Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Give My Address Out During Phone Interview
Nextgen 06:10 PM 02-11-2013
I have clients that call and the first thing they want to know is my address. Should I give that information out over the phone, and what questions should I ask the parent over the phone?
Willow 06:26 PM 02-11-2013
The addresses of licensed providers in my state is publicly listed.

Simply googling your phone number it'll probably come up on it's own and any family even remotely interested in your services is going to need to know where you're at to even make any conversation worth while. Location and cost are two of the most commonly asked questions callers ask me and it makes sense so I wouldn't worry about that.

As far as what you might ask them pretty much the only thing I ask about is ages the child/ren are and what days/times are needed. If I don't have openings for a particular age or they're only looking for part time when I offer exclusively full time then I don't want to waste anyone's time setting up an in person interview. I usually leave the rest for the in person interview.
Meeko 06:30 PM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by Nextgen:
I have clients that call and the first thing they want to know is my address. Should I give that information out over the phone, and what questions should I ask the parent over the phone?
If you are not comfortable giving it out until they commit to an interview, you could say "I am located near Walmart", or "I'm near the off-ramp at exit 62" for example. Something that let's them know your general location.

That's really what most people want to know. No point in scheduling an interview, only to find it's out of their way.

I'm in the phone book, so it doesn't bother me. I DO have a sign up outside that states tours are by appointment only and they need to call me for a phone interview first. I do not talk to people at the door, even it means losing a client.
Patches 07:56 PM 02-11-2013
It doesn't bother me to tell them. I live almost right on the corner of a major intersection so that's what I usually say at first because it's just easier to let them know my general location so they can decide if it's within the area they want and them if they are interested in an interview, I'll give my address and directions.
melilley 05:59 AM 02-12-2013
I give them my address. But I do have to say that I swear I have gotten drive by's to see what ever they want to see. We live in the back of a 4 street neighborhood and it's easy to recognize cars that do not belong to a neighbor. They could be visitors of a neighbor, who knows. Maybe it's just my imagination though...lol
SilverSabre25 06:41 AM 02-12-2013
I mostly get "Where are you located?" so i give my major cross-streets (which are pretty major...and obvious...and I have still had people get confused.) and then I give my exact address once we have a firm day and time agreed on for an interview.
mrsnj 06:41 AM 02-12-2013
I don't unless I know they are committed. And I use my cell phone so they cannot trace. I had someone contacting me and address was her 1st question. I did like Meeko said and said something like "I am near the 55 on ramp". She kept asking and asking and asking. Then started asking for the ages of my DCK. It just felt off. I finally came out and said I was advertising on Craigslist and do not know who she is and I do not give out personal info like my actual address and kids ages without an interview and if she wanted to set one up......my cell number. She totally understood. I think I am paranoid but honestly I don't know who is typing or even talking on the other end. I like to get to know them. I had one dad who got my phone number off a flier and called to say he was on his way to interview....with no kids and no wife. Ummmm no. Called my husband and told him to come home. Not cool. Asking 'normal' questions gets them the info. Asking things like "What are the ages of each kid and when do they come" or "What do you do on your weekends" etc is just red flags to me and I am much more cautious. I also white page them if they email me or contact via Craigslist. If they are not showing local I step back on details. But I agree....they can just as easily white page you and find you.
melilley 07:22 AM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I mostly get "Where are you located?" so i give my major cross-streets (which are pretty major...and obvious...and I have still had people get confused.) and then I give my exact address once we have a firm day and time agreed on for an interview.
I think I will do that from now on!
mom2many 07:49 AM 02-12-2013
Yep, same here. I live in a large metropolitan city, so things are spread out and often people just need to find out if I am either near where they live or if can easily drop off on their way to work.

Once we set up an appointment then I give them my street address.
wdmmom 07:54 AM 02-12-2013
I don't provide my address until an interview is scheduled.

I provide them with a general vicinity of my location. (Between Smith Park and the Water Company or off the intersection of 1st Avenue and Broadway.)

Once an interview is scheduled, it is the responsibility of the new prospective client to contact me via phone to confirm the appointment 1 hour before it's scheduled time. Only then do I give my physical address.

By doing this, it has eliminated no call/no shows all together.
Nextgen 02:02 PM 02-12-2013
Thanks everyone. This really helps I feel better just giving my address when I know that we have a definite date set for an interview. I don't want people just passing by my house to see what ever it is they are looking for. There are a lot of crazy people out there you just never know.
MarinaVanessa 02:11 PM 02-12-2013
This is what I do too even though my address is printed on my business cards and is on my website.

The day before or morning before my scheduled interview I call to confirm the interview and that's when I give them my address, driving directions and instructions on where to park.
Tags:interview - privacy, privacy, privacy - interview
Reply Up