Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Uncovered sand boxes?
flying_babyb 10:33 PM 05-03-2017
Just currious, How many of you have uncovered sandboxes? I work at a daycare with a large sand pit, around 5 foot by 5 foot on the big kids side, 4 ft by 4ft on the toddler side. Apparently our state lady dont care cause its still uncovered but eww. I work at a larger center (80 kids)
Josiegirl 01:54 AM 05-04-2017
I just over mine with a tarp. Not sure if it's mandated now but my licensor has mentioned in the past that it's a good idea.
Pepperth 03:19 AM 05-04-2017
It's mandated in my state to cover sandboxes.
Blackcat31 05:34 AM 05-04-2017
I never covered mine. Never had any issues.

But when we built a new one my husband made a roll out tarp that covers it nicely. It's not required but it does keep the sand clean and free from debris.

It's just a regular canvas tarp attached to a long piece of PVC pipe and it just rolls out and over the sand box like a window shade and then rolls up when the sandbox is in use.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:11 AM 05-04-2017
In Ohio it is mandated that sand be covered.
CityGarden 09:19 AM 05-04-2017
We go to a park with sand each day..... it's never covered however the park including the sand is cleaned twice a week. My dd's first preschool had the entire yard filled with sand - again not covered.

If I had a sandbox in my backyard I would want it covered mostly because the winds would get sand all over the place.
MarinaVanessa 09:19 AM 05-04-2017
I'm in CA and I've never read a regulation stating that we have to have it covered but my analyst always asks providers how they cover it and pressure a lot of providers to cover theirs.

I have a small wooden sandbox with wooden "doors" that open up and fold into little benches because we have a cat and I really don't want it or any other neighborhood cat to use it as a litter box. If we're not actively using the sandbox then the sandbox gets closed up.
daycarediva 09:30 AM 05-04-2017
I hate sand. It's probably the ONLY sensory item I don't offer.

No sandboxes (we play with dirt in a sandbox, covered)
AmyKidsCo 01:14 PM 05-04-2017
I don't cover mine - it's not required in WI. I rake through it regularly to make sure none of the neighborhood cats has visited, remove leaves, etc.
284878 03:50 PM 05-04-2017
We are required to cover or rake daily.
I had a 5x4 foot box that I left uncovered and didn't always rake, until I found out the reason they wanted it covered / raked and that was to make sure that our legless critters and other ground animals were making it there home.
I then banned the use of it and decided to turn it into a raised garden.
Oh sand vs dirt, I am not sure what the difference is but my sandbox was part of what was left over after digging my basement. There was no bottom to the sandbox, if they wanted to, they could try to dig to China.
(Not that I let DCk dig that deep.)
flying_babyb 10:35 PM 05-04-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't cover mine - it's not required in WI. I rake through it regularly to make sure none of the neighborhood cats has visited, remove leaves, etc.
See THATS the issue! we have a rabbit family living under our playground shed, a bunch of neighborhood cats and a skunk, most of which I'm guessing leave there business in our sandbox. Was hoping there was a rule
DaveA 05:22 AM 05-05-2017
I have a cover more for over winter than daily use. It's near pine and maple trees, so I tend to cover it more during the spring and fall than during the summer. I do rake it out quite frequently.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
See THATS the issue! we have a rabbit family living under our playground shed, a bunch of neighborhood cats and a skunk, most of which I'm guessing leave there business in our sandbox. Was hoping there was a rule
Is there a law in your area about leashing cats? My neighbor's cat used to try and do it's business in my sandbox too but there is a law here saying your cat must be on a leash if outdoors and is not allowed to run/roam freely.

I captured the cat doing it's business on my security camera and contacted our community service officer. He watched the video, confirmed that it was the neighbor's cat, fined the neighbor ($75) and now the cat is ALWAYS on a leash and I do not have cat feces in my sandbox.

Also, whether there is a rule or not, I don't see why you couldn't just get a large tarp (super inexpensive at most home improvement or hardware stores) and toss it over the sand box when not in use. Use heavy items (toys or rocks) to weight it down so it doesn't blow away.

Most animals wanting to do their business in the sandbox won't crawl under a tarp to do it.
flying_babyb 12:40 PM 05-05-2017
No kitty leash law. We have lots of strays in the area. currently working on proof of reasons why we need a tarp cause our owner is cheap. this is the lady who grumped at us over a $2.19 box of peeps!
Reply Up