Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who is to be Counted?
legomom922 06:59 PM 08-25-2010
Question: If I can legally have 2 kids without a license in my area, and I am able to have my own children here without being "counted",am I able to have a child here whom I am watching but NOT being for? Or would that child be counted too? Also, neighbors kids? Can they be in this house while I am "working" or do they get counted too? I do a friend favors by watching her child for free, because she is not part of my work, but I dont want to get in trouble for having her here either.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:30 PM 08-25-2010
I was told by an operator of a center in my town that it didn't matter if I was watching a child for nothing..if I watched them, they counted.

Now as far as the neighbors, I would assume if they had someone home that they could go home to, they wouldn't count...but that's just my thought and not backed up information.
MarinaVanessa 09:26 PM 08-25-2010
This varies from state to state so you should contact your local licensing agency and ask them to be sure.
Michael 11:09 PM 08-25-2010
in New York: https://www.daycare.com/newyork/
legomom922 04:23 AM 08-26-2010
I thought I read somewhere that you only have to count if they are for profit or income purposes only?
SunflowerMama 04:36 AM 08-26-2010
In Texas my children count toward my ratio but as far as the Food Program is concerned they don't count so I don't receive any reimbursement for them even though they are eating the exact same meals. Lose, lose for me .
DanceMom 05:34 AM 08-26-2010
In Minnesota my kids, neighbor kids, friends kids , neices, nephews, grandchildren, brothers, sisters.... ALL kids count for me !
Crystal 06:18 AM 08-26-2010
Here, all kids under the age of 14 count, unless they live with you. Providers own children up to age 10 count, and if the child of a freind lives with you, they count until age 10 too.
MarinaVanessa 07:03 AM 08-26-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I thought I read somewhere that you only have to count if they are for profit or income purposes only?
My daughter (which is 5) counts against my ratio and will until she is 13 and any children that want to come over and "play" count also within that same age range whether I charge or not. For example, my daughter counts and soemetimes my nephews come over as drop-ins and I only charge for the 2yo since he's more work but don't charge for my 8yo nephew since he's easier to take care of but they both count towards my ratio whether I get paid or not. I am licensed in CA and even here the policies are different from county to county so again, you should check with your local licensing office just to be sure.
MMk9987 06:53 AM 11-19-2010
well it says that in the state of florida that your own children count. but my son will not be apart of my daycare my mom is going to watch him for me and she is going to get paid
nannyde 08:57 AM 11-19-2010
Here, all kids (guest kids included) under the age of 12 count, unless they live with you. Providers own children up to age 5 count
legomom922 09:53 AM 11-19-2010
I forgot this thread was even out here, LOL. I did end up calling on this a while back shortly after this thread, and was told friends, neighbors and my own under 12 count, so if my 13yr old wants to have 2 friends over, he cant..Which I don't think is fair to him. But my 15 yr old can have friends over who are over 12. It's kinda hard for a kid to understand why he cant have his friends over afterschool..
DCMomOf3 11:46 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I forgot this thread was even out here, LOL. I did end up calling on this a while back shortly after this thread, and was told friends, neighbors and my own under 12 count, so if my 13yr old wants to have 2 friends over, he cant..Which I don't think is fair to him. But my 15 yr old can have friends over who are over 12. It's kinda hard for a kid to understand why he cant have his friends over afterschool..
If 12 years and up don't count, why couldn't your 13yo have friends over?
legomom922 01:28 PM 11-19-2010
sorry I meant to say 12 and under. Thats why the 15 yr old can have over 12 yr here.
DaycareMama 02:50 PM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Here, all kids (guest kids included) under the age of 12 count, unless they live with you. Providers own children up to age 5 count
This is how it is in NY. If they are on your property or in your home regardless of paying, or being neighbors they count. My pre teen son always had a problem with this because he couldn't have to many friends over depending on my #'s at the time.
Tags:ratios
Reply Up