Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many On Waiting List?
BumbleBee 02:20 PM 05-23-2014
Just need some opinions on how many people to put on my waiting list before 'closing' it.

Some info first though: I am licensed for 6 at one time. 4 of those 6 can be under 30 months. Of the 4 under 30 months, only 2 can be under 18 months.

My next infant spot will be open in October 2014. After I fill that one, I won't have another infant spot open until June 2015.

My next toddler spot will be open in August 2014. After that one is filled, I won't have another toddler spot until October 2015.

Is it even worth a waiting list with such long wait times? Do I tell them no? I'd like to do a waiting list but I'm just not sure how.

Since I've been open (1.5 years) I've had 2 leave because they moved out of the area, 2 leave because they were my problem family, and 1 aged out.

I'm almost full for the summer but for the past 3 months I've been running in the red so I think a waiting list would be nice-but then I get stuck with how to do one.

TIA ladies!
craftymissbeth 02:41 PM 05-23-2014
I have two on my wait list, but I don't think it's wise to close it. Even if the wait time is long, anything can happen between now and then. The more people on your wait list the better chance of having someone fill a spot that could come open, kwim? It's not likely that anyone on the list is going to really wait for a spot to open... they'll find other child care arrangements.

Long story short, I would keep it open and continue to add anyone that calls that you think would be a good fit.
daycarediva 04:07 PM 05-23-2014
I don't close my wait list. I even advertise as interviewing for my waiting list.

I also don't know who on my waiting list will still want/need care when/if I call. Their circumstances change as well.
Reply Up