Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Paid/Unpaid time off
All time off is paid 14 24.56%
Some time off is paid 30 52.63%
No time off is paid 13 22.81%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paid/Unpaid Time Off Poll
Country Kids 09:42 PM 02-21-2012
Just curious how many of you are paid for the time off that you take. I think its very interesting how it varies throughout the states.
Meyou 03:53 AM 02-22-2012
I take 12 days paid(holidays) and 10 days unpaid (vacation). However, my vacation is worked into my regular prices now so technically I'm paid for those too. I bank a little each week in a separate account to cover my taxes and vacation.
Rachel 04:04 AM 02-22-2012
I'm not in the US, but I get all holidays, 2.5 weeks vacation, and 3 personal days per year, paid.

Any sick time or emergency I take I need to pay for the kids to go to someone else, so depending on who decides to go, it is unpaid or paid less.
MommieNana4 05:16 AM 02-22-2012
I take 2 weeks of vacation (one paid one unpaid). However, I only take one week which is enough for me. I take off most federal holidays and have 5 personal/sick days (all paid).
MrsB 05:21 AM 02-22-2012
2 weeks paid at half the weekly rate and all the holidays and 5 personal days per year are paid in full.
snbauser 05:26 AM 02-22-2012
I checked paid because when I was smaller I closed and got paid for all holidays and vacations. Now that I have expanded it actually costs me to take time off because I have to pay my help to cover my time away unless I close like the week between Christmas and New Years.
wahmof3 05:34 AM 02-22-2012
This is the 1st year I have included paid holidays. Up until this year I have always done a daily rate. I was losing way too much income! Its already bad enough that I have all teachers kids (there are perks & the summers suck).

I am going to add into my contracts a few paid personal days next year. I won't go overboard but I have earned them
Crazy8 05:38 AM 02-22-2012
voted "some" - 9 paid holidays (the major ones) and 5 paid vac. days. If I take any additional time off it is unpaid.
Cat Herder 05:39 AM 02-22-2012
Federal/National Holidays that fall during the work week are paid.

My personal vacations are not.
small_steps 06:10 AM 02-22-2012
8 paid holidays. I am adding 2 weeks of unpaid vacation to my handbook this year and maybe one of these days I will graduate that to paid vacation time. I just can't bring myself to add it yet...not sure any of my parents would go for it.
frugalmama4 09:49 AM 02-22-2012
This is stated in my parent handbook-

Providers Vacations:

As with most companies employees are given a paid vacation based on hours worked per-year, I believe I should also receive a paid vacation. I will take no more than two weeks of vacation each year; I will never take two weeks consecutively. The first week will be a paid vacation. The second week you will not be billed for. You will be responsible for finding alternate care during provider’s vacation(s). You will always be given a two month notice of my plan vacations.

Providers Sick/Personal Days:

As with most companies employees are given paid sick/personal time for themselves and/or immediate family members to allow for doctor appointments and rest, I am giving myself the same courtesy as followed.

• Scheduled doctor appointments “I will provide an alternate care child provider at no additional cost to you”
• My children activities “I will provide an alternate care child provider at no additional cost to you”
• Sick family member “out side of my home”

You will always be given plenty of notice in advance for scheduled appointments.

In the event I become too ill to be in a position to provide childcare and a alternate care provider is unavailable, you will be credited for that day and or time frame which ever applies.

Please note, when I am providing an alternate child care provider in my home and you wish to make your own arrangements for child care you will not be reimbursed.

Parent/Child(ren) Vacations:

All families are allowed (2) two weeks of vacation time each year, which can be taken anytime during the year. Any time outside of this will require prior approval and a slot hold fee may apply. Your first week will be FREE. The second week you will be billed for all days and hours your child is normally scheduled to be in care, as this will coincide with the provider’s paid and un-paid vacation(s).

Please notify me at least 2 weeks in advance when you plan to take vacations.

Parent/Child(ren) Sick Days:

• You will still be required to make full payment for all days and hours your child is normally scheduled to be in care.
• For absences of (10) ten consecutive days or more due to serious illnesses, a doctor’s note is required. Fees/ slot holds will be discussed at this time.
• For absences due to maternity leave or extended leave from work/school ˝ (half) of one month’s entire tuition must be paid in advance before the scheduled leave in order to hold your child(ren) slot. Your child may attend 2days per-week during the leave of absence.
lil angels 10:00 AM 02-22-2012
I take twelve days paid vacation. And all major holidays paid. If I have to call in sick or if an emergency comes up I am not paid otherwise I always get paid.
JenNJ 10:17 AM 02-22-2012
I am paid for holidays and 5 personal/sick days per year. I do not charge for my vacation.

I need to change my contracts so that parents do pay for their vacations though. I was giving each family 5 days (full time) but I don't want to anymore.
Heidi 12:30 PM 02-22-2012
major holidays, varies a little by year-paid
3 paid personal days (if I took 4, no one would complain)
if kids are off, they pay anyway (but my toughest kids are naturally hardly ever off)
Tuition is $110 per week, paid in advance of care
PitterPatter 01:25 PM 02-22-2012
Never paid, Nothing… Nada… Jack… Zip… Zilch... Zero

I would love to be paid even if just for a couple days like Christmas! But like they tell me I choose to accept the subsidy program so it's on me.
Texasjeepgirl 07:18 PM 02-22-2012
I don't understand how the subsidy program dictates to you how you run your business... I have read similar things a few times on this forum.. I suppose it is 'other states... possibly other countries...'...
I also recieve subsidy from clients who qualify.. but they do not dictate to me what I can charge.....

For 18 years I did not charge if I closed my daycare for a MONDAY-FRIDAY full week vacation... If I was open for any portion of that week.. I charged full fee...
Two years ago I gave my clients 90 days advance notice.. and changed my policy.. full fee ... 52 weeks per year.. including 2 weeks of vacation...

My parents have been lucky so far...
In 2010.. I gave them 6 months advance notice.. took a 1 week vacation... did not take a second week that year..
In 2011 I made arrangements with an assistant to run the daycare on Wednesday...closed my daycare Thursday and Friday...so 2 days for my vacation that year.. never took another vacation all year...
This year.. 2012...
I am closing 2 days at the end of May.. and 3 days in mid June... but... open the rest of each of those weeks...
so... long story short.. so far.. even after 2 full years of having the policy of 2 weeks per year of paid vacation.. I haven't actually done that yet...
Check the 2012 calendar... I will take the rest of my vacation dates in December... check out how the holiday falls!!!
DBug 06:49 AM 02-23-2012
Stats are paid, my 3 weeks of vacation is unpaid (2 weeks in the summer, 1 at Christmas). My personal or sick days (if I take any) are unpaid.

New this year, families get 10 days of half-pay to use whenever their child is absent for any reason. It used to be half for any and all sick days and half for a vacation week. Turns out I was losing ALOT of money doing it that way!
e.j. 11:01 AM 02-23-2012
My holidays are paid but any other time (sick, vacation, personal...) is unpaid.
SD DaycareMOM 11:41 AM 02-23-2012
I take all major holidays off, paid, and 1 week (usually split up) of personal/vacation days per year, paid. I am considering changing this to two weeks off paid for next year since I have been in business for a while now.

And I give my dc families 10 "free days" per year for FT, 5 for PT.
mema 11:51 AM 02-23-2012
I have major holidays off with pay and can take up to 10 days of vacation with pay. They get 5 days of vacation without pay. Any days closed for illness or emergencies are unpaid.
Ariana 12:18 PM 02-23-2012
I get paid for any days the child stays home and the daycare is open. I also get paid for 5 sick days and 5 personal days and holidays. I don't get paid for MY vacation.
Tags:paid days, paid sick days, poll, time off
Reply Up