Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bumbo Chairs
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 02-21-2012
Came across this on another forum. http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ety/53032746/1

Don't know how many providers use them (or even are allowed to) but thought I would post anyways for safety sake. One can never be too careful.

Parents may find some info in this too.
wdmmom 08:14 AM 02-21-2012
Wow! I've never had one but was considering buying one! Not anymore! I don't need that kind of liability staring me in the face everyday!
saved4always 08:18 AM 02-21-2012
Thanks for posting! I am forwarding to a friend who is currently using one!
DCMom 08:19 AM 02-21-2012
I love my Bumbo chairs.

I use them where they are intended to be used. On the floor.

You can't legislate/redesign/recall/make safer a product that people don't use correctly. Stories like this just irritate me.

But thanks for the info Blackcat
JenNJ 08:20 AM 02-21-2012
Honestly, I have had one for years. It works well and it is safe WHEN USED PROPERLY!

Originally Posted by :
CPSC and Bumbo International are aware of at least 45 incidents in which infants fell out of a Bumbo seat while it was being used on an elevated surface which occurred after an October 25, 2007 voluntary recall of the product. The recall required that new warnings be placed on the seat to deter elevated usage of the product. Since the recall, CPSC and Bumbo International have learned that 17 of those infants, ages 3-10 months, suffered skull fractures. These incidents and injuries involved both recalled Bumbo seats and Bumbo seats sold after the recall with the additional on-product warnings.
No one should EVER put a child on an elevated surface. Ever. You know that you can't leave a child on a changing table, so why do these parents and caregivers put a seat on a table? It is not a flaw of the product -- it is user error. No carseats, booster seats, bouncy seats, swings, etc on elevated surfaces. That is common sense.

When I use mine I have the child in the seat on a carpeted area with no hard objects or sharp corners nearby.
Childminder 08:22 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by :
Article said two skull fractures were while it was used on the floor. I also have thought about getting one...hmmm...not now.
SilverSabre25 08:32 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Article said two skull fractures were while it was used on the floor. I also have thought about getting one...hmmm...not now.
Well, but you kind of want to know how that happened, right? I'd say that the child probably fell onto something other than the floor, such as a toy, the sharp edge of a table leg or other piece of furniture, etc.

Just sayin'.

And I want to know why ten month olds were in it...isn't it designed for children who can't yet sit up independently, and are kind of on that "cusp" of sitting? If a ten-month isn't sitting yet I would be more than a little bit worried.

Also, were any of these falls the results of a baby being mad and struggling to get out of it?
Cat Herder 08:37 AM 02-21-2012
It is confinement equipment, so against regs here.

I have never used one, though. They were sort of a newer product to me.
DCMom 08:41 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
When I use mine I have the child in the seat on a carpeted area with no hard objects or sharp corners nearby.
Common sense.

Childminder, unfortunately two children were seriously injured while using this product. We don't know all the circumstances surrounding those injuries, I personally am a skeptic. The vast number of injuries occur when the product is not used properly.

I've got two Bumbo chairs; I've had them for years and many children have learned to sit up in them. I use them with the tray accessory, on the floor. If the child is twisting and arching to get out of the seat, they probably don't want to be in it and should be taken out. Again, common sense when using a product.
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I love my Bumbo chairs.

You can't legislate/redesign/recall/make safer a product that people don't use correctly. Stories like this just irritate me.

But thanks for the info Blackcat
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Honestly, I have had one for years. It works well and it is safe WHEN USED PROPERLY!

No one should EVER put a child on an elevated surface. Ever. You know that you can't leave a child on a changing table, so why do these parents and caregivers put a seat on a table? It is not a flaw of the product -- it is user error. No carseats, booster seats, bouncy seats, swings, etc on elevated surfaces. That is common sense.

I thought the same thing about using it correctly. Heck, they consider banning anything some dummy used improperly and I too find that rediculous however... I feel like wdmmom:
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Wow! I've never had one but was considering buying one! Not anymore! I don't need that kind of liability staring me in the face everyday!
I just don't want the liability. Period. I have disposed of every baby/infant piece of equipment I had in the last 12-18 months due to more education on their purpose, the lack of benefits for the child and most of all because of the liability brought on by some of these products in general.

Now, the ONLY "equipment" I use for babies is a crib, the floor and my arms. I can handle the liability that comes with those.
DCMom 08:52 AM 02-21-2012
Agree with you for the most part Blackcat.

I don't use swings, infant seats, walkers, jumpers, etc. For the most part, I use a high chair and crib. But there are times (like morning meeting/circle/story time) when I need a place to 'put' a baby when my arms are being used for something else but I would like them to participate in the activity.

That's where the Bumbo or Exersaucer come in handy. Not dangerous if used properly and for short amounts of time.

Soon we will be bubble wrapping kids from birth to 5.... KIDDING!!
sharlan 08:56 AM 02-21-2012
I used one for the last 3 babies I had with no problems. I think that they're great for a few minutes of monitored time.

As someone else said, we'll be bubble wrapping kids before long.
Blackcat31 08:57 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Agree with you for the most part Blackcat.

I don't use swings, infant seats, walkers, jumpers, etc. For the most part, I use a high chair and crib. But there are times (like morning meeting/circle/story time) when I need a place to 'put' a baby when my arms are being used for something else but I would like them to participate in the activity.

That's where the Bumbo or Exersaucer come in handy. Not dangerous if used properly and for short amounts of time.

Soon we will be bubble wrapping kids from birth to 5.... KIDDING!!
Oh no! Bubblewrap is dangerous.
I know it is fun but we cannot possibly allow kids to have fun now can we....
Childminder 09:15 AM 02-21-2012
Unfortunately common sense is being bred out of people generationally. Agreed that without specifics on each accident we really do not know how the injuries occurred and it is not up to us to judge the situation except by how it might effect us. I choose to err on the side of caution and NOT use one.
Lilbutterflie 09:15 AM 02-21-2012
I wonder if most of the injuries are from the baby falling forward or from the seat tipping backward. My money is on the fact that it's from it tipping backward.

I have used this in the past, but have discontinued use once the baby is tall enough/has enough muscle control to use their feet to push off of the surface. I have had babies push down on their feet and tilt the bumbo back; which I cannot imagine is safe at all. Which is why I have discontinued using it once it gets to that.

But reading the article makes me not want to use it at all. I think I will get rid of it. Don't want that liability either!
SunshineMama 10:24 AM 02-21-2012
Bumbos are awesome if used properly: on the floor AND supervised.

Who are these parents who are putting their child in them on a table or counter top and then leaving them unattended? I get so frustrated when I hear stories like this because people are so quick to sue, and do not want any accountability for their actions.
Blackcat31 10:33 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Bumbos are awesome if used properly: on the floor AND supervised.

Who are these parents who are putting their child in them on a table or counter top and then leaving them unattended? I get so frustrated when I hear stories like this because people are so quick to sue, and do not want any accountability for their actions.
The article is in reference to injuries that occur when the product was being used properly.

"In a complaint on CPSC's SaferProducts.gov database, the mother of a baby who fell out of his seat when used on the floor said she was right next to him at the time"
Crazy8 10:36 AM 02-21-2012
I love my bumbo too - it is so much fun for babies to join in circle time and activities in that instead of on my lap - just so they can see me, etc. They love it!! I agree with the common sense/use correctly posts.

And I have to say if I was dumb enough to put my child in it on the counter/table or even a kitchen chair and they fell out and were injured and I decided to sue I sure as heck wouldn't admit to using it the way they tell you NOT to, so I'm a little skeptical about those injuries that occurred "while child was on the floor".
sharlan 10:54 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The article is in reference to injuries that occur when the product was being used properly.

"In a complaint on CPSC's SaferProducts.gov database, the mother of a baby who fell out of his seat when used on the floor said she was right next to him at the time"
Do you believe everything a mother says? I sure don't. A gf's 7 mo granddaughter broke her leg when rolling out of a bouncy seat. The mother was right there. Just didn't add up to me. When all the facts came out, the bouncy seat was set on a cedar chest and the mother was in the bathroom, for just a minute.

Anything used improperly is dangerous.
saved4always 11:14 AM 02-21-2012
One of my families brought me a bumbo chair to use for thier baby. I used it a little bit. I always felt like I was going to hurt dcb's legs though, when I put him in it. Not a reality at all, just in my imagination. Then the older kids kept sitting in it if I forgot to put it up...easy to do when you are picking up the baby because he is not happy. I was afraid they were going to stretch it out or something. Probably something else that was my imagination. So, I just gave it back.
countrymom 11:20 AM 02-21-2012
why are children who can't support themselves sitting in these chairs. And if you need a try whats the reasoning. Why can't you use a highchair. I have never liked them, will never buy them. Its another peice of equipment that is not neccessary for a childs developement
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Do you believe everything a mother says? I sure don't. A gf's 7 mo granddaughter broke her leg when rolling out of a bouncy seat. The mother was right there. Just didn't add up to me. When all the facts came out, the bouncy seat was set on a cedar chest and the mother was in the bathroom, for just a minute.

Anything used improperly is dangerous.
I am not arguing the validity of the mother's claim or of the product's safety. I personally don't use them so it doesn't apply to me.

I was only posting that statement because the PP said the chairs are safe if used properly with supervision and then made a comment about parents using them on tables and countertops when the point of this article was injuries WITH proper supervision and safe usage.

I really have no comments or thoughts about this article.

Just thought I would share in case others do or are planning on using a Bumbo chair.

I also completely agree with you that anything used improperly is dangerous. :-)
jojosmommy 11:55 AM 02-21-2012
I use them and will continue to do so. IN THE APPROPRIATE MANNER AND SUPERVISED. I don't believe anyone who claims their child got injuried while using one the right way- on the floor and while being supervised. Parents will say anything to sue and pass the blame onto others. Unfortunately you don't have to be intelligent to have a child.
JenNJ 01:03 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
why are children who can't support themselves sitting in these chairs. And if you need a try whats the reasoning. Why can't you use a highchair. I have never liked them, will never buy them. Its another peice of equipment that is not neccessary for a childs developement
I use these when I am doing circle time with the older kids. This way the little ones can sit with us on the floor and join in the activities.

I don't cart the highchair all around the house. I only have kids in them who are actively eating. I don't like children sitting so far from the ground. A fall from a high chair can easily break a kids neck and fracture a skull. Bumbo seats are softer and support the child's torso. Bumbo and the like sit the kids in a position where the hips are at a proper angle.
AfterSchoolMom 01:03 PM 02-21-2012
I have one, I've used it (properly) with several babies and have never had any issues or even near issues. I love it, and the babies do too.
Tags:bumbo chair, confinement
Reply Up