Baby Beluga 08:20 AM 05-29-2018
Today I have:

5 year old DCB
6 year old DCB
5 year old DCG
2.5 year old DCB
6 year old - my own daughter
14 month old - my own son

Holy COW these older kids are NUTS. And LOUD. So very loud. I thought my niche was 3 - 5/6. Now, I'm not so sure
Baby Beluga 08:27 AM 05-29-2018
And of course we have grass seed that was planted over the bare spots (that the DCK's no doubt created....) so we can't go in the backyard for 2 weeks.

We're doing other movement activities, but nothing is a substitute for running amok outside
storybookending 11:30 AM 05-29-2018
I ran a school aged program for years. I will never go back.
Blackcat31 01:25 PM 05-29-2018
SA kids are awesome.

As long as they aren't here.

No, I really do think SA kids can be fun and enjoyable but not within the context of mixed ages.

They can be fun and enjoyable if you only have SA kids.

Hopefully, your day passes swiftly and they aren't too terribly behaved.
JBWWCC 01:30 PM 05-29-2018
With my licensing we have to have at least 2 school age kids. 1 of those is my own, so it's never rough for me. I was thinking about doing an all SA summer. Maybe I should reconsider?
Blackcat31 01:56 PM 05-29-2018
Originally Posted by JBWWCC:
With my licensing we have to have at least 2 school age kids. 1 of those is my own, so it's never rough for me. I was thinking about doing an all SA summer. Maybe I should reconsider?

Your license says you have to have SA?
TooManyKitties 01:59 PM 05-29-2018
She’s in CA. I think she means, *no more than* two SA, which is how licensing works here.
JBWWCC 02:28 PM 05-29-2018
In California yes. With a small license I can have up to 8 children 2 of which have to be 6 years or older.
JBWWCC 02:30 PM 05-29-2018
Originally Posted by TooManyKitties:
She’s in CA. I think she means, *no more than* two SA, which is how licensing works here.
I can have all 8 school age children if I wanted to. It would bring absolutely zero business during the school year haha. But with a small license, I can have 8 children. 2 of which have to be 6 years or older.
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 05-29-2018
In California yes. With a small license I can have up to 8 children 2 of which have to be 6 years or older.
Oh, gottcha!
I thought you meant that you HAD to have SA kids and I was like but now I understand.

Thank you for clarifying.
LK5kids 03:22 PM 05-29-2018
Years ago when I was in Iowa doing FCC I could have 6 under school age and 5 school age. Before and after school for two hours I could just be by myself with that many.

Usually after school I had that many and in the summer my daughter helped. Had to be 14 yrs or older. Those school kids were soooo easy! They played great, were never loud, etc. I had a large yard that bordered the woods. They played outside so well and played quietly in my lunch area for the entire nap time.

I can't imagine it being that way now! Things have really changed!
Baby Beluga 03:33 PM 05-29-2018
6 year old DCB and my own DD are technically the only 2 AS kids. Everyone else starts K in August. Silly me figured that would make a difference

My own DD is of course the most work of them all. She riles the entire group up. When I make her leave the classroom, the other children are easy peasy.
Mike 04:28 PM 05-29-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
6 year old DCB and my own DD are technically the only 2 AS kids. Everyone else starts K in August. Silly me figured that would make a difference

My own DD is of course the most work of them all. She riles the entire group up. When I make her leave the classroom, the other children are easy peasy.
Sounds like maybe your dd should be an assistant. Give her something to do.
sharlan 08:15 AM 05-30-2018
You can have all the SA kids you want!

Personally, I only want the ones I've raised. My grandkids and the 8 yo I've had for 6 years are fine.
Baby Beluga 09:34 AM 05-30-2018
At this point I think I will send my own DD to camp, and enroll all the SA's I can over the summers.

Kidding.

Sort of
Josiegirl 03:45 AM 05-31-2018
I have a love/hate relationship with each age group. It's so much easier without mixing in the ages though, then you can cater to that particular age group. Right now with 1 speed crawler, although he took about 6 steps yesterday while momma was picking up!)and a 20 mo who is into *everything*, plus 4 prek dcks, it's so hard. I've looked back and realize we haven't done a lot of special activities because of choking hazards or littles getting into paint, glue, etc.
Last summer when I had 4 dcks, aged 6-10, I know they were soo bored here. Especially if they didn't care for younger ones.
Rainbow 11:36 AM 05-31-2018
I don't get it. How could that ever work? If you lose a SA and now only have 1 SA, then you're what - out of luck? All 6 of your other kids now need to fine new daycare?
sharlan 11:48 AM 05-31-2018
Originally Posted by Rainbow:
I don't get it. How could that ever work? If you lose a SA and now only have 1 SA, then you're what - out of luck? All 6 of your other kids now need to fine new daycare?
No, we are licensed for 6, but are allowed to have 2 additional school aged kids for a total of 8.

We can have all 8 school aged kids. But our max for preschool is 6. Only 2 if this can be under 24 months.
sharlan 11:54 AM 05-31-2018
Double post
CityGarden 11:59 AM 05-31-2018
Originally Posted by TooManyKitties:
Yes this is how I took it... I am in CA with a small license since I have no interest in SA care I just tell parents I am licensed for six per day.
Tags:older kids
Reply Up