Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trading for Daycare...
caitlin 07:16 PM 11-12-2010
Today when one of my kids got picked up his mom asked me if I would be interested in his old baby things for the daycare. I asked her if she was selling them, and she asked if we could instead trade for 3 weeks of free daycare (about $450).

I could honestly use some new things, most of my stuff is from when my daughter was an infant (she's now 8) and then I replaced a few things about 4 years ago, plus it would be nice to have doubles on some things. She has a swing, exersaucer, a bouncy seat, an infant seat, boppy, bumbo, highchair, stroller (which I really wouldn't have a use for right now) and some toys. I know the things will be in great condition, and it is worth more than what she pays for daycare in three weeks.

I was thinking maybe charging her 1/2 price over the course of 6 weeks instead of taking such a drastic cut to my income, if she would be okay with that and if I decide to do this.

Have you ever done this or had a parent ask you to do it?
kendallina 07:24 PM 11-12-2010
I've never had a parent ask this. If it were me, I would look carefully through each item, decide what you would want to 'buy' and then make an offer. I would not accept everything if you don't think you're going to use it. $450 is a LOT of money and if you wouldn't be buying some of the items anyways, then it's like you're throwing money away.
QualiTcare 07:43 PM 11-12-2010
$450 is a lot of money for used baby items. i personally gave away all of my items (at a time i reeeally could've used money) and exactly the same type of items - that were in great shape to people who could use them....bassinet that was never used, exercauser, boppy, stroller, carseat, swing, crib, etc. i had baby things given to me and i always just passed my things along as well as most people i know.

of course if someone had approached and offered me money i would've sold the items, but there are SO many used baby items for sale for next to nothing that they really don't have much value. for me, it wasn't worth the effort of taking the stuff to a consignment store or putting it on craigslist bc as i said - there is just so much of it out there. it does hurt to part with things that you remember paying good money for brand new, but i think expecting 450 is a bit much. maybe you could look at the items to be sure what you want, and even then, i'd think maybe ONE week of free daycare would be more accurate. you could also look around on craigslist and see what people are selling their used items for to get an idea of the value.
Live and Learn 07:56 PM 11-12-2010
that sounds like too much money for the items you mention. I like to shop a resale and thrift shops to buy items like this....there is no way the used items you mentioned would cost this much.....
Basically I agree with qualiTcare on this.
Abigail 10:36 PM 11-12-2010
You said you don't need the stroller....why store it? Don't buy that. ONLY buy what you actually need. Ask her how much she wants for the items, give you a dollar amount for each item on a list. You should write her a check and count it under "expenses" for your taxes. Don't mix it will discounted daycare or free daycare. I know writing her a check just for her to turn around a pay you sounds dumb, but at least you are not "bartering". The reason she needs to write the items and cost-per-item down is so you can have this as a receipt for tax time for expenses. I hope if she wants top of the line prices that they are about a year old or so or you will get better deals elsewhere. Don't let her make you feel obligated to buy things from her either. Purchase what you want, get an itemized receipt, and still have her pay her regular daycare rates. It's a business, run it like one.
kidkair 04:11 AM 11-13-2010
I agree with Abigail. That much money for stuff should be well documented for taxes. And like another PP said buy only what you actually will use. I know I wouldn't need all that stuff for a baby here.
melskids 04:22 AM 11-13-2010
i found all the same stuff on craigslist / yard sales, and didnt spend HALF of what she is asking.
momofboys 09:14 AM 11-13-2010
Originally Posted by caitlin:
Today when one of my kids got picked up his mom asked me if I would be interested in his old baby things for the daycare. I asked her if she was selling them, and she asked if we could instead trade for 3 weeks of free daycare (about $450).

I could honestly use some new things, most of my stuff is from when my daughter was an infant (she's now 8) and then I replaced a few things about 4 years ago, plus it would be nice to have doubles on some things. She has a swing, exersaucer, a bouncy seat, an infant seat, boppy, bumbo, highchair, stroller (which I really wouldn't have a use for right now) and some toys. I know the things will be in great condition, and it is worth more than what she pays for daycare in three weeks.

I was thinking maybe charging her 1/2 price over the course of 6 weeks instead of taking such a drastic cut to my income, if she would be okay with that and if I decide to do this.

Have you ever done this or had a parent ask you to do it?
I'd recommend going to a Once Upon a Child or other similar used store prior to buying from a parent. I have found many like-new items at sometimes 1/2 the normal price. Plus if you don't really need these items (even though they may be helpful) I would really think twice about it.
SunflowerMama 11:11 AM 11-13-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
i found all the same stuff on craigslist / yard sales, and didnt spend HALF of what she is asking.

I was going to say the same thing!! I wouldn't trade $450 worth of care for those items. You could all those things on Craigslist for definitely less than half of that.
AmandasFCC 11:43 AM 11-13-2010
I've never had that offered to me and I dont' think I would accept it either. That's a lot of money to pay for used stuff that you can get pretty cheap anyway.
Crystal 03:53 PM 11-13-2010
Most of the items you mentioned can be found for $25 or less.....so that's less than $200 worth of stuff she is selling....and if you were to take all of it, then there should be a discount.
DanceMom 03:55 PM 11-13-2010
In THIS case..I wouldnt do it. I do have a dad that is a SUPER handyman ( and my husband is not ) so I may have him do some work around the house and if he does - "I" - "ME" will name the price...not them.
safechner 09:40 PM 11-13-2010
If it were me, I will not accept at all. It doesn't matter if I need it or not but I can find different place to find a good used items with good price. It is a lot of money so I am pretty sure you would need money instead taking babies used items that you don't need.
DCMomOf3 09:31 AM 11-14-2010
i've done it with an SA Mom. I only took what i wanted, and we agreed on ebay pricing for the things I said I'd take.
SandeeAR 05:26 PM 11-14-2010
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I was going to say the same thing!! I wouldn't trade $450 worth of care for those items. You could all those things on Craigslist for definitely less than half of that.
Same here. I furnished my entire set up, with 2 toddler beds, baby bed, (with mattress and sheets) changing table, 2 saucers, 2 infant seats, 2 swings, 2 booster high chairs, 2 swings and LOTS of toys for around $600 off craigslist.
ninosqueridos 06:15 PM 11-14-2010
I wouldn't do it even for ONE week of care. However, I would accept the items as DONATIONS if she doesn't find a buyer on cl.
caitlin 01:25 PM 11-20-2010
I kept meaning to get back on here and update this, but things have been crazy!
I ended up trading with her for a week of daycare and I'm going to keep dcb and his older sister one Saturday so Mom and Dad can get some shopping done. I don't usally do things like that, but I made clear this was a ONE time thing. I really like this family, and I probably wouldn't have done it for any other in my care.

The stroller was a sit-and-stand stroller which I couldn't use for the daycare or personally. So, I sold to my brother and soon-to-be-SIL, who have a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old. I paid $150 for everything, and sold the stroller to them for $60.

I am in love with the swing, it is from the Fisher Price Brentwood collection so it isn't all plasticy looking. The old swing is GONE from the living room, this one actually looks NICE.

And the toys? I was expecting just a bag of infant type toys. Nope! There is a ride on bike, and a couple of bigger infant/toddler toys and a set of PLAN wooden blocks. These were all from her mom's house who is moving into a condo and needed the stuff gone.

I was kind of shocked when I saw all of the stuff, but I shouldn't need to buy anything new for the daycare for a while!
Tags:bartering, discount
Reply Up