Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Phantom Runny Nose
MomBoss 07:17 AM 02-08-2019
Every 30sec-1min dcb 2 asks me to wipe his nose. There is nothing there!! I humored him a couple times and wiped his nose. But its really taking up my time now, time away from doing activities with the kids (imagine stopping a story every 30 secs to wipe his nose) and if i wash my hands every 30seconds they will be super raw. He will keep asking and asking and eventually start throwing a tantrum if i dont do it. We are going on a 2 weeks of this. Im so done. I posted this in the venting thread a few days ago but now i feel like i need advice because im going insane! The way my set up is, i would have to supervise him everytime he went to the bathroom to wipe it himself, i also dont want him to go threw an entire tissue box or roll of toilet paper in one day. Ive also tried showing him in the mirror that there is nothing running down his nose, doesnt work. I also gave him a tissue to keep in his pocket to wipe it himself, he leaves it on the floor- gross.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 02-08-2019
I'd spend my efforts teaching him how to wipe properly, as well as how to keep a tissue in his pocket verses tossing it on the floor. If he's old enough to ask you to wipe his nose for him, he's big enough to learn proper "cold maintenance".

I have parents bring a box of tissue every month. It really helps me afford to have plenty of tissues as we all know how quickly kids can use up an entire box.

If his symptoms worsen or cause issues in participation I would send him home to rest. This time of year is tough.

Hang in there. It seems some kids have faucets for noses no matter what we do.
MomBoss 07:31 AM 02-08-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd spend my efforts teaching him how to wipe properly, as well as how to keep a tissue in his pocket verses tossing it on the floor. If he's old enough to ask you to wipe his nose for him, he's big enough to learn proper "cold maintenance".

I have parents bring a box of tissue every month. It really helps me afford to have plenty of tissues as we all know how quickly kids can use up an entire box.

If his symptoms worsen or cause issues in participation I would send him home to rest. This time of year is tough.

Hang in there. It seems some kids have faucets for noses no matter what we do.
But there is nothing there, his nose isnt running at all. So i dont know what i would be sending home for. i just find the whole situation annoying, it would be one thing if he actaully needed his nose wiped lol
Firefly 07:35 AM 02-08-2019
Does he actually have a cold? Or does he always do this?
MomBoss 07:37 AM 02-08-2019
Originally Posted by Firefly:
Does he actually have a cold? Or does he always do this?
No cold. No cough, nothing. He just started doing this 2 weeks ago.
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 02-08-2019
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
But there is nothing there, his nose isnt running at all. So i dont know what i would be sending home for. i just find the whole situation annoying, it would be one thing if he actaully needed his nose wiped lol
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
No cold. No cough, nothing. He just started doing this 2 weeks ago.
In that case, I'd just say "no."

If he needs a tissue (for real) he can ask or do it himself.
If he really doesn't have a runny nose or need for a tissue, tell him no. Stop.

I have kids that use tissues just because.... if it gets out of hand, I just say "Enough. Stop. You do not need a tissue. Go play!"

Rinse and repeat.

Again, hang in there....kids are weird sometimes.
Their behavior even weirder....lol!

Thank goodness it's Friday!
Ariana 08:08 AM 02-08-2019
Since there’s nothing there, I would give him a tissue to carry around. Then he can wipe as needed. Change out the tissue every once in a while. If this will save your sanity I would do it. I would also do a thorough inspection of his nasal cavity to see if there is something stuck up there.
Tin Blues 08:08 AM 02-08-2019
How about an old fashioned cloth handkerchief he could keep in his pocket?
Snowmom 08:25 AM 02-08-2019
As Blackcat suggested, I'd just say "no. there is nothing there, go play.".

If he has a breakdown, then I'd give him a safe spot to have his meltdown. Then ignore the disruption. Every time.
It'll stop when he's not getting the attention he wanted it to.
e.j. 08:35 AM 02-08-2019
My nose doesn't run but it itches sometimes and I feel like something is there even when there's nothing in my nose. I'll blow my nose and wipe it and for a few minutes, it feels fine and then the tickle and the feeling that something is there comes back. I go through the cycle many times and then the feeling goes away. I don't know what causes it but I wonder if he's feeling something similar. Even as an adult, it can feel very frustrating when it's happening. I think giving him a cloth and teaching him to wipe his own nose with it is a good idea if he'll do it.
Mom2Two 02:02 PM 02-08-2019
Or even give him a thin wash cloth or rag to keep in his pocket. He can rub his nose with it and it won't tear like a tissue would.
Tin Blues 02:25 PM 02-08-2019
An itchy nose can sometimes go along with asthma or allergies.
knoxmomof2 08:39 AM 02-09-2019
The first time he says it, check his nose to make sure there's nothing. If not, give him 1 tissue. Tell him "here's your tissue for the day. If your nose is runny, wipe it. Keep it in your pocket (or his Cubby, etc). If you leave it anywhere else, I'll throw it away and you don't get another one until tomorrow." If you find it, tell him "DCB, your tissue was on the floor, not in your pocket. We don't want to share germs with our friends so I'm going to throw it away now. All gone!" and do it. If he throws a fit, give him a corner to cry in, tell him he's welcome to come out when he calms down. If he says anything else about his nose - just say" the tissue is all gone. Try again tomorrow" and go on. Eventually, he'll get it. He'll either quit with the "runny nose" or he'll learn to keep his tissue and handle the "runny nose" himself.
Reply Up