Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Never.Stops.Talking.
Christina72684 06:23 AM 05-23-2014
I was gonna call this "Never shuts up" but I thought that sounded a little mean, even though it's what I meant lol

I have a 4.5yr old DCB who talks ALL THE TIME!!! During meal times, in the bathroom, and ever minute he's awake! If I'm talking to an adult, he interrupts us. If I say, "Billy, don't hit" he will say "I didn't hit, Miss Tina." Most of the time what he says is just random ramblings and by the end of the day I'm so tired of hearing him talk.

Anyone else have kids that talk a lot? I assume this is normal behavior but he has other tendencies that seem a little off. I guess it could be worse....he could be a hitter or a bitter or say bad words or whatever. It just wears me out lol
coolconfidentme 06:42 AM 05-23-2014
I usually say, "You learn more with your ears, not your mouth. Let's try to listen for awhile."
Second Home 07:08 AM 05-23-2014
I have 2 that need to tell you everything they do all day long . I want to play blocks , I am done playing blocks , I am going to clean up the blocks . I am going to read books , ect....

It can make for some very long days .
Shell 07:15 AM 05-23-2014
Yes! And for me, it's always the ones that are here from open to close. I even had one that was like a sportscaster and would announce what each child was doing, play by play.
jenboo 07:18 AM 05-23-2014
I have an 18 month old that will repeat the same word over and over again for like an hour at a time! It drives me INSANE!! even the older kids will start complaining about it.
The worst part is that he only switches between two words....

I cannot wait for this phase to be over
drseuss 07:21 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Yes! And for me, it's always the ones that are here from open to close. I even had one that was like a sportscaster and would announce what each child was doing, play by play.
Bwahahaha!! Love the sportscaster analogy.

My just 5 is a talker, too. I just chock it up to a learning and language explosion and grin and bear it. When it's a child who just likes to make noise for the sake of making noise and hearing themselves talk, they get the One Eyebrow Raise when it gets to the point of them being rude. When nobody else can get a word in edgewise because the airwaves are full up.
debbiedoeszip 07:23 AM 05-23-2014
My own DS (who is now 17yo) is like that and has been like that since he began talking. I love him to death but OMG it absolutely drives me batty. I'm an introvert who needs some quiet time but he just has no filter. Every thought that pops into his head comes out of his mouth. And he thinks A LOT. LOL.

No idea what the solution might be. I just thought that I'd share.

Edit: My DS also has severe ADHD and this is part of it. He's better when medicated.
NightOwl 07:25 AM 05-23-2014
See my post called "Oh, this child". I think they're twins.
spinnymarie 07:32 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I usually say, "You learn more with your ears, not your mouth. Let's try to listen for awhile."
This is excellent.
racemom 09:44 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
We had a girl like that once, I always said she was a news caster or reporter, because if she didn't know what they were doing she would interview them to find out!
e.j. 02:51 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I assume this is normal behavior but he has other tendencies that seem a little off.
Just wondering what the other tendencies are. My ds has a diagnosis of Aspergers/NLD. Incessant talking can be characteristic of both. When he was younger, there were days I thought my brain would explode from all the talking he did!
Sunchimes 06:51 PM 05-23-2014
I have this child but mine is 3 1/2. She has talked constantly since she was 1. She is the only kid old enough to talk, and she doesn't really have any playmates. Most of her years here, she was the only kid (because of everyone being part time in those days), and I was her main playmate. She even talks the entire time she is on her mat at nap time. She talks until she falls asleep-sometimes in the middle of a word. "When I wake up can we have a tea par....." Seriously. I adore her, but sometimes my ears are bleeding by the end of the day.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:03 AM 05-24-2014
My solution to this was I had a stage built for her Seriously, I had a dad build me a platform. We get it out regularly, while on the platform you get to sing a song or say a little story.. then your friend gets a turn.
It really helped this one learn to take turns talking and since we all listen to her regularly she is better about being quiet at other times.
Other thing I have her do is go tell the baby a story. She gets to talk. Baby loves to listen.
Cradle2crayons 05:04 AM 05-24-2014
My daughter is like this. She also repeats the same questions. Most of the time she doesn't even realize what she says. Her doc says it's part of her ADHD, spd, etc etc diagnoses. He says she has no impulse control to stop.

Yes it drives me nuts sometimes though. Especially because she sometimes rattles off things and so much doesn't realize it that if I ask her what she just said she can't even tell me.
rosieteddy 07:55 AM 05-24-2014
I have a DCG WHO JUST TURNED 3 FOR THE PAST YEAR ALL SHE DOES IS TALK.tHE OLDEST HERE A dcb 5 YRS SOMETIMES JUST PUTS HIS HANDS OVER HIS EARS AND SAYS WILL YOU JUST STOP TALKING WE HEARD THAT A MILLION TIMES.i SMILE TO MYSELF AND AGREE .Sorry for the capitals didn't look up -not yelling.
LeslieG 08:19 AM 05-25-2014
I have a 4.5 year old DCG that talks all the time too!! When she first started it was a bit of a shock to me, as I was not used to having a child talk to me so much. She also interrupts when I am talking with a parent and asks a million questions!!

It has gotten so bad that she even talks to parents that we don't know when we go to the park! She'll talk their ear off and ask A LOT of questions (and sometimes things that just aren't her business), instead of actually playing. So I now tell her that she may not talk to adults at the park… I always remind her of this on our way to the park.

Actually, the first time I told her not to talk to adults at the park, she totally embarrassed me… We had been at the park for about 15 minutes and then what does she do?!?.. she yells from across the playground "Leslie, I am doing a good job not talking to any adults!" Meanwhile, all the adults at the park turn and look at me.
Reply Up