Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT- Fever Q
daycarediva 04:15 PM 02-17-2014
My son (almost 6) is off from school. He naps on weekends/breaks. He woke up with a low grade fever. (99.2) I gave no meds. Fast forward to 5, he is 103.2. Dh gave him a cool bath, Tylenol, Popsicles. He is still burning up now (little after 7) 103.1. He is shaking like a leaf saying that he is cold. He is also allergic to Motrin/ibuprofen so I can't alternate.

His dr is on vacation and I am not fond of the backup service. My only option would be urgent care, but I don't want to do that unless necessary.

Wwyd? She wants to go in now. I was thinking go in if it increases anymore.
daycare 04:18 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
My son (almost 6) is off from school. He naps on weekends/breaks. He woke up with a low grade fever. (99.2) I gave no meds. Fast forward to 5, he is 103.2. Dh gave him a cool bath, Tylenol, Popsicles. He is still burning up now (little after 7) 103.1. He is shaking like a leaf saying that he is cold. He is also allergic to Motrin/ibuprofen so I can't alternate.

His dr is on vacation and I am not fond of the backup service. My only option would be urgent care, but I don't want to do that unless necessary.

if you feel they need to go in see whatever doctor is there. keep her cool until then
BrooklynM 04:19 PM 02-17-2014
I have a simple rule of thumb for this one- if you have to question whether or not to go in- GO! High fevers can be very dangerous.

Please go in ASAP. The worst that can happen is that they help him to get better! We were recently struck (not in the daycare) with a tragedy with the flu and it came on VERY fast and the person was healthy and had been vaccinated. It is nothing to play around with! Sorry, I'm not trying to scare you, but when in doubt, get it checked out!
sharlan 04:20 PM 02-17-2014
Personally, I would go to urgent care.

I sent one home last Wed with a temp of 103.5. The toddler had bronchitis.
MamaBearCanada 04:34 PM 02-17-2014
My doc told us that a cool bath can make things worse. Changes in temperature make them shiver which sends the temp up even higher. Sponging just pressure points can help - forehead, wrists, neck, behind ears and lukewarm water is better. If he is sweating the sweat evapourating can make them feel cold so try change his clothes and bedding frequently and apply some talc or corn starch. Can you alternate with a children's aspirin based product? I think Bayer's makes one but ask the pharmacist for suggestions. I'm assuming he's
Drinking lots and just resting.

If the temp got higher or didn't reduce with a 2nd dose I see a doctor. If any other symptoms appear I'd go to Emerg. here in Canada if my doc was closed.

My kids are little so at 103 if it doesn't reduce after one dose I head to the doctors.
MamaBearCanada 04:35 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I have a simple rule of thumb for this one- if you have to question whether or not to go in- GO! High fevers can be very dangerous.

Please go in ASAP. The worst that can happen is that they help him to get better! We were recently struck (not in the daycare) with a tragedy with the flu and it came on VERY fast and the person was healthy and had been vaccinated. It is nothing to play around with! Sorry, I'm not trying to scare you, but when in doubt, get it checked out!
I forgot about the dangers of flu this year - yes I'd go in.
sharlan 04:38 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by mamabearcanada:
my doc told us that a cool bath can make things worse. Changes in temperature make them shiver which sends the temp up even higher. Sponging just pressure points can help - forehead, wrists, neck, behind ears and lukewarm water is better. If he is sweating the sweat evapourating can make them feel cold so try change his clothes and bedding frequently and apply some talc or corn starch. Can you alternate with a children's aspirin based product? I think bayer's makes one but ask the pharmacist for suggestions. I'm assuming he's
drinking lots and just resting.

If the temp got higher or didn't reduce with a 2nd dose i see a doctor. If any other symptoms appear i'd go to emerg. Here in canada if my doc was closed.

My kids are little so at 103 if it doesn't reduce after one dose i head to the doctors.
never give a child aspirin.

Epidemiological research has shown an association between the development of Reye's Syndrome and the use of aspirin (a salicylate compound) for treating the symptoms of influenza-like illnesses, chicken pox, colds, etc.

The U.S. Surgeon General, the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Academy of Pediatrics the National Reye's Syndrome Foundation, and WHO recommend that aspirin and combination products containing aspirin not be given to children under 19 years of age during episodes of fever-causing or viral illnesses.
CraftyMom 05:00 PM 02-17-2014

When in doubt, check it out! Better to be safe than sorry
MamaBearCanada 05:05 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
never give a child aspirin.

Epidemiological research has shown an association between the development of Reye's Syndrome and the use of aspirin (a salicylate compound) for treating the symptoms of influenza-like illnesses, chicken pox, colds, etc.

The U.S. Surgeon General, the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Academy of Pediatrics the National Reye's Syndrome Foundation, and WHO recommend that aspirin and combination products containing aspirin not be given to children under 19 years of age during episodes of fever-causing or viral illnesses.
Good to know! When I was looking for alternatives for fever reducers a US website mentioned a Bayer's children's aspirin so I assumed (wrongly) that it must be ok. We don't have children's aspirin products here (at least my part of Canada) which is why I suggested talking to the pharmacist first. Thanks for the info you posted.
daycarediva 06:38 PM 02-17-2014
I knew about the aspirin.

It's down. Called the on call pedi right before we headed in. They recommended a second dose of Tylenol ( because that's what they would do at urgent care at this point) and he is 99.1 and sound asleep.

They did say cool bath. ?

We are supposed to show up when they open tomorrow (pedi) for a visit.

I'm going to have to close, or at least open later. Dh has a call he can't reschedule in the am.

I don't even care, just happy he is ok at the moment, and he is sleeping in my bed so I can keep an eye on him.
melilley 06:58 PM 02-17-2014
I knew about the aspirin.

It's down. Called the on call pedi right before we headed in. They recommended a second dose of Tylenol ( because that's what they would do at urgent care at this point) and he is 99.1 and sound asleep.

They did say cool bath. ?

We are supposed to show up when they open tomorrow (pedi) for a visit.

I'm going to have to close, or at least open later. Dh has a call he can't reschedule in the am.

I don't even care, just happy he is ok at the moment, and he is sleeping in my bed so I can keep an eye on him.
Oh good! I didn't have any advice, but have been checking back.

My ds gets like this, but he's 1.5. He has had a high fever (105) a couple of times and once it turned out to be an ear infection. The fever didn't go away for a few days and two other times it was a "virus" right after shots and the fever didn't go down for a week.

Glad his fever went down and he can sleep!
daycarediva 04:44 AM 02-18-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Oh good! I didn't have any advice, but have been checking back.

My ds gets like this, but he's 1.5. He has had a high fever (105) a couple of times and once it turned out to be an ear infection. The fever didn't go away for a few days and two other times it was a "virus" right after shots and the fever didn't go down for a week.

Glad his fever went down and he can sleep!
It is super scary!

He spiked to 104 around 3 and we got it back down with one dose of Tylenol. He has no other symptoms so I wouldn't be urprised if it was an ear infection. He never complains when he gets them.
daycare 02:15 PM 02-18-2014
It is super scary!

He spiked to 104 around 3 and we got it back down with one dose of Tylenol. He has no other symptoms so I wouldn't be urprised if it was an ear infection. He never complains when he gets them.
Ive been thinking about your little one....how are they doing?
Tags:fever
Reply Up