Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Switching Days To Make Up For Their Paid Vacation Days
Indoorvoice 10:42 AM 03-26-2015
I know I've read about this before here, but I can't find it. I have a teacher family who comes 2 days a week. They pay a flat rate for the 2 days regardless of if they come or not. Dcm has spring break in 2 weeks and wants to keep her daughter home. She asked if next week she could send her daughter 3 days, the following week keep her home, and then send her for 3 days the week after spring break, then go back to her normal 2 day a week schedule. This would make up for the 2 days they are paying for over spring break but not using. I actually could accommodate it no problem, but I kind of feel that while this is fair for them, it's kind of extra work for me... Or am I just being selfish? Haha. Would you let parents swap days during different weeks like that if you could accommodate it?
Heidi 10:50 AM 03-26-2015
no...they pay for their spot, which is two days a week. The only way I'd do it is if it served me; because in theory, they could bring her during spring break.

At most, I'd compromise and give them one day. I let my 4-day a week kiddo switch once in a while, and she switches for me once in a while. Sometimes compromises are fine, if they work in both parties favor.
Unregistered 10:51 AM 03-26-2015
I would say no. Just say that she is welcome to bring them o their regular days, but any extra days would be charged. If she wants to keep them home, that is her choice, not your problem.
Crazy8 10:53 AM 03-26-2015
I would not allow that. I have it stated in my contract that part timers are not able to switch days to avoid paying for my closed holidays/paid vacation days if those days fall on their regularly scheduled days. Now if I have a part timer who does not have set days (I only offer this for my before school kids right now) then they can pick their days around the days I am closed, but ones who have set days can not.

But are you even closed her spring break week? It doesn't sound like you are so I would just state that the child is contracted for 2 days per week and therefore can come the days she is on break or not but you are not able to add the days to other weeks.

ETA: you could be opening a can of worms by allowing it too - if she is sick a day she may want a 3rd day the following week. If you have a day you are closed she may want a 3rd day the following week, etc. etc. If its something you are ok with fine, but I would want to stick with the 2 days per week - even if you are sometimes flexible on switching the days.
Blackcat31 10:55 AM 03-26-2015
If I am open and available for care, the family pays for their minimum days.

NOT your problem that she has a week off.

It would be awesome if just once, I heard a parent actually say, "I know I am paying to save the space but my child won't be attending because I would like to spend some time with them"
Just once.

One time...even if they said it to a friend.....

.....Or posted it on Facebook.....
.....Or whispered it.....
.....Or signed it.....
....Or wrote it out.....
...in Spanish.....

Just once.

Oh, who am I kidding right?!?
Thriftylady 10:57 AM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I would not allow that. I have it stated in my contract that part timers are not able to switch days to avoid paying for my closed holidays/paid vacation days if those days fall on their regularly scheduled days. Now if I have a part timer who does not have set days (I only offer this for my before school kids right now) then they can pick their days around the days I am closed, but ones who have set days can not.

But are you even closed her spring break week? It doesn't sound like you are so I would just state that the child is contracted for 2 days per week and therefore can come the days she is on break or not but you are not able to add the days to other weeks.

ETA: you could be opening a can of worms by allowing it too - if she is sick a day she may want a 3rd day the following week. If you have a day you are closed she may want a 3rd day the following week, etc. etc. If its something you are ok with fine, but I would want to stick with the 2 days per week - even if you are sometimes flexible on switching the days.
I agree with this, off to edit my contract lol.
finsup 11:02 AM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:

Yup, I would be worried about but he future problems that could arise. Doing it once seems like no big deal, just helping out etc but chances are they will expect it time and time again. Easier to not even go down that route even if you can accommodate it.
Indoorvoice 12:32 PM 03-26-2015
Ugh, ok you guys are totally right. But I don't have anything in my contract about this.. Never even occurred to me that they would want to do this! Still ok to say no?
Indoorvoice 12:35 PM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

It would be awesome if just once, I heard a parent actually say, "I know I am paying to save the space but my child won't be attending because I would like to spend some time with them"
Just once.

.....Or signed it.....
....Or wrote it out.....
...in Spanish.....

Just once.

I love this! But yeah, never gonna happen!
daycare 12:54 PM 03-26-2015
I don't allow day transfers.

If you sign, I cover you with my insurance for 2 days a week
I purchase your food for 2 days and set up our curriculum for those two days.

We are at capacity every day anyways, so more than likely we would not be able to accommodate you for capacity reasons.

IF I knew that I could possibly allow a transfer to a family that has worked well with me for a long time, I might allow for it, BUT I would never offer it up and would never do it without charging.

You pay for M-W-F and you want to come on Tuesday, you will pay me for that day.

No day transfers, its too much of a mess.
AuntTami 01:00 PM 03-26-2015

Just once.

.....Or signed it.....
....Or wrote it out.....
...in Spanish.....

Just once.

I actually have this mom. She's awesome. The kids dad came to visit from North Carolina 2 weeks ago and she kept him home so he could see his dad but didn't even bat an eye over paying full price!

She also kept him home with grandma this last Sunday so I could "have a day off"(her exact words) but she still pays for the spot.

She's amazing and totally "gets" that this is my job and if I'm available to care for the kiddo, she has to pay regardless of whether I actually do or not! Wish I could clone her AND her perfect kiddo!
Unregistered 09:34 AM 04-14-2015

Just once.

.....Or signed it.....
....Or wrote it out.....
...in Spanish.....

Just once.

My wife runs a small home daycare and I've thought this EXACT thing to myself a MILLION times. Honestly, I wonder why some of these people have children...
Unregistered 09:49 AM 04-14-2015

Just once.

.....Or signed it.....
....Or wrote it out.....
...in Spanish.....

Just once.

So true!! When my dd was in daycare I always took her out on my days off, of if I got up early. I always felt bad that I got a break from work then why shouldn't she have a break to.
LysesKids 10:19 AM 04-14-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't allow day transfers.

If you sign, I cover you with my insurance for 2 days a week
I purchase your food for 2 days and set up our curriculum for those two days.

We are at capacity every day anyways, so more than likely we would not be able to accommodate you for capacity reasons.

IF I knew that I could possibly allow a transfer to a family that has worked well with me for a long time, I might allow for it, BUT I would never offer it up and would never do it without charging.

You pay for M-W-F and you want to come on Tuesday, you will pay me for that day.

No day transfers, its too much of a mess.
All my babes are PT at the moment... I allow 2 of my PT families rotating schedules, but they pay extra for it AND I need to know schedules the Friday before (one parent pays the minimum of 3 days but ends up using 4 most weeks, the other just uses 3 days). If you have set schedule, nope, you don't get to trade because you paid a lower fee from the get go... you want the option to switch, then your fee increases and not just that week, but permanently. Now my families can always pay extra for a drop-in day too, but that depends on a spot being open lol.

I filled one of my set schedule family's "off" days with Drop-in foster kids (regularly scheduled, but only 1 or 2 days week)... pissed her off she couldn't get a drop-in spot last week
rosieteddy 08:12 AM 04-15-2015
I had a teacher contract and did not allow attendance on vacation weeks.That was considered my vacation that I take in the summer from the full year clients. I would hold their spot for the summer with a two week fee applied to the first two weeks of care when school restarted. Non refundable of course.
TheGoodLife 08:51 AM 04-15-2015
This always reminds me of when I was the daycare parent. My husband had Mondays and Tuesdays off his FT job, so my girls were just W-F. Well, then he picked up an overnight PT job and worked until 3 or 3:30 sunday nights. If I had a vacation day at the school, I would ask to trade that daycare day for Monday- so I could keep my girls home with me when I was off, but still use the 3 days by taking them Monday. NOT so that my husband had a day off necessarily, but to allow him to sleep since Mondays he didn't get to bed until about 4AM and then had to be up with the kids when I went to work at 8:15. My provider never said anything and always allowed it, but I wonder if she felt slighted
AmyKidsCo 08:33 PM 04-15-2015
Yes, you can come for 3 days, if you pay for the extra day. AND you still pay for the 2 days as contracted.
Bookworm 08:40 PM 04-15-2015

Just once.

.....Or signed it.....
....Or wrote it out.....
...in Spanish.....

Just once.

😆. That made me laugh.
Indoorvoice 05:00 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
This always reminds me of when I was the daycare parent. My husband had Mondays and Tuesdays off his FT job, so my girls were just W-F. Well, then he picked up an overnight PT job and worked until 3 or 3:30 sunday nights. If I had a vacation day at the school, I would ask to trade that daycare day for Monday- so I could keep my girls home with me when I was off, but still use the 3 days by taking them Monday. NOT so that my husband had a day off necessarily, but to allow him to sleep since Mondays he didn't get to bed until about 4AM and then had to be up with the kids when I went to work at 8:15. My provider never said anything and always allowed it, but I wonder if she felt slighted
Oh my goodness. I was the WORST dcp when my dd was in daycare. I didn't even realize! My poor daycare provider. Whenever I see her I apologize now.
itlw8 10:09 AM 04-16-2015
I would say you are welcome to send your child 3 days a week but you will need to pay for that 3rd day and normal fee is still due when child is not in attendance.
Reply Up