Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Infant- WWYD
TheGoodLife 09:57 AM 02-27-2014
I have an 8 month old that was home Tuesday (DCM called that morning to say she had a fever at 6PM mon so I isn't allow her to attend that day). Yesterday she had a total of 4oz formula here and then only 4 at home. DCM came today and said she had 7oz in the AM. Now she's Refusing to eat and only had 1/2oz so far today.
LadyPearl 10:02 AM 02-27-2014
What about the fever?
TheGoodLife 10:07 AM 02-27-2014
No fever, actually lower than average.
TheGoodLife 10:08 AM 02-27-2014
Moms calling her nurse- I just get worried about dehydration (I brought it up yesterday at PU)
TheGoodLife 11:31 AM 02-27-2014
So mom falls and said the nurse suggested feeding her more often (the 1/2 oz was over 3 tries), using a bulb on her nose (I told her I don't use them for liability reasons), and giving her Pedialyte. Her oral temp was 96.8 and underarm 95.8.

WWYD? She doesn't have a high temp to exclude, but I feel DCM should keep her home tomorrow so she can be more comfortable. It's her first time in DC and my own kids and myself have been sick with colds, and DCM says she's been so exhausted with worry, yet she tried to bring her Tuesday after a night of fever and has brought her the past 2 days still very sick Im sure he's thinking "well, she got it from DC, so..." But I still feel uncomfortable with her getting dehydrated and having such a raspy, horse cough and breathing.
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 02-27-2014
My handbook specifically states that any child that goes more than 4 hours without eating anything will be sent home.

If it is a baby on a regular schedule, I would send them home once the went 2 hours beyond a scheduled feeding.

I do NOT want the hassle or the responsibility of a non-eating child.
TheGoodLife 11:58 AM 02-27-2014
BC- would you count Pedialyte as a feeding? It would be (hopefully) keeping her from getting dehydrated, but I am nervous with her being so sick. This is my first time dealing with this (I have been blessed with very healthy kids for the most part and my DCKs have either been a typical cold sick or stayed home)
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
BC- would you count Pedialyte as a feeding? It would be (hopefully) keeping her from getting dehydrated, but I am nervous with her being so sick. This is my first time dealing with this (I have been blessed with very healthy kids for the most part and my DCKs have either been a typical cold sick or stayed home)
I thought Pedialyte was just for sick kids needing to ward off dehydration.

I would insist the child be able and willing to eat a regular diet to be in attendance. At 8 months, she needs more than a couple ounces for a whole day.

I would just tell mom that based on today's over-all behavior, she needs to stay home until her appetite and regular disposition returns.
mema 12:07 PM 02-27-2014
I would say keep her home. If she needs pedialyte, she's too ill.
TwinKristi 01:14 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by mema:
I would say keep her home. If she needs pedialyte, she's too ill.
I agree!
momofboys 01:49 PM 02-27-2014
I would exclude! those symptoms are eerily familiar to me. when my son had rsv (he was 2 months old at the time) he stopped nursing & had a low body temp & cough. hope the little one is okay!
Tags:sick infants
Reply Up