Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Family Daycare, Daycare Center, or what?
SDMom 01:08 PM 06-20-2008
Hi there,
I am looking into starting a daycare. However, because I do not think that our home is set up properly for one, I am planning to rent a house in town and run one there. Does this automatically make me a 'Daycare Center', or can I still be qualified as a 'family daycare'?

67:42:03:01. Definition of family day care.

Family day care means the provision of regular care and supervision of no more than 12 children including the provider's own children who are under the age of six years for part of a 24-hour period as a supplement to regular parental care.

67:42:10:00. Definition of day care center.

A day care center is a facility for the care and supervision of 21 or more children on a regular basis for part of a day as a supplement to regular parental care.

The reason I ask is not concerning the number of children that I can have, but rather the qualifications for each:

67:42:03:06. Qualifications of a family day care provider.

A family day care provider must meet the following requirements:

(1) The provider must be at least 18 years of age;

(2) The provider may not have on record a substantiated report of child abuse or neglect;

(3) If the provider owes child support arrearages which total $1,000 or more, the provider must have a satisfactory arrangement with the Office of Child Support Enforcement for the repayment of those arrearages;

(4) The provider must be a stable, emotionally mature individual of reputable character; and

(5) The provider shall demonstrate the ability to provide care for children that attends to the child's physical growth and development and to the physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of the child.

Family members ten years of age and older or any other individual who is living in the home may not have a substantiated record of child abuse or neglect or a conviction of a crime of violence as defined by SDCL 22-1-2.

The provider's family and household composition and relationships may not adversely affect a child in care.

67:42:10:02.01. Qualifications for individual responsible for program planning and staff supervision.

The individual responsible for planning and implementing the program of the day care center and for supervising staff must be at least 18 years of age, may not have on record a substantiated report of child abuse or neglect, and must meet one of the following requirements:

(1) Have a bachelor's degree in the field of education or human development and at least two years of experience in a child care setting;

(2) Have a bachelor's degree in elementary education and at least two years of experience in a child care setting if the center cares for preschool-aged children;

(3) Have a bachelor's degree in elementary education if the center cares for school-aged children only;

(4) Have a bachelor's degree in the field of early childhood education;

(5) Have an associate of arts degree in the field of early childhood development;

(6) Be certified as a child development associate;

(7) Have a prekindergarten teacher endorsement;

(8) Hold certification in a Montessori teacher training program and have at least one year of experience in Montessori school or child care setting; or

(9) Have a child development technician diploma.

I don't have a degree in the educational area above. What exactly is a daycare center as opposed to what I want to do. I am planning to rent a house in a residential area and run it just the same as if I were living there all of the time except I wouldn't be doing evenings regardless of where I run it.

And what is a 'group family day care' anyway?

67:42:04:01. Definition of group family day care home.

Group family day care means the provision of regular care and supervision of 13 to 20 children either in the provider's home or in a facility outside the provider's home for part of a 24-hour period as a supplement to regular parental care.

I don't get the difference between this and a family day care except for the number of children!!!

Can someone help clarify the differences???

Thanks,
SDMom
Texasjeepgirl 10:13 AM 08-05-2008
What state do you live in???
Tags:regulations, south dakota, start a daycare business
Reply Up