Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents These Days, I Don't Understand Their Thinking!
caregiver 07:39 AM 07-23-2013
Hi, I have been on here before and posted about one of my DCG's having a fever in the am when she woke up,Mom said she thought it was from DCG covering herself up with her blanket in her crib.That is a bunch of you know what anyway, no one gets a temp of 102.5 from covering up with a blanket. Mom kept her home, but fever broke later that morning & Mom called and wanted to bring her over & I said no.
Anyway over the weekend DCG had a temp of 104.5, so they decided to take her into the DR.....finally. Dr said that there is a bug going around here that is a high fever bug and lasts for 5-6 days. Anyway Dr told these parents that he doesn't get to concerned about a child getting a high fever until it reaches 106 and that's when the brain starts shutting down functions. Now has anyone else heard that??? That to me is ridiculous, that is a temp that is way,way to high and for a Dr to say he is not to concerned about even a temp of 104,5 is unbelievable to me. These parents also didn't seem to concerned about the temp of 104.5 as they waited that long to take her in. Is it just me that thinks that a temp like that is too high or are parents not taking these things seriously.
Also same parents bring DCG here today with flip flops on, that are way too big and fall of her feet and Grandma is picking her up this am to take her to her gym class,....wrong shoes for a gym class!
Don't parents think before they dress and what kind of day they are going to have?
I just don't understand parents of today! Sorry to complain, but no one seems to use common sense anymore!
Willow 07:54 AM 07-23-2013
How much you want to bet that child never saw a doctor at all.....
MotherNature 08:19 AM 07-23-2013
That "doctor" is completely full of crap. Most docs will tell you to contact them at 103 if they're over 6 mos & 101 if 3 mos or younger. 106 is a high fever, and while kids can occasionally run 105-107, it's still a high fever. It' rare for a kid to get brain damage from a fever though, but they should have called their doctor before it got to 104.
Play Care 09:26 AM 07-23-2013
Eh, a few years ago my dd caught a virus and had a high fever. I kept calling the doctors office and they didn't want to see her. I think it got to 105 a couple of times
mamac 09:39 AM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by care giver:
Hi, I have been on here before and posted about one of my DCG's having a fever in the am when she woke up,Mom said she thought it was from DCG covering herself up with her blanket in her crib.That is a bunch of you know what anyway, no one gets a temp of 102.5 from covering up with a blanket. Mom kept her home, but fever broke later that morning & Mom called and wanted to bring her over & I said no.
Anyway over the weekend DCG had a temp of 104.5, so they decided to take her into the DR.....finally. Dr said that there is a bug going around here that is a high fever bug and lasts for 5-6 days. Anyway Dr told these parents that he doesn't get to concerned about a child getting a high fever until it reaches 106 and that's when the brain starts shutting down functions. Now has anyone else heard that??? That to me is ridiculous, that is a temp that is way,way to high and for a Dr to say he is not to concerned about even a temp of 104,5 is unbelievable to me. These parents also didn't seem to concerned about the temp of 104.5 as they waited that long to take her in. Is it just me that thinks that a temp like that is too high or are parents not taking these things seriously.
Also same parents bring DCG here today with flip flops on, that are way too big and fall of her feet and Grandma is picking her up this am to take her to her gym class,....wrong shoes for a gym class!
Don't parents think before they dress and what kind of day they are going to have?
I just don't understand parents of today! Sorry to complain, but no one seems to use common sense anymore!
My ds's pedi told me the same thing. As long as the child is not lethargic and is able to take in fluids then there is no real concern. Children's fevers tend to run higher than adult's and if they are manageable with OTC meds there isn't much a dr will do. When the high fever persists, and the child is unable to drink and becomes very sluggish then it's time to see the doc.
Cradle2crayons 10:09 AM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
My ds's pedi told me the same thing. As long as the child is not lethargic and is able to take in fluids then there is no real concern. Children's fevers tend to run higher than adult's and if they are manageable with OTC meds there isn't much a dr will do. When the high fever persists, and the child is unable to drink and becomes very sluggish then it's time to see the doc.
Yep, my doc won't treat a fever either. He says only give OTC meds if its affecting the child's ability to feel somewhat okay. Such as risk of dehydration, lethargy, etc.

Fever is the body's way to fight off whatever it's up against.
Meyou 10:23 AM 07-23-2013
One of my dd's gets high fevers even as a teen. 105 was regular when she was little for ear infections or a bad cold. She was never overly lethargic and the doctor said to go by her behavior to indicate when she needed to come in. She hit 106 several times before we put tubes in her ears to stop the infections.
Cat Herder 10:56 AM 07-23-2013
It is also possible the "Dr" was an ER Physician making the point that this did not warrant an Emergency Room visit.

Sadly, many people use the ER as their Primary Care Physician these days. The seams are bursting and the funding is being depleted...
Scout 11:27 AM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by care giver:
Yes, I have heard this twice in the past year. First time from the after hours nurse at my kids ped's office. She said that they do not do damage really until fever reaches 107! On July 4 I took my ds, just turned 2, to the ER with a fever of 105.5 and after his strep came back negative and they found nothing wrong with his lungs by listening, or with his ears we were sent on our way. The ER dr. told me to not worry about the fever until it reaches higher then as well. My kids always get high fevers around 104 with most viruses they catch. I panic! I agree with you that anything over 104 is super high and I need to see it go down immediately! At that point my thinking is only "what if it goes up". I have found that the supposotories work really quickly to bring these down. Only problem with them is that they are acetemetiphine(tylenol) and I prefer ibuprofin(advil) since it lasts longer and once I give the suppository I can not give anything else for another 4 hours! I almost always have to rotate both types of these meds every 4 hours until the viruses pass. I try to save the ibuprofen for the dose right before bed. I will continue to take them to the ER when they are higher than 104 though as it makes me feel better.
craftymissbeth 12:04 PM 07-23-2013
Maybe I'm misreading what everyone has said, but why would you wait until a fever is already at a dangerous level? 104.5 is only 1.5 degrees away from the 106! I would think if 106 is the point where the brain begins to shut down you would want to take action before it got to that point.
Crazy8 12:23 PM 07-23-2013
There are plenty of natural ways to bring a fever down and I do believe in the whole "a fever is the body's way to fight infection" thing so while I wouldn't take what the parent said as gospel I can see situations where the dr. is not too concerned with a fever, especially if the child was there in front of him and he can see they are not lethargic, dehydrated, etc. I believe the "normal" consideration for a high fever is 103 - but that to me means take action to bring it down, not necessarily a visit to a dr. or ER unless there are other symptoms or if it won't come down using medication/natural remedies.
Scout 12:24 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Maybe I'm misreading what everyone has said, but why would you wait until a fever is already at a dangerous level? 104.5 is only 1.5 degrees away from the 106! I would think if 106 is the point where the brain begins to shut down you would want to take action before it got to that point.
I'm guessing if it happens in the middle of the night and you don't know you have a child with one. When ds's was 105.5 it was mid day and he was on tylenol. I also agree that how they are acting is telling of how sick they are. He was acting fine the day before with the fever of 104.6 and that responded quickly to meds. He didn't act crabby until right before it peaked at 105.5. I thought he had strep as he was saying "mouf hurt". None of us are saying we wait until 104.5, the drs. are saying not to worry if it's under 106. Crazy! I end up taking my kids a few times a year for fevers over 104 to ER because you know it always happens in the middle of the darn night!! and I always think it's too close to the bad levels!
caregiver 12:34 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I totally agree! I guess when my kids were little, I never played around when they had a fever, if it got to that 102, I took them to the Dr. I just had never heard of anyone saying that 104.5 is not really anything to be concerned about and that not to be concerned until it reached 106. So many things can happen with a high fever,convulsions could be one of them. A temp of 106 is where the brain starts shutting down,so why would any parent wait until it got that high to seek medical attention. Why would you take that chance! I guess I just take any high temp seriously and don't take chances with that kind of stuff.
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 07-23-2013
The handout I have from the Mayo Clinic says

"Usually, fever associated with common infections, is not a cause for concern. Although the fever may be fluctuating between 102 F and 104 F, taking prescription medicines is not mandatory.

The increase in body temperature during an infection is considered to be a protective mechanism of the human body. It is observed that the infectious agents are unable to proliferate when the body temperature is above normal. The excess heat generated helps to destroy the pathogen. In such a scenario, one should allow the fever to pass naturally.

However, this is true only when the normal body temperature hasn't shot up beyond 104 F. Also, if you are unable to tolerate symptoms that accompany fever, do not hesitate to consult a doctor."

I think it is important to consider behavior as well. My DD would get a fever of 99.9F and be lethargic and look very obviously ill. My DS got fevers of 105F anytime he was ill but continued to run around and eat, play and sleep as normal.

Every kid is different and it's important a parent know their child so they can make an educated decision on whether or not an ER visit is warranted.

Way too many parents medicate a fever immediately when in most cases, a fever is actually helpful to rid the body of whatever is ailing it.
Cradle2crayons 01:08 PM 07-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The handout I have from the Mayo Clinic says

"Usually, fever associated with common infections, is not a cause for concern. Although the fever may be fluctuating between 102 F and 104 F, taking prescription medicines is not mandatory.

The increase in body temperature during an infection is considered to be a protective mechanism of the human body. It is observed that the infectious agents are unable to proliferate when the body temperature is above normal. The excess heat generated helps to destroy the pathogen. In such a scenario, one should allow the fever to pass naturally.

However, this is true only when the normal body temperature hasn't shot up beyond 104 F. Also, if you are unable to tolerate symptoms that accompany fever, do not hesitate to consult a doctor."

I think it is important to consider behavior as well. My DD would get a fever of 99.9F and be lethargic and look very obviously ill. My DS got fevers of 105F anytime he was ill but continued to run around and eat, play and sleep as normal.

Every kid is different and it's important a parent know their child so they can make an educated decision on whether or not an ER visit is warranted.

Way too many parents medicate a fever immediately when in most cases, a fever is actually helpful to rid the body of whatever is ailing it.

there, I'm following yu around again today lol
Tags:fever - policy
Reply Up