Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cleaning Up Texas Childcare
6colleen 11:14 AM 08-19-2013
Just got this e-mail http://links.govdelivery.com/track?t.../2013press.asp

Thanks DFPS
Play Care 11:21 AM 08-19-2013
That's awesome! My state is supposedly going after illegal dc, but I know there are quite a few in my little town and it seems like they operate forever.
melilley 11:28 AM 08-19-2013
Awesome!!! I wish they would do that here!
Patches 11:34 AM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Me too!
blandino 11:46 AM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
Me too!
There is a girl I went to HS with, who has an illegal daycare very close to us. We actually lost a client with 2 kids to her because she is the father's cousin and transported to Pre-k. She is watching 7 kids without a license, which is going to draw a lot of attention to her, so I think it is only a matter of time before he is reported. Also, don't ask me how she transports 7 kids ?!?

A friend from HS takes her daughter there, and the other day on FB was saying how her daycare keeps catching the 10 mo old playing with her toys in the toilet !!!
Patches 11:58 AM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
There is a girl I went to HS with, who has an illegal daycare very close to us. We actually lost a client with 2 kids to her because she is the father's cousin and transported to Pre-k. She is watching 7 kids without a license, which is going to draw a lot of attention to her, so I think it is only a matter of time before he is reported. Also, don't ask me how she transports 7 kids ?!?

A friend from HS takes her daughter there, and the other day on FB was saying how her daycare keeps catching the 10 mo old playing with her toys in the toilet !!!
What! Scary!
I wish DHS could get 40 employees whose only job was to investigate illegal daycares. Step 1. Look at Craigslist. Step 2. Visit every other post Ok just kidding. But you know it's kind of true
melilley 12:03 PM 08-19-2013
What! Scary!
I wish DHS could get 40 employees whose only job was to investigate illegal daycares. Step 1. Look at Craigslist. Step 2. Visit every other post Ok just kidding. But you know it's kind of true
I wish! I want to be one of those people! People just don't care! There was a provider in my area who actually put up a post for parents to read about finding a licensed provider and to make sure that the post says licensed and of course it was taken down...and you know it was probably flagged by an illegal provider!
blandino 12:06 PM 08-19-2013
What! Scary!
It is !! I will be the one to say it... Instead of coming out to make sure I have every single "I" dotted and "T" crossed, and look at the obvious and very illegal postings everywhere.

Also, it drives me crazy when they try and call it something different. "I'm not an daycare, I am just looking to care for children in my
Home". Guess what ? In OK, that constitutes a daycare. And the thing is, I wouldn't mind if OK had an "unlicensed" option, but we don't, and they are very clear that it is illegal. So it's pretty black and white.

And I have completely hijacked this thread.
6colleen 12:08 PM 08-19-2013
I agree about Craigslist! I bet we'll see less ads here in the DFW area.
melilley 12:09 PM 08-19-2013

Ewwww! It makes you wonder if parents know that it's illegal to run a home daycare (in the state's that it is illegal).
I have a family that came to me from an illegal provider who was recommended to them and that provider (according to the child) put her arms around the child's neck and was mean to the baby. Of course this was coming from a 2.5 year old, but needless to say, the child would cry and didn't want to go there. The parents got the police involved and I don't know what came of it, but when the parents came to interview they made sure I had a license!
blandino 12:15 PM 08-19-2013
Want to know something amazing ?!? I have a current DCF, who came from an illegal daycare. And the dad is a police detective !! And he worked with the husband of the woman who ran the illegal daycare, so that means he was somehow in law enforcement.

Also we had neighbors grandchildren come interview and they were at an illegal daycare, but the dad kept reiterating that it was okay because "her husband was a state trooper".
CedarCreek 12:26 PM 08-19-2013
I got that email today too!

I reposted it on craigslist and on Facebook as a warning. I hope it works! I am tired of losing clients to illegal providers.
SunflowerMama 12:35 PM 08-19-2013
Love it!!

Just got the email today too and shared on facebook and mom's groups!
Patches 01:19 PM 08-19-2013
It is !! I will be the one to say it... Instead of coming out to make sure I have every single "I" dotted and "T" crossed, and look at the obvious and very illegal postings everywhere.

Also, it drives me crazy when they try and call it something different. "I'm not an daycare, I am just looking to care for children in my
Home". Guess what ? In OK, that constitutes a daycare. And the thing is, I wouldn't mind if OK had an "unlicensed" option, but we don't, and they are very clear that it is illegal. So it's pretty black and white.

And I have completely hijacked this thread.
Yes and yes! I agree. It is a really sore subject for me. It drives me crazy to see the ads for "SAHM looking to babysit fulltime" Ummm, that's a daycare.

I'll admit, I did contact a few of them and informed them that it was illegal what they were doing and one got really mad saying stuff like, "do you really need to go around telling people the law" and "Does it really matter? I make sure I do things the right way"......but you can't get licensed "the right way"?
Patches 01:20 PM 08-19-2013
I wish! I want to be one of those people! People just don't care! There was a provider in my area who actually put up a post for parents to read about finding a licensed provider and to make sure that the post says licensed and of course it was taken down...and you know it was probably flagged by an illegal provider!
We have one of those going around CL in our area right now. Hasn't been taken down yet.
Margarete 01:55 PM 08-19-2013
Yes and yes! I agree. It is a really sore subject for me. It drives me crazy to see the ads for "SAHM looking to babysit fulltime" Ummm, that's a daycare.

I'll admit, I did contact a few of them and informed them that it was illegal what they were doing and one got really mad saying stuff like, "do you really need to go around telling people the law" and "Does it really matter? I make sure I do things the right way"......but you can't get licensed "the right way"?
That would be legal in my state. We can watch our own family, plus one additional family of children and be legally 'licensed exempt'. Are there no exemptions in your state? or is it required based on hours instead? I can't imagine having to be licensed to able to occasionally watch a family of kids in your home, but I could understand requirements for full time paid care of non-relatives.
CedarCreek 01:59 PM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by Margarete:
That would be legal in my state. We can watch our own family, plus one additional family of children and be legally 'licensed exempt'. Are there no exemptions in your state? or is it required based on hours instead? I can't imagine having to be licensed to able to occasionally watch a family of kids in your home, but I could understand requirements for full time paid care of non-relatives.
Family is exempt up to 2 here.

However, if they are posting on craigslist they are obviously not looking to just watch family members.
snbauser 02:29 PM 08-19-2013
I wish all states would crack down on illegal daycares. I have no problem with LEGALLY unlicensed but the illegal ones are the ones we see most frequently in the news and are giving the rest of us a bad name. I do have to say that with the state budgets the way they are, I am suprised they hired people for this but I wish they all did.
Starburst 03:04 PM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I wish all states would crack down on illegal daycares. I have no problem with LEGALLY unlicensed but the illegal ones are the ones we see most frequently in the news and are giving the rest of us a bad name. I do have to say that with the state budgets the way they are, I am suprised they hired people for this but I wish they all did.

I am currently (might move) in the same state as Margarete, so having children from more than one family (can even have 3 or more if they are all siblings) in your home other than your own is considered illegal daycare.
Patches 03:10 PM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by Margarete:
It is basically if you watch kids in your home for more than 15 hours per week, you need to be licensed.

Side note:
Some of the posts I was referring to are SAHM who take on multiple children/families, not just one.
melilley 06:55 PM 08-19-2013

I did the same here and one lady said she was licensed and asked why I was afraid of competition and that I shouldn't be. She also said that most people know that you are licensed if you are in the childcare section. I politely told her that she should be an advocate for children and that many providers and parents don't know that it is illegal to care for any unrelated children without a license and that I'm not afraid of competition as I only have one spot open. Low and behold, she hasn't posted on there since. Even if you contact them and tell them what the law is, they still don't care. We can only do so much....
Heidi 06:58 PM 08-19-2013
Me Three!
Jenne 06:21 AM 08-27-2013
I got that email this week too . I am thrilled that they are finally cracking down on them!
Reply Up