Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Florida Vacation-OT Need Info
Heidi 11:37 AM 11-22-2013
So, last Christmas we went to Florida for the first time at Christmas. We sat on the beach on Christmas Day, and it was awesome!

This year is Christmas at home, but next year we're back to Florida. We stayed in Kissimmee last time, but I would like to try somewhere else. I'm looking for advice.

2 adults and 2 teens, and we would be there about a week. I'd prefer the ocean side, and perhaps a little further south.
Blackcat31 11:53 AM 11-22-2013
I love Daytona Beach!

Awesome place...but then again, we are NASCAR fanatics so.....

But the beach was beautiful the hotels cheap (off season of course) and food choices good.

We've also been Ocala, Orlando and Cape Canaveral (Kennedy Space Center)

They all seem to have their fair share of tourist attractions so I am sure there are things to do anywhere you go.

Being a gal from the North, anywhere south where the sun shines is good.
coolconfidentme 01:06 PM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I love Daytona Beach!

But the beach was beautiful the hotels cheap (off season of course) and food choices good.

They all seem to have their fair share of tourist attractions so I am sure there are things to do anywhere you go.

I thought about running in their 1/2 marathon next Feb. Great excuse to take a vacay there.
Heidi 01:43 PM 11-22-2013
anyone know the Pampano Beach, Ft. Lauderdale area?

I found a ferry service that leaves Ft. Lauderdale and takes you to Grand Bahama Island for $99 per person (a day trip). That could be cool...
Laurel 03:39 PM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
anyone know the Pampano Beach, Ft. Lauderdale area?

I found a ferry service that leaves Ft. Lauderdale and takes you to Grand Bahama Island for $99 per person (a day trip). That could be cool...
I live in Ft. Lauderdale. I live 11 miles from Pompano Beach.

I have done the day trip to the Bahamas (not sure it was a ferry though) but we stayed for more days. So I guess it wasn't the day trip. Okay, to explain, a lot of the people on there went back but we stayed in the Bahamas. I thought they stayed a weekend though rather than a day. It was a long time ago so not sure now.

It was a very nice trip and we took a bus trip in the Bahamas and it was very cool. We made stops at several places and one was a pristine beach that was amazing. We had time to swim. Had we not been with the bus group we would have never found it on our own. The cool thing about the beaches in the Bahamas is that they don't (or didn't then) allow hotels to be built right on the beaches like in Florida. On that bus tour, however, there was a restaurant built on a remote beach was so neat. Another thing we wouldn't have found had it not been for the tour. Then they took us out on a little boat and gave us bread to feed the fish that would come up alongside the boat. We went to a little shopping area as well.

The bus driver was soooo funny. He was great! We also asked him questions about the Bahamas. He really got into it and made the trip so much fun!

Pompano Beach is a nice beach but I like Ft. Lauderdale beach better although I don't go to either much. Ft. Lauderdale beach has shade, picnic tables, grills, playgrounds for the kiddies and things like that. They all don't. Hollywood Beach has a boardwalk that is nice. There really isn't a bad beach though all along the coast.

People around here love Key West but I'm not a big fan. The beach has rocks not sand. You can watch the sunset from Mallory Square and it is simply amazing. There are two types of hotels which are the chain ones and then very old neat houses which were made into hotels. We stayed in one of the Victorian type homes at Christmas time. Beautiful with all the lights! It has it's good points and most people love it. I just thought it was okay mostly.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to try and help.

Laurel
Laurel 03:46 PM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I love Daytona Beach!

I was in Daytona but it was a long time ago. As I recall, you can drive your car along the beach. Is that right? I just remember being nervous cause I'm not gonna sit on the beach if cars are allowed on it. On the other hand, it would be very cool to drive along the beach.

As I recall the restaurants and things were fairly inexpensive and nice.

Laurel
Heidi 05:45 PM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I live in Ft. Lauderdale. I live 11 miles from Pompano Beach.

I have done the day trip to the Bahamas (not sure it was a ferry though) but we stayed for more days. So I guess it wasn't the day trip. Okay, to explain, a lot of the people on there went back but we stayed in the Bahamas. I thought they stayed a weekend though rather than a day. It was a long time ago so not sure now.

It was a very nice trip and we took a bus trip in the Bahamas and it was very cool. We made stops at several places and one was a pristine beach that was amazing. We had time to swim. Had we not been with the bus group we would have never found it on our own. The cool thing about the beaches in the Bahamas is that they don't (or didn't then) allow hotels to be built right on the beaches like in Florida. On that bus tour, however, there was a restaurant built on a remote beach was so neat. Another thing we wouldn't have found had it not been for the tour. Then they took us out on a little boat and gave us bread to feed the fish that would come up alongside the boat. We went to a little shopping area as well.

The bus driver was soooo funny. He was great! We also asked him questions about the Bahamas. He really got into it and made the trip so much fun!

Pompano Beach is a nice beach but I like Ft. Lauderdale beach better although I don't go to either much. Ft. Lauderdale beach has shade, picnic tables, grills, playgrounds for the kiddies and things like that. They all don't. Hollywood Beach has a boardwalk that is nice. There really isn't a bad beach though all along the coast.

People around here love Key West but I'm not a big fan. The beach has rocks not sand. You can watch the sunset from Mallory Square and it is simply amazing. There are two types of hotels which are the chain ones and then very old neat houses which were made into hotels. We stayed in one of the Victorian type homes at Christmas time. Beautiful with all the lights! It has it's good points and most people love it. I just thought it was okay mostly.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to try and help.

Laurel
Thanks! I will definitely be hitting you up for information!
NeedaVaca 06:38 PM 11-22-2013
I loved the Keys! We were there for New Year's Eve and it was amazing!
Laurel 04:57 AM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Thanks! I will definitely be hitting you up for information!
Okay, no problem!

Laurel
Play Care 05:00 AM 11-23-2013
I loved Key West for the town and the activities, but the beaches are disappointing. That said, since it's so far south I think you have a better chance of the weather being warmer that time of year.

Funny story - we just went to WDW this past February. Of course we left out winter coats in the car at the park, ride, and fly of our home airport because we didn't think we would need them in Orlando. We arrive in Orlando and it was FREEZING! Our first day at Magic Kingdom we kept popping into shops to warm up. I believe the high was 40 something at least we had jeans and sweatshirts but we sure could have used our winter coats!! the rest of the week was in the 70's and low 80's and I did manage to get my sunburn by the pool
nanglgrl 09:42 AM 11-23-2013
I vote for the siesta beach area. It's the prettiest beach I've been to in Florida. Clear water, white sand that doesn't get hot and very little seaweed.
Heidi 10:33 AM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I loved Key West for the town and the activities, but the beaches are disappointing. That said, since it's so far south I think you have a better chance of the weather being warmer that time of year.

Funny story - we just went to WDW this past February. Of course we left out winter coats in the car at the park, ride, and fly of our home airport because we didn't think we would need them in Orlando. We arrive in Orlando and it was FREEZING! Our first day at Magic Kingdom we kept popping into shops to warm up. I believe the high was 40 something at least we had jeans and sweatshirts but we sure could have used our winter coats!! the rest of the week was in the 70's and low 80's and I did manage to get my sunburn by the pool
yeah, it rained the day we were at Universal last year, and it was in the 50's. We were soaked and cold, and there were a million people there, but my daughter loved it, and that was her activity choice, so it was worth it.
Heidi 10:39 AM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I loved the Keys! We were there for New Year's Eve and it was amazing!
which island?
Sugar Magnolia 05:13 AM 11-24-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I vote for the siesta beach area. It's the prettiest beach I've been to in Florida. Clear water, white sand that doesn't get hot and very little seaweed.
Home Sweet Home!

Yep. The weather down here.......so fine.
Reply Up