Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Changing A Rate
DaisyMamma 02:18 PM 04-16-2012
My first family was a friend of a friend. I wasn't licensed and offered a low rate. Even last summer, after getting my license I gave her *** amount for 2 kids, one baby, one SA, but I was not filled to capacity.
My state allows 6 fulltime, 3 SA, but in the summer only 6 total. Sooo. I have a full house now and most parents paying what they should be. I'm trying to get all parents to pay what they should be, since I'm getting calls from people willing to pay full rate! Right?
So now I tell DCF mentioned before who had the low rate last summer that I have a waiting list and if they want the ONE space available then they have to pay for it. They should pay 75 more/week but I said 45 and explained that it should be 75. I think that's fair. I got the from DCM, like how dare I raise my rates! But I didn't "raise" my rates, I just gave them a discount that I shouldn't have.
So i guess I just needed to vent. it is what it is. they won't find a lower rate still, and if they do i guess that's fine w me. Im still stressed.
MNMum 02:47 PM 04-16-2012
I did the same thing in the beginning. Either they will learn to appreciate they were lucky enough to have had a summer at a low rate, or they'll figure something else out. Don't feel like you've done anything wrong, business should be business.
DaisyMamma 02:51 PM 04-16-2012
Thanks for the support. It's very awkward for me to discuss any money matters with parents. I'm the first to say Make them Pay and the last to do it. Yep, that same family is constantly late for pickup and I don't charge.
daycare 02:54 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
My first family was a friend of a friend. I wasn't licensed and offered a low rate. Even last summer, after getting my license I gave her *** amount for 2 kids, one baby, one SA, but I was not filled to capacity.
My state allows 6 fulltime, 3 SA, but in the summer only 6 total. Sooo. I have a full house now and most parents paying what they should be. I'm trying to get all parents to pay what they should be, since I'm getting calls from people willing to pay full rate! Right?
So now I tell DCF mentioned before who had the low rate last summer that I have a waiting list and if they want the ONE space available then they have to pay for it. They should pay 75 more/week but I said 45 and explained that it should be 75. I think that's fair. I got the from DCM, like how dare I raise my rates! But I didn't "raise" my rates, I just gave them a discount that I shouldn't have.
So i guess I just needed to vent. it is what it is. they won't find a lower rate still, and if they do i guess that's fine w me. Im still stressed.
I would not change that families rate. I made the same mistake taht you did almost 5 years ago...The family still has the same rate as they did when they stared, plus about $.50 cents. Everyone else that was new after this family pays a higher rate.

I did not feel that it was right of me to take it away for no reason other than wanting more money, which I didn't feel the family should have to pay for my mistake....
Blackcat31 02:58 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
I would change the rate and use the excuse of licensing and other additional costs to you now that you are licensed. More paperwork required, more trainings required, more rules to follow....all of which means more time you have to give so why shouldn't you be compensated for that time?

Simply say that the rate you offered before was for babysitting services but now that you are a professional child care provicder, you must offer rates that equal compensation for the additional benefits of being licensed.

If they don't like it, then fill their space with kids form your wait list that are willing to pay your regular rate. Business is business and you should NEVER feel bad!
Tags:rate change, rate change notification
Reply Up