Daycare.com Forum DAB Hand Sanitizer HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 AM
Core12's Avatar
Core12 Core12 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 111
Default What Would You Do?

I interviewed a couple in January for an infant opening in July. The couple said they had another interview at another daycare and would get back with us in a couple of weeks. After a couple of weeks I touched base with her and basically just said I looked forward to hearing from her soon and it was nice meeting them.
Today, I texted that I would need an answer so I could advertise if needed. The wife states it between us and another provider and they will make their decision tonight. Iím annoyed that I assumed they were going to pick us and now wish I could say, ďsorry, we are full!Ē
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Rockgirl's Avatar
Rockgirl Rockgirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,872
Default

I continue interviewing until I have paperwork and money in my hand. I also let parents know Iím interviewing others, so they donít assume they can dawdle around (plus, half the decision is mine).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,272
Default

I would not really discuss it further until June at which time I'd choose the family I felt was best for my group and offer them the slot.

A lot can change in 4 months.

I am the one conducting the interview. Not the other way around.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Msdunny's Avatar
Msdunny Msdunny is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I would not really discuss it further until June at which time I'd choose the family I felt was best for my group and offer them the slot.

A lot can change in 4 months.

I am the one conducting the interview. Not the other way around.
This is how I feel. I don't like interviewing for spots that are more than 4 weeks from being filled. And I do not wait on parents to go through a lengthy decision making process. If I haven't gotten a definitive answer in 3-4 days, I move on...even if I don't have anyone to move on to.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Lil_Diddle's Avatar
Lil_Diddle Lil_Diddle is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
I continue interviewing until I have paperwork and money in my hand. I also let parents know Iím interviewing others, so they donít assume they can dawdle around (plus, half the decision is mine).
EXACTLY! I learned the hard way. I donít wait for anyone and I donít hold spots until the full deposit is in hand. I should state that the deposit is only refunded once they start care and it goes towards their final two weeks. Otherwise if they pay me to hold a spot and change their mind. Thatís too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:03 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 9,392
Default

Yes, I never count on anyone's decision until they've given me a nonrefundable holding fee and their paperwork, no matter how well I think the interview went. And I'm sure, since they don't need a spot until summer they're in no rush. JMO but the more contact you offer them, the more desperate it makes you look.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:35 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I would not really discuss it further until June at which time I'd choose the family I felt was best for my group and offer them the slot.

A lot can change in 4 months.

I am the one conducting the interview. Not the other way around.
This. I wouldn't want to be beholden to parental whims 4 months out.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:49 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
This. I wouldn't want to be beholden to parental whims 4 months out.
All of this! Make sure you are interviewing them not them interviewing you. It will make your life easier. Also do not hold spots especially with no money for 4 months.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:38 AM
redmaple's Avatar
redmaple redmaple is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 159
Default

Should they eventually opt to pick your daycare, it does not mean you have to pick their family. You can say you have not made your final decision between a few families, and that you will let them know shortly.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:23 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core12 View Post
Today, I texted that I would need an answer so I could advertise if needed.
I would go ahead and advertise; I wouldn't wait for them to make a decision. If you find someone else to fill the spot and the first family calls back wanting to enroll, you can always explain that since you hadn't heard from them, you assumed they weren't interested. Waiting for them to make a decision before you can advertise the spot to others is allowing them to hold you and your income hostage. While I get that they may want to take the time to make sure they're making the right decision for them, this waiting game isn't fair to you.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:37 PM
knoxmomof2's Avatar
knoxmomof2 knoxmomof2 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: East TN
Posts: 244
Default

Yeah, I've learned not to wait on people - all they are concerned about is their needs - not yours. You need to be concerned about your needs - filling the spot with the best candidate. If they're a good fit, I do a 24 hour email / text, thanking them for their time and letting them know I'm here if they have any questions. I don't pursue after that. It should be an easy process, if it's not, you're pushing something that isn't meant to be. I know you want to fill a spot, but you can fill it with someone who's not sure and bails in 2 months or someone who wants to be there and stays for quite a while. Plus, you have time on your side with this spot. Find a good match for your program.

PS- Until you have some kind of financial commitment (like a nonrefundable deposit), keep advertising especially with a future spot. People will tell you all day they're going to do something, but if they have to put money behind it, you'll get a much more sincere answer 😁 And if they flake, the deposit gives you a financial cushion while you work on filling the spot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
interview - checklist

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming