Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Raising Rates
Sunchimes 06:07 PM 08-15-2014
I thought I recently read on here somewhere that you had to charge everyone the same rate unless they had longer hours or something. I can't remember where I read it or if I might have imagined it.

I have long planned to raise my rates for the new family I hope to get when a spot opens up when school starts. I was going to raise the rates on the other 2 families when their contract renews in Sept and January. By the end of January, all 3 families would be paying the new rate.

Now, the January family will be leaving a couple of weeks after their contract date when the child turns 3 and leaves ECI for the special school program. Because of some extenuating circumstances, I have decided not to raise the rates of the September renewal family. This leaves the new family. Can I still charge them the new rate and leave everyone else grandfathered in at the old rate, assuming that the hours are basically the same? I'm particularly concerned because this would be a special needs child, and I don't want them to think it is because of their child's needs but instead is something I plan to do for anyone who takes that spot.
Luvnmykidz 06:58 PM 08-15-2014
I don't know much about this, but I would assume you are within your rights to charge as you wish, especially since you plan on charging future families the same. You could also say the other families came in at a discounted rate.
itlw8 08:34 PM 08-15-2014
you can charge people anything you want BUT you can not charge more for a child on subsidy than you do other clients. The state considers that fraud and you may not charge extra for a child with special needs
Sunchimes 09:01 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
... and you may not charge extra for a child with special needs
That's the part that worries me. I've long planned for this new family to start at a higher rate. I just hadn't factored in the possibility of a special needs child. They may have longer hours, so I could justify it that way.

Or, I may never hear from them again and all this worry is wasted. :-)
daycare 09:22 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
you can charge people anything you want BUT you can not charge more for a child on subsidy than you do other clients. The state considers that fraud and you may not charge extra for a child with special needs
That's not necessarily true. If the needs out weight your ability to meet their needs you may hire additional staff to assist that child and pass on the pay Increase to the parents.

If they need special equipment like a wheel ramp or such. You can also charge for this.
Tags:rate increase
Reply Up