Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Strange WWYD issue
sahm2three 12:55 PM 04-23-2010
Ok, I have a strange WWYD (what would you do) issue. I have a couple DCB's that have this habit of taking their shirts off during quiet time. I have NO idea what it's about. The mom doesn't seem to have a problem with it, but I don't think it is appropriate. Am I over thinking it?
grandmom 01:00 PM 04-23-2010
I am very modest, so my policy is shirts and shorts/pants on for everyone, even in the sprinkler. I'd just tell them to put their shirts back on. And have their nap mats near mine till they stopped trying.

Good luck.
Daycare Mommy 01:06 PM 04-23-2010
I'd not be concerned about it per se. It's probably something as innocent and simple as their dad takes his shirt off when he's relaxing after work. My son did that last summer with my husband. Dh would come home from work and relax on the bed with his little "mini me" beside him who also HAD to take his shirt off to be just like daddy. That said, I would still not allow them to do it in daycare.
Joyce503 04:31 PM 04-23-2010
What am I missing? Boys removing shirts... problem is??? Are they touching themselves or anyone else inappropriately? Are they using the shirt to hurt someone, or flinging it around, etc? Otherwise, sounds fine and dandy to me. If it starts a trend and others start to undress, then you might want to do something. Otherwise... not a problem IMO.
Vesta 06:51 PM 04-23-2010
I had a 3 year old that struggled with falling asleep every day at nap. Finally one day he let out a big old sigh and said, "Ms. Val, please can I take my shirt off?" I let him take it off, and he fell asleep within a couple of minutes. He just couldn't get comfortable with it on. It was summertime also.
I can sympathize because I can't sleep in anything that has the possibility of wrapping around me, if something is too loose.
I guess I would let it go for girls also if it was a question of comfort. Haven't crossed that bridge though, all of the girls I've had in care have been too modest for that.
If the kids and their parents don't care, I don't really care either, but only during nap, and only shirts.
sahm2three 07:26 PM 04-23-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce503:
What am I missing? Boys removing shirts... problem is??? Are they touching themselves or anyone else inappropriately? Are they using the shirt to hurt someone, or flinging it around, etc? Otherwise, sounds fine and dandy to me. If it starts a trend and others start to undress, then you might want to do something. Otherwise... not a problem IMO.
Yeah, the problem is it spreads like wildfire and all the sudden everyone is half naked! Wouldn't that be a sight to see for the state if they were to show up! LOL!
kiddieshack 07:38 PM 04-23-2010
I guess you wouldn't want my 23 mo old son in your daycare's..When I get him up from rest time most days, He's completely naked standing in his crib. I figure it's a faze. I wouldn't worry about the kids taking there shirts off unless everyone started to do it. Maybe reward charts?
jen 10:36 AM 04-24-2010
Hmmm...the only thing I would say is this...do you have girls in care and if so, are they allowed to take off their shirt?

For me I wouldn't allow it for the boys because I wouldn't allow it for the girls..
DBug 03:29 PM 04-24-2010
Yep, I agree with jen -- there are no gender-based rules here. If girls aren't allowed to do it, then neither are the boys. We are all equal after all, aren't we
originalkat 04:30 PM 04-24-2010
I dont have a problem with a boy taking off his shirt in general...but I do not allow the kids to take off their clothes at daycare. There is no reason for it and like the others said pretty soon everyone would be on their mats naked!
Tags:undressing
Reply Up