Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Worry About What Your House Looks Like For Pick Up Time?
Soccermom 12:02 PM 10-15-2012
I am constantly trying to tidy before DCPS arrive but most days I can't keep on top of it. There are crumbs all over the floor from snack time, dishes in the sink from snack time, books lying about, my own SA kids papers from school that day all over the counter, little rocks and dirt all over the floor in the entrace from the kids coming in and out, not to mention the toys and markers all over the place lol!
I want things to be neat and tidy for when DPCS arrive but it never is and I hate it!
I scramble every afternoon to get things in order but a DCP always arrives early to pick up and I feel so embarrassed.
Before doing childcare my house was my priority and it was always spotless. Now I find it hard to find even one area that even comes close to what it used to look like!
Does it bother anyone else when their house is not in tip top shape for pick up?
dave4him 12:05 PM 10-15-2012
Really i do not. I do worry about what it will look like when my wife gets home though. Shes the only one who i really care what she thinks.
Kind of annoying when my MIL says i need to get a maid
Michelle 12:14 PM 10-15-2012
as long as it's safe and there are no marker lids or crayons that kids can choke on laying on the floor, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't want anything sticky stuck to the floor or half eaten sandwiches.... but little crumbs... eh don't worry

I know what you mean about enjoying a clean house though, Every Friday night my dd and I do the Friday Night "toy purge"We throw all the toys, baby devices , etc. in the playroom, I do all the floors and surfaces and just love how the house looks on the weekend!!!
originalkat 12:33 PM 10-15-2012
I don't worry about it, but usually I have the kids all clean up by 4:30 so we can get ready to go for pick-ups. Most of my kids leave between 4:30-5:30. While we wait for parents we usually:
- Go outside
-Storytime
- Color at the table
-Books or puzzles on the rug
-A math box that has to stay on the tables
That way I dont have to worry about everything being a wreck at pick-up. As far as crumbs and stuff I usually try to sweep them up directly after snack (or better yet we eat snack outside so there is no mess!).
countrymom 12:40 PM 10-15-2012
I clean up at nap time and after the nap, the kids have been taught that they can't make a big mess. Also, when my kids come home they put their own stuff away and leave the lunch pails on the counter with their papers under their lunches bags. Its rare that my house isn't neat when dcp's show up.
sharlan 01:40 PM 10-15-2012
Nope. My house is pretty spotless when they come in the morning. I tidy through out the day, but don't really clean.
daycare 01:53 PM 10-15-2012
I clean as I go all day long. After each meal I vacuum, beucase I can't stand food on the floor.

at 4:45, everyone starts to clean up for our day. This means everything cleaned up. Including all the tables and chairs cleaned, put up, every toy away in their place and everything wiped down. All dishes are done and all trash gets taken out. It is all usually done by 5:15, which is when most of my kids leave for the day.

those that are here until 6, we read, color or draw with color books.

I dont care what my house looks like, but I do have it cleaned by pick up.
sharlan 01:55 PM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I clean as I go all day long. After each meal I vacuum, beucase I can't stand food on the floor.

at 4:45, everyone starts to clean up for our day. This means everything cleaned up. Including all the tables and chairs cleaned, put up, every toy away in their place and everything wiped down. All dishes are done and all trash gets taken out. It is all usually done by 5:15, which is when most of my kids leave for the day.

those that are here until 6, we read, color or draw with color books.

I dont care what my house looks like, but I do have it cleaned by pick up.
My #1 failure as a provider is to make the kids clean as they play, or to even pick up at the end of the day. After 28 years, I probably won't ever get it down.
Blackcat31 01:56 PM 10-15-2012
Nope. I am who I am and you get what you see.

I am a clean as you go along kind of gal but if at the end of the day, the place is a mess, I couldn't care less as long as the kids are happy and safe and had a great day.

If I spent my whole day deep clenaing and making sure the house looked presentable, there wouldn't be anyone to have watched the DCK's so....I totally think parents "get it".
daycare 02:02 PM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
My #1 failure as a provider is to make the kids clean as they play, or to even pick up at the end of the day. After 28 years, I probably won't ever get it down.
I think we all have one thing that we could really improve on,,,,I must say that I have a lot more than one thing.

But the clean as you go thing is a must. We have a lot of toys and 3 huge rooms, so imagine the mess they could make if I let them. I also can't stand to step or trip on toys after having broke my arm 8 years ago taking flight over a small dump truck left on the ground. plus I think that it teaches them a good habit of being responsible for their actions...

Now if I can only get all of the other things I need to improve on checked off my list..
daycarediva 02:46 PM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I clean up at nap time and after the nap, the kids have been taught that they can't make a big mess. Also, when my kids come home they put their own stuff away and leave the lunch pails on the counter with their papers under their lunches bags. Its rare that my house isn't neat when dcp's show up.
this is what I do. I got heavy duty magnets and put my kids names on them. Papers go on the magnet/fridge. They toss lunch pail crumbs and put their things away. If it isn't perfect, I don't care anymore. I am getting paid to take care of the kids, and honestly if I was a parent and it was ALWAYS clean I would wonder, kwim? That being said, my house always is always clean in the morning, I am a stickler for a clean house.
Brooksie 03:05 PM 10-15-2012
I try to clean as I go throughout the day to maintain safety for the kids. My big pet peeve is hazards strewn about the floor; Blocks and play food and farm animals. lol. But if there are dishes in the sink from snack/lunch and the counters are a little cluttered I could care less. Whats important is that the kids are enjoying themselves in a safe and loving environment, not if your house is spotless. Not to mention, if there are multiple kids in the house its unrealistic to walk into a room and expect it to be spick and span.
Alice Of Legend 03:24 PM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I don't worry about it, but usually I have the kids all clean up by 4:30 so we can get ready to go for pick-ups. Most of my kids leave between 4:30-5:30. While we wait for parents we usually:
- Go outside
-Storytime
- Color at the table
-Books or puzzles on the rug
-A math box that has to stay on the tables
That way I dont have to worry about everything being a wreck at pick-up. As far as crumbs and stuff I usually try to sweep them up directly after snack (or better yet we eat snack outside so there is no mess!).
This is what I do as well. I try to clean as I go as well most of the time but in reality there is a lot of little things that need to be done by the end of the day. The majority of my kids go home between 515-545 so at 5 we clean up, get everyone stuff together, and then do activities at the tables or one group activity on the floor together.

Thankfully my kitchen sink is just out of view of the front door so DCPs don't get a view of that mess!

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If I spent my whole day deep clenaing and making sure the house looked presentable, there wouldn't be anyone to have watched the DCK's so....I totally think parents "get it".
I agree!
spud912 03:56 PM 10-15-2012
I clean before and during nap time. When the kids all wake up at around 3ish, they eat snack. As the kids get down from snack, I wash their hands and faces, their dishes and their seating area (the table and sweep the floor). The kids don't usually make a huge toy mess, but I do have them clean up around 4:30/4:45ish. Then we usually play table games for the remainder of the day. The house is clean, but the parents who pick up before 4:30 will usually see a minor toy mess. The parents who pick up after 5 frequently comment on how clean it is. The cleanliness is the same as always, it's just tidy.

My only kryptonite is the daily laundry. I usually pile it on our loveseat and I don't always get to it by the end of the day. I always do a load of laundry during nap time for white noise (and because it needs to get done), so if I have a busy day, I don't always fold it and put it away.
Nickel 04:06 PM 10-15-2012
I always make sure the house is clean in the morning for drop off, for pick up not so much unless I have to leave right after pick up. But it is never a huge mess. We clean up several times a day as far as toys go. mainly before we go outside, before meals, etc. But sometimes its all I can do to get lunch dishes IN the sink.

I do not let my SA throw their stuff around though! Papers must be put nicely on the counter, lunch pails in their designated spots and book bags and jackets put up. My SA can make a bigger mess than all 3 kiddos with just what she comes home with! I do attempt to sweep the floor but if it's still messy, oh well. We played hard!!!
EchoMom 07:37 PM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I always make sure the house is clean in the morning for drop off, for pick up not so much unless I have to leave right after pick up. But it is never a huge mess. We clean up several times a day as far as toys go. mainly before we go outside, before meals, etc. But sometimes its all I can do to get lunch dishes IN the sink.
I'm opposite of this. House is usually WORSE looking at drop-off in the morning and MUCH cleaner at pick-up at the end of the day! I do a lot of cleaning during the day while the kids free play or nap.

I just CANNOT bring myself to wake up more than 15 minutes before DCKs arrive, so I only have time to barely pick up in the morning whatever messes my family made the night before.
mom2many 08:14 PM 10-15-2012
It truly depends on the day and how busy it is and which dcks are with me at closing, as to how it looks when the parents all arrive.

I always try to stay on top of things and keep toys in the playroom/office, but dishes may be in the sink and there may be toys all over the floor where the kids are still playing.

I clean the dining room floor after meals, because I have an infant that crawls and hate a dirty floor. The kitchen table is usually strewn with papers, pens and art projects, but everything else is usually put away.

I always make sure that my house is ready for the next day and that everything is in its place when the last child leaves.
MN Mom 04:14 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
My only kryptonite is the daily laundry. I usually pile it on our loveseat and I don't always get to it by the end of the day. I always do a load of laundry during nap time for white noise (and because it needs to get done), so if I have a busy day, I don't always fold it and put it away.
I have a giant laundry monster in my basement laundry room! Maybe we could introduce your pile to my pile so they can fall in love, get married, and go start a life of their own far far far away?
My3cents 04:34 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
I have a giant laundry monster in my basement laundry room! Maybe we could introduce your pile to my pile so they can fall in love, get married, and go start a life of their own far far far away?
My piles have intermated, so that their kidlets are all over the place.
No marriage here, they are just doing the bunny thing. LOL Mine just need to find each other and go where they belong, socks and drawers. I just wish they could grow legs and put themselves away~

Thanks for the chuckle-- never ending laundry here

kidding but if the piles keep growing and they do grow legs they will be able to cut a hole in the ceiling and run away---- tee hee
SilverSabre25 04:54 AM 10-16-2012
I do care what my house looks like at pick-up...but I don't try *too* hard. I try to keep it neat during the day but if a parent sees a part that's not usually "public" then I just toss out an apology for the mess. Honestly? Almost every one has always said, "Oh, don't worry; it's cleaner than my place!"
countrymom 06:13 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
My piles have intermated, so that their kidlets are all over the place.
No marriage here, they are just doing the bunny thing. LOL Mine just need to find each other and go where they belong, socks and drawers. I just wish they could grow legs and put themselves away~

Thanks for the chuckle-- never ending laundry here

kidding but if the piles keep growing and they do grow legs they will be able to cut a hole in the ceiling and run away---- tee hee
well last week we had to put in a new hot water tank. And since we are constantly missing socks, I asked dh if he could check the crawl space (since he was down there anyways) to see if some of the socks had wondered off out of the washing machine and into the crawl space, he started laughing. But I was dead serious.
iheartkids 11:11 AM 10-16-2012
I've actually had people call me looking for a new provided because they noticed that their provider spends more time cleaning than with the kids. I always chuckle and say you could not say that here! I make sure my house looks presentable when they drop off but do not worry about pick up. I clean what I can as I go. If I have a chance I will do the dishes but I seldom get the chance when I have a baby to care for and kids to potty train. I apologize often for the mess but the parents are always understanding it.
daymommy 01:36 PM 10-16-2012
nope, but I'm lucky and have a split so parents never come out of the entry to even see the mess. I do try to tidy up the upstairs while the kids are having snack because I know the mess bothers DH when he gets home from work. After snack we either head outside or downstairs. Usually we'll do a pick up time with the kids that are left around 5, but that's just so me and my kids don't get stuck doing it by ourselves. Once daycare kids are gone I like to be able to move on with our night. Our family room is also the daycare area so I can't just shut the door on it.
Creek 01:49 PM 10-16-2012
Parents come in my side entrance (where the DCK have their cubbies, etc) At that entrance you can see into the washroom, kitchen and playroom, lol. I never feel badly about a played in playroom. I DO however, sometimes feel guilty about my messy kitchen. I try and be quiet during nap time so as not to wake my sleepers. If I can tidy quickly at the end of nap time while they are eating snack, that's great. Most times though, I'm happy if I can sweep the floor, fold up the high chairs and wipe down the counters. Full sinks are usually common place! I don't think my DCP care honestly, well they say they don't, lol.
dave4him 02:34 PM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by iheartkids:
I've actually had people call me looking for a new provided because they noticed that their provider spends more time cleaning than with the kids. .
Feels like that sometimes
iheartkids 11:04 AM 10-17-2012
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Feels like that sometimes
I do still feel like I'm cleaning all day but its daycare messes that I'm cleaning up. I wait till after daycare to do any heavy cleaning. At the end of the night if I only have a couple kids I will do my dishes or whatever but you won't see me scrubbing my floors or rearranging my cupboards or anything like that.
thatdivalady 10:07 AM 10-18-2012
I think I'm anal retentive! I am a huge huge fan of having the children clean up as they go. They are not allowed to move on to the next activity in the schedule until they have cleaned up the previous activity. I take care of most cleaning when they nap but I also make it a habit of doing it as I go along or during their moments of free play. It makes it so that the only thing that has to be done at the end of the day is disinfecting toys and sanitizing surfaces. It's a sanity thing because I hate having my house look a mess!
Tags:cleaning, pick up issues, pick up time - appearance
Reply Up