Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do They Always Call Them Daycare Providers?
Heidi 06:39 AM 03-11-2014
http://www.news8000.com/news/wis-day...-baby/24913996

Here is what I posted when I shared this on FB. I wonder if I will educate even one parent about illegal providers?

This woman is not regulated, and presumably has no early childhood training. I would bet money, once this is investigated, that she has umpteen number of kids in her care illegally and no training in how to deal with a group of children.

Sorry, but I get a little bent out shape when the newspaper calls someone who does this a "daycare provider". 95% if these cases are always illegal providers. It's very frustrating for those of us who work so hard to follow the 750 + licensing regs. and subject ourselves to spot inspections regularly.

melilley 08:04 AM 03-11-2014
That bothers me too.

Recently, someone on CL has been posting info on how it's illegal to have a daycare in your home without a license. It gives so much info and tells parents where to look for legal providers and also a website to go to. I think it's awesome!

I honestly think that a lot of parents don't know the laws for childcare providers. I'm not saying non-licensed providers are in the wrong, it's the illegal providers (I know some states allow providers to care for a certain number of children w/o a registration or license).
Play Care 08:19 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
http://www.news8000.com/news/wis-day...-baby/24913996

Here is what I posted when I shared this on FB. I wonder if I will educate even one parent about illegal providers?

This woman is not regulated, and presumably has no early childhood training. I would bet money, once this is investigated, that she has umpteen number of kids in her care illegally and no training in how to deal with a group of children.

Sorry, but I get a little bent out shape when the newspaper calls someone who does this a "daycare provider". 95% if these cases are always illegal providers. It's very frustrating for those of us who work so hard to follow the 750 + licensing regs. and subject ourselves to spot inspections regularly.
This is one of my pet peeves. A Day Care, IMHO, is a place that is licensed and regulated to care for children. If they are not, it's not a Day Care. It's like a tax guy calling himself a CPA even if he hasn't passed the test necessary to be one. He may offer similar services, but he is not a CPA...
Blackcat31 09:02 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This is one of my pet peeves. A Day Care, IMHO, is a place that is licensed and regulated to care for children. If they are not, it's not a Day Care. It's like a tax guy calling himself a CPA even if he hasn't passed the test necessary to be one. He may offer similar services, but he is not a CPA...
(NOT singling you out personally.... your comment just made me think)

.....but in this same line of thinking, how come so many providers then want to be called a teacher when they haven't taken any tests saying they are....
Christina72684 09:16 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

.....but in this same line of thinking, how come so many providers then want to be called a teacher when they haven't taken any tests saying they are....

I like being called a provider better than a teacher because I don't only teach the children, I also provide them love and nurture them, as well as change their diapers and wipe their snot lol
Play Care 09:17 AM 03-11-2014

Hehe, I am with you on that! A family member referred to me as a teacher and I said "I am a licensed day care provider, thankyouverymuch"

That said, I somewhat mis-typed, because I meant to say if a tax professional was arrested the media would not refer to them as a CPA (unless of course he was one.)
racemom 09:19 AM 03-11-2014

I feel the same way about being called a teacher but our state requires us to be called teachers if we meet state training requirements. That way they can regulate who is in the rooms. You have to have their training requirements to be a non certified teacher and then you can be with children alone.
SilverSabre25 09:20 AM 03-11-2014
I'm legally unlicensed. Am I a daycare provider?
Blackcat31 09:20 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:

I like being called a provider better than a teacher because I don't only teach the children, I also provide them love and nurture them, as well as change their diapers and wipe their snot lol
Yes! We do soooo much more than simply teach.

Although provider sounds better than "professional diaper changer" or "professional snot sucker"

Hehe, I am with you on that! A family member referred to me as a teacher and I said "I am a licensed day care provider, thankyouverymuch"

That said, I somewhat mis-typed, because I meant to say if a tax professional was arrested the media would not refer to them as a CPA (unless of course he was one.)
I do have the license to teach but HATE being called one because too many parents get it in their heads then that I am responsible for making sure Little Jimmy is proficient in algebra before sending him off to Kindy...

My kids are fully prepared for Kindy...just not always the way parents eem to think they should be.
mountainside13 09:49 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Me too! I am legally unlicensed currently. I follow all the rules not because I have to but because I want to! I still feel as thou I am a daycare provider.

I do agree on illegal "daycare operators"
Play Care 10:19 AM 03-11-2014
Donning my flame proof suit

I believe the term "Day Care Provider" should be used to designate those people/programs that meet state licensing requirements. I have to deal with pop in visits/inspections, take so many hours of continuing education, modify my home to deal with ever increasing regulations, etc.

For me, it is simply a naming issue and has NOTHING to do with quality of care (as we all know some excellent babysitters and some really crappy licensed care givers) I also do not believe that day care providers should be calling themselves "teachers" unless they hold current certification to do so and are actually spending time teaching.

FWIW, if I could be legally unlicensed in my state and care for more than two children at a time, I would happily call myself a babysitter.
butterfly 10:21 AM 03-11-2014
I may get flamed, but I do agree that she is a "daycare provider". She isn't any good at it, apparently, but she is providing care...

But I'm also in the boat of providers who don't really care if I'm called a "babysitter" either.

Tomato, Tamato...
Heidi 10:22 AM 03-11-2014
Yes! Sorry, I did not mean to offend you.

I guess I would just like them to say something like "There is no record of Ms. So-and-so being regulated by the state". It's just that the papers NEVER point that out. The provider could literally have 15 or 18 kids there illegally, and it is never, ever brought up.
SilverSabre25 10:41 AM 03-11-2014
Yes! Sorry, I did not mean to offend you.

I guess I would just like them to say something like "There is no record of Ms. So-and-so being regulated by the state". It's just that the papers NEVER point that out. The provider could literally have 15 or 18 kids there illegally, and it is never, ever brought up.
Yes, but I'll give you 100:1 odds that the journalists neither know, nor care, about the details or the ins and outs of our business. We don't know theirs, after all. Furthermore, i bet that 99% of their readers neither know, nor care, the details of the daycare world.

If "we" (in general) are going to fight for the respect to be called daycare providers rather than babysitters, than the term is going to be misapplied.

And I wasn't offended I like to play devil's advocate.
SilverSabre25 10:43 AM 03-11-2014
Donning my flame proof suit

I believe the term "Day Care Provider" should be used to designate those people/programs that meet state licensing requirements. I have to deal with pop in visits/inspections, take so many hours of continuing education, modify my home to deal with ever increasing regulations, etc.

For me, it is simply a naming issue and has NOTHING to do with quality of care (as we all know some excellent babysitters and some really crappy licensed care givers) I also do not believe that day care providers should be calling themselves "teachers" unless they hold current certification to do so and are actually spending time teaching.

FWIW, if I could be legally unlicensed in my state and care for more than two children at a time, I would happily call myself a babysitter.
I *do* meet state licensing requirements though. I can care for up to six children, no more than 3 under age 2, and my own kids count until I am six. I can do this without a license. That *is* meeting state requirements.

I go above and beyond of course, but I *do* meet those minimum requirements.
Heidi 10:44 AM 03-11-2014
Yes, but I'll give you 100:1 odds that the journalists neither know, nor care, about the details or the ins and outs of our business. We don't know theirs, after all. Furthermore, i bet that 99% of their readers neither know, nor care, the details of the daycare world.

If "we" (in general) are going to fight for the respect to be called daycare providers rather than babysitters, than the term is going to be misapplied.

And I wasn't offended I like to play devil's advocate.
True...but we don't need to know about their job. If they are writing a story about ours, they should have at least some basic facts.

Of course, I've never, ever read a headline like "local daycare provider gets a new swingset". It's only the bad stories, anyway.
Play Care 10:49 AM 03-11-2014
I *do* meet state licensing requirements though. I can care for up to six children, no more than 3 under age 2, and my own kids count until I am six. I can do this without a license. That *is* meeting state requirements.

I should have been more clear - I mean actually holding a license, not just meeting the requirements.
Admittedly it could just be my own issue. I find I'm getting crabby in my old age.
SilverSabre25 11:01 AM 03-11-2014
I should have been more clear - I mean actually holding a license, not just meeting the requirements.
Admittedly it could just be my own issue. I find I'm getting crabby in my old age.
YOU try getting licensed in OH. It's a thing pretty much no one does. It takes about three transfers to even find someone who knows what you're talking about if you call the Dept of Job and Family Services.

I hold all the license I legally need to. And I have more education than many of the other people running daycares around here. Am I really less qualified to be a daycare provider, because I haven't taken Child Development 101 and I don't have a first aid kit on every floor of the house and I don't follow all 31 steps for a diaper change? Do my Bachelor's Degree in Child Development, my 6.5 years of parenting, and my 4 years of daycare experience count LESS than someone who barely knows what they're doing but have a piece of paper saying they are "licensed" to do daycare?

I just fail to see what it even matters in the grand scheme of things.
Play Care 11:22 AM 03-11-2014
YOU try getting licensed in OH. It's a thing pretty much no one does. It takes about three transfers to even find someone who knows what you're talking about if you call the Dept of Job and Family Services.

I hold all the license I legally need to. And I have more education than many of the other people running daycares around here. Am I really less qualified to be a daycare provider, because I haven't taken Child Development 101 and I don't have a first aid kit on every floor of the house and I don't follow all 31 steps for a diaper change? Do my Bachelor's Degree in Child Development, my 6.5 years of parenting, and my 4 years of daycare experience count LESS than someone who barely knows what they're doing but have a piece of paper saying they are "licensed" to do daycare?

I just fail to see what it even matters in the grand scheme of things.
I don't have to - I'm licensed in MY state.
As I said in my OP, for me it's a name issue. If I have to jump though multiple hoops, which include surprise visits and inspections, and now, even being told what I can do on my "break," then I want it known that I'm not just "babysitting." I WISH I were, because it would be so much easier.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:23 AM 03-11-2014
Yes Silver because you are in Ohio, right? They will only license you now if you have state funded children in your care. I honestly believe that Ohio needs to establish a childcare registry that registers unlicensed homes and requires the basics to keep kids- CPR/ First Aid training, fingerprinting on all adults in the home, basic 6 hour course. I feel like their is a huge gap in care that is not being addressed between licensed and non-licensed.

oh and I am licensed in Ohio. To me it is worth the licensing. I feel like that is what covers my butt. I follow licensing, they inspect me etc. I do personally think that jumping through all of the hoops does make me a better provider. I know I would slack on some things if I didn't think, the state could be pulling into my driveway.
SilverSabre25 11:35 AM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Yes Silver because you are in Ohio, right? They will only license you now if you have state funded children in your care. I honestly believe that Ohio needs to establish a childcare registry that registers unlicensed homes and requires the basics to keep kids- CPR/ First Aid training, fingerprinting on all adults in the home, basic 6 hour course. I feel like their is a huge gap in care that is not being addressed between licensed and non-licensed.
I heard that they are working on tightening up the regulations. They are completely silent on the timeline though.

Here in franklin county, no one cares. One of the other central OH providers on here actually tried to call and "file a report" once and no one even knew who she should talk to. She completely failed. There is NO oversight and no one cares about illegal providers and stuff. And yeah, I agree with you--it's TOO lax.

of course I"m also really grouchy that I have to take Child Development 101 in order to get licensed....I think my Bachelor's Degree ought to serve in it's stead but alas, it does not....
Blackcat31 11:45 AM 03-11-2014
OMG!

So what happens if you have state funded kids, enroll a couple more and then the family on assistance either stops using it or leaves your care....

Does that take AWAY your license then? or force you to have to term a couple of the others to make you legally unlicensed then?

To directly tie the license to whether or not you have state assisted kids is wrong on so many levels.
Heidi 11:50 AM 03-11-2014
I heard that they are working on tightening up the regulations. They are completely silent on the timeline though.

Here in franklin county, no one cares. One of the other central OH providers on here actually tried to call and "file a report" once and no one even knew who she should talk to. She completely failed. There is NO oversight and no one cares about illegal providers and stuff. And yeah, I agree with you--it's TOO lax.

of course I"m also really grouchy that I have to take Child Development 101 in order to get licensed....I think my Bachelor's Degree ought to serve in it's stead but alas, it does not....
WI will easily accept your formal education in lieu of the licensing class. The class is only mandatory if you don't have other ECE credits.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:50 AM 03-11-2014
OMG!

So what happens if you have state funded kids, enroll a couple more and then the family on assistance either stops using it or leaves your care....

Does that take AWAY your license then? or force you to have to term a couple of the others to make you legally unlicensed then?

To directly tie the license to whether or not you have state assisted kids is wrong on so many levels.
This is what pissed me off when the state took over in January. Yes, if you do not have state assisted kids in care they "can" pull your license. (6 mo to find another)
So in other words in Ohio, only if your kid is state funded do you deserve to have a licensed provider. Pissed me off!! I was told that our only function is to take state supported kids. Not to provide all children with regulated care.
Heidi 11:52 AM 03-11-2014
This is what pissed me off when the state took over in January. Yes, if you do not have state assisted kids in care they "can" pull your license. (6 mo to find another)
So in other words in Ohio, only if your kid is state funded do you deserve to have a licensed provider. Pissed me off!! I was told that our only function is to take state supported kids. Not to provide all children with regulated care.
wow...just wow!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:52 AM 03-11-2014

As idiotic as the 6 hour class is at times, I do believe it is good in that it ensures that the obvious is stated and hopefully it is a basic rundown of do's and don'ts that should be followed so everyone has that "same page" basic care.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:54 AM 03-11-2014
When I first started 17 years ago there were 60 licensed providers in my county, now there are I believe 14 of us.
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 03-11-2014
When I first started 17 years ago there were 60 licensed providers in my county, now there are I believe 14 of us.
Well, atleast the families using assistance will have no trouble finding care.

I am speechless that you guys have that rule...

...and there is VERY little that actually renders me silent.
Heidi 12:02 PM 03-11-2014
Well, atleast the families using assistance will have no trouble finding care.

I am speechless that you guys have that rule...

...and there is VERY little that actually renders me silent.
me too!

Hey, on the other hand, they are saving their state a boatload of money. I wonder if they go after the illegal (over capacity; so not legally unlicensed) at all?

I would prefer WI relax their rules and actually enforce them instead of creating more and more and more of them, and enforcing so little.
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 03-11-2014
I just think it is morally and ethically wrong to single out ANYONE on assistance and give alternate rules for them....yet no one can treat them differently....kwim?

WE can't discriminate but the state can???
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:07 PM 03-11-2014
me too!

Hey, on the other hand, they are saving their state a boatload of money. I wonder if they go after the illegal (over capacity; so not legally unlicensed) at all?

I would prefer WI relax their rules and actually enforce them instead of creating more and more and more of them, and enforcing so little.
See that is what gets me. I feel like all of the rules are upon those of us that volunteer to be licensed and they always tote that they are "making childcare safer in ohio" but don't have ANY regulations for unlicensed except that they can have 6 with 3 under 2. That is it. I just feel like there is a glaring gap of care.
Now I am talking about type B providers. There are also type A but very few people do that. And then centers are licensed.
Heidi 12:09 PM 03-11-2014
I just think it is morally and ethically wrong to single out ANYONE on assistance and give alternate rules for them....yet no one can treat them differently....kwim?

WE can't discriminate but the state can???
yeah...I can understand the "we only spend our state money on regulated care" part. I can't understand the "we only regulate if you HAVE state funded kids" part. I can even see that one would have to be WILLING to accept state funding...as long as your full rate is paid, but it doesn't make sense to lose your license because you lost a daycare family.
SilverSabre25 12:18 PM 03-11-2014
I wonder if that is partly county based. I wasn't told anything of the sort when i was asking a couple years ago. In fact i said specifically that I did NOT want to take Title XX, and they didn't seem to care. I *couldd* get registered with Action for children to get some of the same benefits of licensure, and yet still be under similar/the same rules. It's all very complicatd. And kind of dumb.

I know that in Franklin you can't get a Type A license. Some counties do issue them but I don't know where.
Play Care 12:18 PM 03-11-2014

oh and I am licensed in Ohio. To me it is worth the licensing. I feel like that is what covers my butt. I follow licensing, they inspect me etc. I do personally think that jumping through all of the hoops does make me a better provider. I know I would slack on some things if I didn't think, the state could be pulling into my driveway.
If you CAN'T get licensed then that's something else entirely. In my state it is easy to be licensed. In fact, we can only have TWO kids total if we are not, and there may even be some hour limits (or that may be in the works) but we have a LOT of illegal providers calling themselves "day cares" so I am touchy about it.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:25 PM 03-11-2014
I wonder if that is partly county based. I wasn't told anything of the sort when i was asking a couple years ago. In fact i said specifically that I did NOT want to take Title XX, and they didn't seem to care. I *couldd* get registered with Action for children to get some of the same benefits of licensure, and yet still be under similar/the same rules. It's all very complicatd. And kind of dumb.

I know that in Franklin you can't get a Type A license. Some counties do issue them but I don't know where.
The state took over in January, supposedly to make all of the counties follow the same structure and regulations.
NeedaVaca 12:26 PM 03-11-2014
If you CAN'T get licensed then that's something else entirely. In my state it is easy to be licensed. In fact, we can only have TWO kids total if we are not, and there may even be some hour limits (or that may be in the works) but we have a LOT of illegal providers calling themselves "day cares" so I am touchy about it.
Well in my state I can be legally unlicensed and I definitely own and operate a Daycare I am a Daycare Provider
momofboys 12:33 PM 03-11-2014

I am in Madison County just west of our fair capital & when I had someone from my county come out (this was a few years back) to see if I was interested in becoming licensed or registered nothing was mentioned about having to take title XX, in fact I recall her telling me it was my option & that I didn't need to. Of course that was in 2011 so things may have changed since then. In my county there are not very many licensed providers but TONS of providers.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:38 PM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I am in Madison County just west of our fair capital & when I had someone from my county come out (this was a few years back) to see if I was interested in becoming licensed or registered nothing was mentioned about having to take title XX, in fact I recall her telling me it was my option & that I didn't need to. Of course that was in 2011 so things may have changed since then. In my county there are not very many licensed providers but TONS of providers.
Yup, that changed January of this year. I have gone years without a funded kidlet but now will have to keep one I want the food program and training and the title of licensed.
spud912 02:08 PM 03-11-2014
In regards to the original post, I don't care about titles (babysitter, daycare provider, child care provider, nanny, etc.). As long as you as a person are happy with what you do, who cares what you are called as long as it is not derogatory (and I mean derogatory in a non-politically correct way). It's the same as "sanitation worker vs garbage man." Who cares? There are good people with our same title and bad people!

The fact of the matter here is that there are no credentials you have to earn to become a "daycare provider." Teacher: you need credentials; doctor: credentials; nurse: credentials and so on and so on. If there are no credentials required, than in my mind anyone can call themselves a daycare provider if they want to. It doesn't guarantee anything. It is what it is.

I myself am legally unlicensed. If I were asked what my profession was, I would say "child care provider." I say that because by definition that is what I am. Nobody can say to me "I don't think you are because you haven't jumped through rings of fire and climbed Mount Everest" and to them I can say "there is nothing saying I have to do anything to become a child care provider and by definition that is what I am. I provide care to children....simple as that."

Now totally a different subject IMO, similar to Silver Sabre, I follow the requirements by my state to be legally unlicensed. I follow the correct ratios, I have obtained a business license, I was inspected by the fire department and I file taxes. Initially I was planning on becoming licensed (before I knew what it entailed) and I brought my home up to daycare licensing code, I obtained the proper amount of child care schooling (in addition to my Bachelor's degree), I obtained child care insurance, obtained the fingerprint clearance card, CPR certification, etc. Then I found out during a licensing class that in my particular suburb, they are no longer issuing licenses unless I have state paid clients. So there goes that idea.....

Either way, the fact that I am legally unlicensed does not make me any less of a child care provider than those who have a license. Some of them may be doing a better job at this profession than me and some may be doing remarkably worse. We are all still the same....a daycare/child care provider.
melilley 06:16 PM 03-11-2014

Some of my dcp's and dck's call my house school. I think it's kind of odd, cute, but odd since I'm nothing even close to a school...lol
wonderfullisa 06:24 PM 03-11-2014
Is the Child Dev 101 a new rule? I was just certified last summer (now licensed in Jan) and did not have to take this.
Also, even in June I was told that the purpose of certification was to care for state assisted families. I dont think it has ever been strongly enforced.
Cradle2crayons 06:44 PM 03-11-2014

Same here... I have. Bachelors but not in ECE.. Mine is in nursing with a Specialty in pediatrics. Personally I don't think I'm any less qualified to take care of kids just because I don't have an ECE Degree... Even though I took hours and hours of pediatric based classes...

I'm legally unlicensed... However I still consider myself a daycare. No I don't get inspections even though I take state pay children.

Personally, I don't get really hung up if someone calls me a babysitter or anything else as long as it's said with respect.

I enjoy being unlicensed and won't have it any other way. I do have some rules I follow because I take state pay children though.

I don't think just because someone isn't licensed but instead is legally unlicensed that should take away from the fact they are a daycare provider.

I do have some issues with those operating illegally though. Don't get me started.
TaylorTots 07:06 PM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
Me too! I am legally unlicensed currently. I follow all the rules not because I have to but because I want to! I still feel as thou I am a daycare provider.

I do agree on illegal "daycare operators"
I agree too. As a fellow Iowan, I am legally non-registered. I follow all the rules and regs. And I cringe hearing about other providers in my area running illegal businesses in their homes with 9+ children and no registration at all. Mostly it kills me because its' parents that I know that complain to me "we have no other option - we need preschool transportation."

Uhm, you put your child in a home with way to many children and someone not following any rules (or insurance?) - and let them transport them in their vehicle to get to a preschool program? Goodness. Priorities people.

Also I am a teacher, passed my tests and my teaching license is current. So I am a "daycare teacher" according to my DCPs *lol*
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:39 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by Lisa's Little Lambs:
Is the Child Dev 101 a new rule? I was just certified last summer (now licensed in Jan) and did not have to take this.
Also, even in June I was told that the purpose of certification was to care for state assisted families. I dont think it has ever been strongly enforced.
You (and your back up) had to have the 6 hr course offered by your county, right? Everyone has to have that. My dd will have her teaching license (certified infant through 4th grade) and still has to take it to be my back up.
When I went to the state wide meeting in November it sounded like they are going to start enforcing this rule. (must have state paid)
Tags:babysitter, child care provider, daycare provider, illegal daycare, ohio, ohio standards
Reply Up