Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer Rates for Teachers
HappyPennie 03:21 PM 04-25-2012
I have a DC mom who is off during the summer because she works at the school and I'm trying to figure out how to handle the situation. Do I charge her to hold her spot? I was just wondering what any of you do for your teacher families during the summer?
littlemissmuffet 03:55 PM 04-25-2012
I know many providers will do free or discounted rates to hold the space... but not me. They still need to pay the full rate here and can come as many or few days a month as they like. I don't do free/discounted for anyone.
daycare 05:04 PM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by JenJen:
I have a DC mom who is off during the summer because she works at the school and I'm trying to figure out how to handle the situation. Do I charge her to hold her spot? I was just wondering what any of you do for your teacher families during the summer?
I do have one and here is what I offer:

FT can take a leave for 6 weeks only. their child can come 2 of those days a week that are agreed to in advance. Their rate is 1/2 monthly rate, plus one week.

PT- No offer is made, no discount
HappyPennie 05:06 AM 04-26-2012
Another question I have, is if you charge them to reserve their spot do you still fill the spot with drop ins while they're gone for the summer?
wahmof3 06:11 AM 04-26-2012
I am CRAZY because I do not charge a fee for the summer. I really think in my area my teachers would laugh and enroll their child elsewhere. I believe the only place around me that does charge are the centers and I am not totally sure on that.

I do give them the option of bringing their kids at a daily rate for 1-2 days during the summer. These days are based on my availability and if they need 3 days its a full time rate.

I have always felt that I can "temporarily replace" their kids with school age during the summer, if needed. I don't particularly like accepting school age & won't unless I absolutely need too.

My current enrollment consists of 4/6 teachers kids, so yes when June comes around my bank account hurts.

IF your demographics do charge a holding fee then GO FOR IT!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 04-26-2012
I charge my teachers during the school year only BUT I "sort of" charge them a higher rate than other families because they are off all summer.

What I do is take what would be the yearly rate for one full time child and divide it up into 9 months (school year) and that is their rate.

That way I am being paid the same as any other family except that it is condensed into their 9 months of attendance.
wahmof3 08:04 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I charge my teachers during the school year only BUT I "sort of" charge them a higher rate than other families because they are off all summer.

What I do is take what would be the yearly rate for one full time child and divide it up into 9 months (school year) and that is their rate.

That way I am being paid the same as any other family except that it is condensed into their 9 months of attendance.
I personally really like this idea and have really thought about doing something like this. But once again I think it would make my teachers run the other way. I might sit down and do the math during nap and see what I come up with.

Along the same lines I have thought about raising rates to include some personal days so that I can afford to take some personal days. I think if I told them I was charging them for days I take off they wouldn't be happy, so if I increase the weekly rate a little it doesn't look so bad

Remember up until this January my teachers were on a daily rate- I've come a long way!!

(Didn't mean to hijack this thread)
Tags:holding spot, holding spot - fee
Reply Up