Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bathroom Trips During Nap
melissa ann 10:15 AM 01-26-2012
I have 3 1/2 yr old dcb who, during nap time, can not go more than 20 minutes without getting up to use the bathroom. He goes more in a 2 hour nap/quiet time, than he does all morning. The kids use the bathroom right before napping, so not sure why he only goes 2 times from 7-noon, but goes 4-5 times during nap.
Cat Herder 10:19 AM 01-26-2012
Is he falling asleep between trips?
Lianne 10:23 AM 01-26-2012
Kids here have to wear pull ups until they can hold their urine for the length of naptime. Occasionally a child will ask to use the washroom but if it looks like it's becoming a game, I hand them a pull up.
melissa ann 10:29 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Is he falling asleep between trips?
Yes. But it's annoying, because he will call out my name to say he has to go to the bathroom. I always tell the kids, if you have to go, just get up and go. When he's done in the bathroom, he goes back down and goes to sleep.
Heidi 10:41 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
Yes. But it's annoying, because he will call out my name to say he has to go to the bathroom. I always tell the kids, if you have to go, just get up and go. When he's done in the bathroom, he goes back down and goes to sleep.
This is a situation I would maybe use a sticker for. It's a habit, but it doesn't sound like he's purposely instigating. If he makes it through nap without getting up, he gets a sticker?

I would never put a pullup on the guy...sure go ahead, pee your pants? sorry to whoever suggested that, but I couldn't do that.
Cat Herder 10:48 AM 01-26-2012
It is possible that he is having a ...uh, hmmmm... Morning Wood issue.

It can be pretty common and frustrating at this age....

The ped said for some it can be very uncomfortable and makes them think they are about to urinate...

Apparently a "Pee erection" can be confused with the above for a little guy.... I don't know... I willl take his word on it...he does wear a Superman Cape under his dress shirt, after-all.
dave4him 10:56 AM 01-26-2012
Dont have any ideas on that one. Im going to have a problem soon enough as mine start potty training.
melissa ann 11:21 AM 01-26-2012
He will pee every time he gets up, so he's not purposely getting up and he does go back to sleep each time. I've had other boys in my care before as well as my own son, and never had any of them get up every 20 mins or so to go to the bathroom.
Cat Herder 12:38 PM 01-26-2012
I have assisted in training LOT'S of boys over the years, too (I have trained 2 sons, myself).... And this rarely happens...

It does sometimes happen, though...

With my particular little guy we suspected kidney or bladder problems. Everything checked out fine. We even had this boy checked out for UTI....
It ONLY happened during sleep times.

NOPE, nothing medical, just..... so it was an issue for HIM.

Just thinking out of the box.... It may not be your issue...it was just one of my past experiences.
Breezy 12:42 PM 01-26-2012
My husband is like this. If he wakes up a little bit at night he has to go empty his bladder. Even if he was just there 10 minutes ago.
busymommy0420 03:44 PM 01-26-2012
I have three that sleep during quiet time and two that don't. They are 3 and 4 and play quietly with books, puzzles and quiet toys. They go to the potty at least 5 times each during the 2 hour period. I think they do have to go but also think it might be boredom during the quiet time. It is no bother to me, I always ask if they washed their hands each time. They do not speak when they leave, they just go! I like the incentive idea, I do stamps on the girls hands for many things like cleaning up, Caught Ya being nice (like if I just see them being nice to someone ex: helping someone, cheering someone up) and getting ready to go outside quickly. It is IMO better then stickers which end up on the floor and they love the stamps. I have about 30 different stamps to choose from. The parents do not mind it on their skin, and neither do I.
Ariana 05:31 PM 01-26-2012
Have you ever tried asking him to go back to sleep? Or will he continually ask to go when you do this? When I worked at a centre I would always ask the child to "wait 10 minutes" and if they never asked again they didn't really need to go...if they did ask again then they really did need to go.
Tags:boys, potty issues
Reply Up