Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Will You "Hold" A Spot?
mamav29 11:51 AM 01-23-2012
Here's my situation:
I have my own 2 year old. I recently started watching a 3-month-old and a 17-month old. The 17-month-old's mother is pregnant and due in 2 months (which I didn't know until after the child started - I interviewed with the father, and he didn't tell me). I still don't know if they plan on using me again once the baby is born, for one or both children. The mother is going out on maternity leave early March and taking the toddler out. She said the soonest she would be back is July (that's assuming she DOES come back.. she did not say for sure). I really enjoy the family, my daughter gets along really well with the toddler and it's nice to have a child close to her age, etc.. but 4-5 months (at least) is a long time to go without that income. I would hate to lose out on the family if they were to come back with both kids, especially since my daughter has made a good friend, but they have not given a definite answer. I would like to start looking for a replacement if I knew for sure they were leaving for good.
Anyway, sorry that was so long - WWYD? Give a deadline?
Blackcat31 12:13 PM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by mamav29:
Here's my situation:
I have my own 2 year old. I recently started watching a 3-month-old and a 17-month old. The 17-month-old's mother is pregnant and due in 2 months (which I didn't know until after the child started - I interviewed with the father, and he didn't tell me). I still don't know if they plan on using me again once the baby is born, for one or both children. The mother is going out on maternity leave early March and taking the toddler out. She said the soonest she would be back is July (that's assuming she DOES come back.. she did not say for sure). I really enjoy the family, my daughter gets along really well with the toddler and it's nice to have a child close to her age, etc.. but 4-5 months (at least) is a long time to go without that income. I would hate to lose out on the family if they were to come back with both kids, especially since my daughter has made a good friend, but they have not given a definite answer. I would like to start looking for a replacement if I knew for sure they were leaving for good.
I require a written two week notice (or paid notice equal to the two weeks) if parents are pulling their child out of care for any reason. I do NOT hold spots for anyone, even if they paln on returning unless they pay for the spot. Some providers require a deposit, some require 50% of the regular rate.

I require payment in full for all spaces~ used or unused. If they choose to pull out and not attend or pay, I do not guarantee that the space will be available when they do want it. Daycare is NOT a charity. It is my job.
Cat Herder 12:52 PM 01-23-2012
IMHO, If she is not begging you to keep slots for both of her kids she is not planning to come back....

I have never had a Mother announce her pregnancy to me without following it up with "Is there any way you will have/make room???" or "I am going to stay home."

I'd start advertising and inform DCM that you operate on a first come, first serve basis.

Try not to take it personally.. It happens alot when the second/third child comes along. They add up the costs of childcare x2/3, gas, clothing, expenses then put it up against their paychecks and realize they'd be better off staying home.
JenNJ 02:07 PM 01-23-2012
Either charge her for the spots or find replacements. Anything besides that will leave you with less money and a handful of promises. If people are serious, they will pay. Car dealers don't hold cars without deposits, they find another buyer. Same for daycare. It is a business.

Don't look at it from your child'e perspective. Your child will be friendly with almost any other child her age. You have the unique position of being able to choose her friends for a few years. Get out there and find her a new buddy!
mamav29 03:33 PM 01-23-2012
Thanks for your input. Yeah that's kinda what I thought.. my gut is telling me she's not coming back... but then why not just say so? She may not have decided yet, but I'll ask for two week's notice. I'm not worried about it - I've been babysitting occasional nights for a little boy even closer to my daughter's age and he might start coming part time right around the time the other family leaves so I'll have SOME income and a playmate for her. I still may search for another full-timer..
Unregistered 06:27 PM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by mamav29:
Here's my situation:
I had the situation happen to me. The woman said she'd come back in June of last year, and then she turned around and never came back. Never called, NOTHING. I didn't even get to meet the new baby. She just threw me away after 2 1/2 years of service and promises to come back. She said that she was going to make the choice to stay home...well, I'd understand that, all she had to do was be honest. I would never hold a spot again without a consistent payment. Even if you only have her pay 1/2 her slot, if she pays, generally she'll be serious about returning and if she doesn't, you are not out ALL that money. I quit dc in November.
mamav29 05:37 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I had the situation happen to me. The woman said she'd come back in June of last year, and then she turned around and never came back. Never called, NOTHING. I didn't even get to meet the new baby. She just threw me away after 2 1/2 years of service and promises to come back. She said that she was going to make the choice to stay home...well, I'd understand that, all she had to do was be honest. I would never hold a spot again without a consistent payment. Even if you only have her pay 1/2 her slot, if she pays, generally she'll be serious about returning and if she doesn't, you are not out ALL that money. I quit dc in November.
Wow, people are unbelievable!
Tags:holding spot, maternity leave - fees, maternity leave contract
Reply Up