Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Give Time Outs?
momneedscoffee 08:49 AM 07-08-2015
As a new provider, I am just wondering when you give time outs, and what other types of discipline you use. Right now I just give time outs when the kids get physical with one another or do something I know that they know they are not supposed to be doing. Orbif they are fighting over a certain toy and cant come to a resolution then the toy gets put away for the rest of the day. I have always been pretty easy going with my 3 yo son, but now that other kids are in the picture I don't want it to get out of control. Monkey see monkey do, ya know?
daycare 09:00 AM 07-08-2015
it all depends on the age and crime as well as each individual child

I have some kids that are very sensitive and would cry their eyes out if I said go to time out or used a stern voice.

then I have some that if I didn't talk to them like my dog, using a stern voice they would walk all over me.

I get to know each child and how they respond to authority, rules and what not.

I hardly ever use time out, but we do have a thinking spot that is kind of like time out. If you are not listening or doing something wrong I will go ask you ..
can you sit and think about what you are doing for a few minutes, then I let them sit for a bit and then come talk to them.

With the younger kids I offer a lot of redirection. BUT

no matter your age, if you hit you will sit... I don't allow any kind of physical altercation to go without consequence.
Heidi 11:55 AM 07-08-2015
I do pretty much what Daycare does. In our state, we can't give "time outs" to children under 3, but I guess the definition of time out is open to interpretation. To me, time out means you sit a certain amount of time, usually a minute per year or something like that.

I simply have them go sit (and there are books there to look at if they want), and tell them when they are ready to (comply, be gentle, stop yelling, whatever), then they can come play.

The other thing I occasionally do is when someone is feeling "hitty" on a particular day. I say "be gentle" 3 or 4 times as a reminder, but then I usually just walk over, lead them away from the group, sit them down, and put their hands on their lap. I don't say anything, just walk away. This is for children who KNOW what they're doing (like the 2 1/2 yo), not a young toddler. I don't call that a time out, either, because again, they get up when they're ready.

I think a hand full of times in the last 4 years, I've used the word "time out". Then, I go take one!
Snowmom 01:16 PM 07-08-2015
I use them for children over age 2 (if I think the child comprehends the behavior) for:
1. Hitting or Biting
2. Lying (my biggest pet peeve and the kids know it)
3. A behavior or action that is repeated after 2 warnings (redirections) to stop

Time outs are a big deal here. I have two sets of parents that ask every day if we "had a great day with no timeouts". If the answer is "no", then they have consequences at home as well.

I don't dish out T.O.'s freely and it's a pretty big deal when it happens; by the other kids who watch in horror
Reply Up