Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When to call for pickup?
LadyPearl 09:12 AM 02-25-2014
How long would you keep 2 new kids (first day) who are crying and screaming uncontrollably and it's naptime for the other kids??? It's been about 45 minutes and causing total chaos?
cara041083 09:23 AM 02-25-2014
Since it's the first day I would hold off. They aren't used to u or your house. It will take a few days to get adjusted and feel comfortable. That being said I would Def speak to the parents about your concerns because it will take both of u to get them to be comfortable in your care. to u. I feel your pain. I started a Lil girl today. She's not crying but she's trying to be the boss of all the kids lol.
LadyPearl 09:29 AM 02-25-2014
My concern is that since they are drop-in care this will be the norm when they are here. Nap is an hour overdue but they nap on an entirely different schedule....entirely different. Like I can't accomodate it different.
daycarediva 09:35 AM 02-25-2014
I would just not be available the next time they needed drop in care. It is NOT worth it.
cara041083 09:43 AM 02-25-2014
I'm sorry then I didn't know they were drop in Care. Yes then I would call for pick up. Unfortunately with drop in care they aren't gona be there long enough to be comfortable.
lovemykidstoo 09:57 AM 02-25-2014
How old are the 2?
LadyPearl 09:59 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
How old are the 2?
13 months and almost 3. Still screaming!
lovemykidstoo 10:14 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by LadyPearl:
13 months and almost 3. Still screaming!
How often are they supposed to drop in? How many more hours do you have with them?
My3cents 10:28 AM 02-25-2014
My concern is that since they are drop-in care this will be the norm when they are here. Nap is an hour overdue but they nap on an entirely different schedule....entirely different. Like I can't accomodate it different.
you answered your own question-

If you don't want to give it a chance then you should term care within your two week trial period-
My3cents 10:32 AM 02-25-2014
How long would you keep 2 new kids (first day) who are crying and screaming uncontrollably and it's naptime for the other kids??? It's been about 45 minutes and causing total chaos?
try separating them
own room if your able to do that
rock the little one
or have a quiet place they can be up for a couple of hours, with quiet activities

drop in care can be hard

if after you have pulled out all the tricks of your hat, then I would call Mom and just tell her its not working out, or be unavailable for next time- It's not worth it.
mema 10:39 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would just not be available the next time they needed drop in care. It is NOT worth it.

Try to stick out today if possible and then just don't take them again. I have had hit and misses with drop in. The few that worked out, had either been here previously for care and left needing longer hours or were older and could understand that quiet time is just that, quiet.
preschoolteacher 10:47 AM 02-25-2014
I wouldn't stick it out. I've been there with a drop in screamer. It was 4 hours of screaming before parents came, though I called much earlier.

It's not fair to the other kids to hear that. It's stressful.
It's not fair to the screaming kid to be so upset.
As a parent, I would want to know.

I adopted BC's policy of putting a time limit on crying at drop off. Can't remember her limit, but mine is 20 minutes and then I call if they show zero signs of calming.
LadyPearl 10:48 AM 02-25-2014
I ended up texting for pick-up. They seem like a nice family but the kids have never been to daycare. Dcd is getting ready to leave for military training so dcm will be on her own for a really long time. Not sure if it will work but they came today for a trial day. My kids are home on school vaca so we have more bodies in the house. They couldn't apologize enough for the disruption. Very friendly demeanor but just not so sure how well the kids will adjust.....
LadyPearl 10:50 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
How often are they supposed to drop in? How many more hours do you have with them?
Dcm is a substitute teacher so it will depend on how often local schools contact her. A typical day will about 7:30-3:30. Today was only 10:30 -1:30 (I had them pick-up)
Blackcat31 11:04 AM 02-25-2014
My policy says if a child does not gain sufficient control of themselves within 45 minutes of drop off, the parent will be called and asked to come pick up the child.

I would not subject my other daycare kids to that for more than 45 minutes tops.
LadyPearl 11:39 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My policy says if a child does not gain sufficient control of themselves within 45 minutes of drop off, the parent will be called and asked to come pick up the child.

I would not subject my other daycare kids to that for more than 45 minutes tops.
That's a good policy. I might just add something like that to mine! It's amazing how much chaos one child can create!
Cradle2crayons 11:46 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have the same type of policy for drop ins. They don't disrupt nap time though because I can separate them. Depending in age, is what depends on e time frame. Or if I have a drop in infant and they refuse to eat, I call for pick up etc.

I explain this to drop in parents extensively.

It's not good for anyone involved.
LadyPearl 11:48 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I have the same type of policy for drop ins. They don't disrupt nap time though because I can separate them. Depending in age, is what depends on e time frame. Or if I have a drop in infant and they refuse to eat, I call for pick up etc.

I explain this to drop in parents extensively.

It's not good for anyone involved.

I'm not able to separate them. I struggle enough keeping my kids quiet when they are off from school! I send them upstairs.
Cradle2crayons 11:56 AM 02-25-2014
I'm not able to separate them. I struggle enough keeping my kids quiet when they are off from school! I send them upstairs.
Not being able to separate them and nap interruption would make the need for pick up much more important.
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 02-25-2014
That's a good policy. I might just add something like that to mine! It's amazing how much chaos one child can create!
I know right?

I am not trying to be harsh in regards to new kids and all. I understand it takes a while for newbies to fit in and feel comfortable but I have to always remember that I am caring for a group of kids and it isn't fair to the others (or myself) to endure crying spells that are uncontrollable or bordering on hysterics.

It isn't in anyone's best interests.

Families really need to do more to prepare their child for care when they make the decision to enroll.
Reply Up