Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>'Get Off Your Phone!! 'Day Care's Message To Parents Goes Viral"
sleepinghart 05:32 AM 02-02-2017
~I'm assuming this has most likely already been posted somewhere that I missed, but just in case, here it is: 'Get off your phone!! 'Day care's message to parents goes viral"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/01...medium=twitter
DaveA 05:44 AM 02-02-2017

Play Care 06:32 AM 02-02-2017
It was.

While I agree, I'm sure most will say the day care is being "nosy" and they should just stick to "babysitting"
LysesKids 07:00 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
It was.

While I agree, I'm sure most will say the day care is being "nosy" and they should just stick to "babysitting"
I actually have it listed in my policies to get off your phone when entering my home lol... if it's not a medical emergency put down the phone so I can discuss your child's day even if it's only for 2 minutes. I'm sure I have pissed a few people off, but all my families abide by the rule
Snowmom 07:10 AM 02-02-2017
This note was on our local news yesterday!

I totally get the message and agree. But I think it could be delivered a bit more tactfully/professionally.
Josiegirl 09:22 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
This note was on our local news yesterday!

I totally get the message and agree. But I think it could be delivered a bit more tactfully/professionally.
Maybe. But then all the dcps would be thinking 'surely, they don't mean ME?'
This note leaves no room for confusion.
I have added a no cellphone rule to my dc too, only exception is to share pictures with me.

I was a little bit appalled at a dcm and her 9 yo ds who I invited to our Christmas party. They were both on their iphones as much as off.
daycarediva 09:26 AM 02-02-2017
I agree with the message, but think it could have been phrased better.
Ariana 09:34 AM 02-02-2017
So happy to not ever have had this issue with parents!

Agreed it could be worded a little less "in your face".

I remember leaving the centre where I used to work and driving home behind a dad that had just picked up his child. Child had been there roughly 9 hours. The DVD player was playing in the van. He couldn't even chat with his kid from the centre to his house!! I thought it was a bit much.
rosieteddy 03:11 PM 02-02-2017
The day a parent held their hand up to me motioning for me to put child in seat,got in their car and drove off was a real eye opener.That was a Friday and Monday there was a notice of no cell phone use on property. Parents were told that no phones allowed and if they were late the late fee applied.It worked.
Melissa67 04:32 PM 02-02-2017
some parents need that kind of tact, they just don't get it,it's a shame we have to even say it. I'm adding it to my contract asap
cassiesue 04:46 PM 02-02-2017
Personally I like it, especially the "in your face" wording. Leaves zero room for confusion! Although not sure I could do that myself; so I'll be passive-aggressive and share this link on my Center's FB page!
daycare 05:53 PM 02-02-2017
WOW! wish I had that kind of nerve...lol maybe.
I did once ask a parent to please limit their cell phone usage because they would be on a call when they came in and then let their child still play, while they say on their phone talking.

It drove me crazy.

their response was that maybe if I didn't close so early and charge such high late fees, that they wouldn't be so rushed to pick up their kid and have to be on business calls at the same time. I told them, I can help you with that so you won't have that stress any more. the parent looked so happy and relieved that I was giving in to them.

I said yeah, you can always find another childcare...
cassiesue 06:06 PM 02-02-2017
lol @ finding other care response!!! And at the nerve of that parent!

Yes I wish I had the nerve. My motto is:

I wanna be BlackCat31 when I grow up, lol!!!
serendipity 09:56 AM 02-05-2017
I saw that notice. Although true, it comes across rude and will set parents off. I made this and I'm considering making it into a canvas print

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwM...ew?usp=sharing

thoughts?
midaycare 06:26 PM 02-05-2017
Originally Posted by serendipity:
I saw that notice. Although true, it comes across rude and will set parents off. I made this and I'm considering making it into a canvas print

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwM...ew?usp=sharing

thoughts?
I like it!!!
mommyneedsadayoff 07:30 AM 02-06-2017
I bet they asked over and over and put up nicer notes that no one paid attention to, so they got to this point! Like with kids...

me 1st time: ok put your shoes on so we can go!
2nd time: get your shoes on please!
3rd time: Put your d@mn shoes on for eff sake!!!

The letter got their attention that is for sure!
Blackcat31 09:50 AM 02-06-2017
Originally Posted by cassiesue:
lol @ finding other care response!!! And at the nerve of that parent!

Yes I wish I had the nerve. My motto is:

I wanna be BlackCat31 when I grow up, lol!!!

I thought the note/sign was passive-aggressive!

I am way too blunt for that type of thing but like Ariana, I haven't really had this issue at all. The closest I've got is parents that will sit in their car and finish their call before coming in (kids can see them from the house) but I figure sitting in their car means they aren't coming in while on the phone so...win-win and it doesn't happen that often so
"bigger win!"
renodeb 01:20 PM 02-08-2017
I have seen it posted all over fb. Its very blatantly written.To much so i think. I have had a few parents come in on there cells and be on them the whole time. But that was years ago. My parents have been really good about it since then. I think posting a sign is fine but worded a bit different.
Deb
Tags:daycare experiences, parents - don't appreciate, parents - don't want kids, pick up issues
Reply Up