Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Curriculum and Holiday Crafts
kcnjason 08:12 PM 10-18-2011
I currently have 2 and 3 year olds and I hae found since I have been open that from about October through January I struggle to keep consistant working on preschool with the kids, letters mainly. I get so wrapped up in crafts this time of year that I have a hard time wrapping the crafts into the letters we are learning. I have yet to find a curriculum that works good for us teaching a letter as well as continuing crafts for the current holiday. How do you keep consistent with teaching letters during this fun craft time? Do you have a curriculum that you would suggest that works well to accomodate both letters and crafts for the season? If you make your own would you mind sharing?
mom2many 09:03 PM 10-18-2011
I use several websites and I almost always incorporate a craft with letters ie: The other day we made a pumpkin mask and the older kids practiced writing the letter P. Today we made a jack a lantern craft and the older ones practiced making the letter J. I always try to do a fun craft project along with a learning lesson to teach a color, shape, letter or number. The websites I use always have activities that will elaborate on a simple craft.

I love Kids soup.com, but also use DLTK and Allkidsnetwork.

PM me if you want me to help you out. I fumbled through this for years and have finally found some great things that work well for me...thanks to some awesome DCM's that are teachers!
sharlan 09:05 PM 10-18-2011
I use a lot of DLTK.
kcnjason 04:53 AM 10-19-2011
Do you work on more than one letter per week? I thought I was told to only work on 1 letter per week with the children. Is it better to pick random letters to work on or work A to Z?
Cat Herder 05:31 AM 10-19-2011
Add letter stamps, stencils and stickers to your projects.

Pick letters that are already in the crafts name...

Foam Santa = S

Construction Paper Turkey = T
Tags:crafts, curriculum - holiday, holiday - crafts
Reply Up