Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update: Breastfeeding Problem
Meeko 12:42 PM 11-18-2013
The mom dropped off this morning and said she was unable to nurse anymore as she's not producing enough...so formula only from now on. Then she asked if she could come and feed the baby her bottle. (She was very polite about asking)

As I was planning on talking to her today anyway, I said come over and we'll talk.

I made a bottle and sat with her as she fed the babe and explained the problem. Normally...I am very "this is the way it is...deal with it" when other problems come up. But she's a very sweet girl and her baby is gorgeous and SO easy to care for and she isn't doing anything WRONG...just inconvenient.

It went GREAT! She said she completely understood. She cried, but said only because she will miss her during the day, but that she expected it sooner or later. Then she thanked me for having made it possible until know.

What a sweetie!

Thanks for all the input. It helped me explain to her without being long-winded OR sounding cold.
MamaBearCanada 12:43 PM 11-18-2013
So glad things were resolved in such a great way.
itlw8 12:46 PM 11-18-2013
Thank you for teaching us something today also. I know I forget discussing things works better than telling Thank you
Meeko 12:53 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
Thank you for teaching us something today also. I know I forget discussing things works better than telling Thank you
When it comes to my policies/money etc. I am very rigid and matter of fact and will always be.

But in this particular instance, I felt she needed an explanation and a kind ear. She wasn't being difficult...she just didn't understand it was posing a problem and that her visit meant altering our entire schedule.

And I learned from it too. From now on I will tell BF moms that they can bring pumped milk but that my set up here doesn't make daily visits feasible.
Blackcat31 01:21 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
When it comes to my policies/money etc. I am very rigid and matter of fact and will always be.

But in this particular instance, I felt she needed an explanation and a kind ear. She wasn't being difficult...she just didn't understand it was posing a problem and that her visit meant altering our entire schedule.

And I learned from it too. From now on I will tell BF moms that they can bring pumped milk but that my set up here doesn't make daily visits feasible.
I am the same but there are always exceptions to every thing.

Sometimes, parents aren't being difficult, just one sided and the second you explain things from a different perspective, they "get it" immediately.

I had one a few months ago that wanted to "visit" on their lunch hour. I asked them how they felt if I allowed other parents they don't know to visit their child, which would mean contact with theirs, they suddenly understood why I couldn't allow it.

I didn't think this family was being difficult either, just seeing things from their view only.
Reply Up