Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Camera Surveillance System
MommyMuffin 01:38 PM 09-09-2011
I have been thinking about getting one because I cannot see my front yard from my main living areas and dc areas. Also, I want to be able to see the babies when they are sleeping.

But...its just so spendy. If you have a security camera how do you like it? Is it something you would recommend as a necessity? Or something you feel you wasted money on?
Reply
mismatchedsocks 01:42 PM 09-09-2011
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Uniden-Wir...meras/14235514

I bought this one. I have one on my front porch and one in nap room. It has opening for 2 additional cameras, so I am thinking one day I will get one for back yard.
I dont feel its a waste of money. I can bring the moniter anywhere with me, and i can see who is coming and going before they get to the door, without getting up off floor when hearing a car door.
And during nap time I can check on the kids from my rocking chair, and go to bathroom for more then 10 seconds.


Reply
Blackcat31 03:14 PM 09-09-2011
http://www.harborfreight.com/weather...ion-95914.html

I have this one. $35 . It has sound and color and I LOVE it! I can see AND hear everything that goes on outside. I have one for my front yard and one for my back yard. The sound and picture clarity are great!


Reply
sharlan 03:32 PM 09-09-2011
I need one that records at night. Any suggestions?

We have so much petty stuff that happens out front at night.
Reply
Blackcat31 03:38 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I need one that records at night. Any suggestions?

We have so much petty stuff that happens out front at night.
The one I posted says it has great "night vision" It needs to be hooked up to a DVR or a VCR for that but is possible. I only use it in real time and not as a recording device so I don't havemuch experience with that end of it.
Reply
Michael 04:33 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Uniden-Wir...meras/14235514

I bought this one. I have one on my front porch and one in nap room. It has opening for 2 additional cameras, so I am thinking one day I will get one for back yard.
I dont feel its a waste of money. I can bring the moniter anywhere with me, and i can see who is coming and going before they get to the door, without getting up off floor when hearing a car door.
And during nap time I can check on the kids from my rocking chair, and go to bathroom for more then 10 seconds.

That is the one that wdmmom raved about. Although your Walmart price is $100 less then wdmmom's Home Depot price. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32711
Reply
countrymom 07:27 AM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
http://www.harborfreight.com/weather...ion-95914.html

I have this one. $35 . It has sound and color and I LOVE it! I can see AND hear everything that goes on outside. I have one for my front yard and one for my back yard. The sound and picture clarity are great!


dh loves that store hmm I guess I will have to go into that store and buy it.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:15 AM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
dh loves that store hmm I guess I will have to go into that store and buy it.
I agree! Great store! Our Harbor Feight is right next door to TJ Maxx so while I shop, DH does too!! He LOVES Harbor Feight and I love TJ Maxx so it is win-win!

I got my laminator there also and I think it was under $20 and the lamination sheets are under $10. Good laminator too!!

We also bought our driveway alarm there for really cheap too.

We buy alot of that type of stuff there. My DH buys a few tools but he says "No, tools that could kill you during use. Saving money on a cheap tool in that situation is just dumb!" LOL!!
Reply
Candyland 09:28 PM 09-11-2011
I think having one is a big plus when parents are looking for a day care home. It shows that you're doing more to keep your home safe. But, don't use it as a "babysitter" and beware of that parent who will question your reasons for having one...like are you using it in place of watching my child while you do your own thing inside? Just a thought.
Reply
wdmmom 06:48 AM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
That is the one that wdmmom raved about. Although your Walmart price is $100 less then wdmmom's Home Depot price. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32711
No, this isn't the exact one that I got.

This is the one I have.



The one I have has 3 cameras with an additional camera. 2 are stationary mount. The other is small enough to fit in your pocket, it is rechargable and can be moved from place to place.

I also didn't buy at Home Depot. I found the exact same product at Home Depot but I purchased mine at Sam's Club for $70 less!!!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...Id=prod1630022

So, $247.53 for the Walmart one with 2 cameras or for an additional $12.31, get an additional, rechargeable, moveable camera.
Reply
countrymom 06:58 AM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree! Great store! Our Harbor Feight is right next door to TJ Maxx so while I shop, DH does too!! He LOVES Harbor Feight and I love TJ Maxx so it is win-win!

I got my laminator there also and I think it was under $20 and the lamination sheets are under $10. Good laminator too!!

We also bought our driveway alarm there for really cheap too.

We buy alot of that type of stuff there. My DH buys a few tools but he says "No, tools that could kill you during use. Saving money on a cheap tool in that situation is just dumb!" LOL!!

omg, I bought my laminator there too, its the best, and one time we went to gibraltor and they had boxes of laminating sheets for like 5 dollars a box and I bought 3 boxes, should have bought more as I'm down to a couple of sheets, but it lasted a long time. I have the drive way alarm too, its the white one where you plug the unit in your house and the other is outside, I think they were like 5 dollars. We put it around the pool (due to neighbours not the kids) and dh put on in the back where his shed is because he found someone has been climbing the 8 foot fence. Do you go to menards, I need to go get a door, luckily theres no duty on building supplies only tax but its still way cheaper, dh needs to figure out how he's going to bring the door home (oh and the windows too)
Reply
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
omg, I bought my laminator there too, its the best, and one time we went to gibraltor and they had boxes of laminating sheets for like 5 dollars a box and I bought 3 boxes, should have bought more as I'm down to a couple of sheets, but it lasted a long time. I have the drive way alarm too, its the white one where you plug the unit in your house and the other is outside, I think they were like 5 dollars. We put it around the pool (due to neighbours not the kids) and dh put on in the back where his shed is because he found someone has been climbing the 8 foot fence. Do you go to menards, I need to go get a door, luckily theres no duty on building supplies only tax but its still way cheaper, dh needs to figure out how he's going to bring the door home (oh and the windows too)
We go to Menards ALL the time!! We actually have a Lowe's and a Home Depot in the same town/vicinity of where we live but we travel almost 80 miles away just to go to MEnards because my DH swears that it is so much better and they stand behind their products so much more.

Ha, that is funny that you need a door because that is exactly why we went to Menard's just this last Saturday. We bought a new patio door. The only hard part was the door needs to be transported upright and NOT lying down. What a complicated process! Glad my DH knows how to deal with this kind of thing because the cost for delivery to our house was almost half the cost of the door itself!
Reply
Michelle 09:50 AM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
http://www.harborfreight.com/weather...ion-95914.html

I have this one. $35 . It has sound and color and I LOVE it! I can see AND hear everything that goes on outside. I have one for my front yard and one for my back yard. The sound and picture clarity are great!

I love this one because it doesn't look like a prison camera
how long is the cord?
Reply
Blackcat31 10:03 AM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I love this one because it doesn't look like a prison camera
how long is the cord?
DH says it came with 50 Ft of cord.
Reply
MommyMuffin 10:07 AM 09-12-2011
Well, I decided that I will be getting one for sure. Just have to check them all out.
On friday I was in the kitchen with the kids and we were laughing and playing and being really loud. Then out of nowhere a dcp walks into my kitchen saying that she knocked and it was so loud so she just came into my foyer and up the stairs and opened the gate and went through the living room to my kitchen.

I'm upset at myself for not locking the door but also I dont understand why she feels this is acceptable behavior. This is my home.

I will be locking the doors and putting up cameras. ASAP
Reply
Michelle 10:28 AM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Well, I decided that I will be getting one for sure. Just have to check them all out.
On friday I was in the kitchen with the kids and we were laughing and playing and being really loud. Then out of nowhere a dcp walks into my kitchen saying that she knocked and it was so loud so she just came into my foyer and up the stairs and opened the gate and went through the living room to my kitchen.

I'm upset at myself for not locking the door but also I dont understand why she feels this is acceptable behavior. This is my home.

I will be locking the doors and putting up cameras. ASAP
wow!, while that was good that she saw you having a good time with the kids and she can rest assured they kids are safe, that could have been anybody!!!
Definitely get a camera and maybe check into the computer locks people were talking about. I'm on my way to harbor freight right now to get mine!
I have a cat that scratches and bangs at the door and I keep running to open it thinking it's a parent but it's the cat, so then when I ignore it, it turns out to be a parent!!!
They laugh about it but I definitely need a camera.
Reply
Blackcat31 10:51 AM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
wow!, while that was good that she saw you having a good time with the kids and she can rest assured they kids are safe, that could have been anybody!!!
Definitely get a camera and maybe check into the computer locks people were talking about. I'm on my way to harbor freight right now to get mine!
I have a cat that scratches and bangs at the door and I keep running to open it thinking it's a parent but it's the cat, so then when I ignore it, it turns out to be a parent!!!
They laugh about it but I definitely need a camera.
LOL!! We have the driveway alarm and I swear my dog walks back and forth in front of it multiple times per day just to say "Hey, I am out here...." Drives me crazy and then during the late evening hours, when he does it, I about jump out of my skin wondering who is at my house so late. It is just the dog.

We live 1/2 mile back from a deadend road literally in the woods so it is scary enough without having a dog who seems to want constant attention!
Reply
Michelle 09:01 PM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
LOL!! We have the driveway alarm and I swear my dog walks back and forth in front of it multiple times per day just to say "Hey, I am out here...." Drives me crazy and then during the late evening hours, when he does it, I about jump out of my skin wondering who is at my house so late. It is just the dog.

We live 1/2 mile back from a deadend road literally in the woods so it is scary enough without having a dog who seems to want constant attention!
Oh, my gosh that is so scary, I have such a vivid imagination and I think I would go nuts living in such a private area, but I imagine it's best for daycare... no neighbors complaints.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Oh, my gosh that is so scary, I have such a vivid imagination and I think I would go nuts living in such a private area, but I imagine it's best for daycare... no neighbors complaints.
No, my daycare house is in town....my house where I live is separate. I live on 40 acres a few miles from town but we decided to build pretty far back from the road because we wanted the privacy and we didn't want close neighbors. I also have a LARGE dog (St. Bernard) who I do not want kenneled or on a chain so it worked out great to be in the woods.

During the day it is really nice and secluded like our own piece of paradise but yes at night, I can get myself worked into a tizzy thinking about all the critters and things that can (and probably are) out there!! LOL!! We have black bears, deer, fox, coyote, rabbits, beavers, otters, racoons, porcupines, musrats, and neighbor dogs who all visit our yard on a regular basis.

Some how in the pitch black, even a racoon seems vicious and of course my dog is huge but he is an even bigger baby than my cat!!! When there are weird sounds at night even he hides under the garden shed!! I think he is walking in front of the drive way alarm to tell me to let him in!
Reply
MarinaVanessa 07:37 AM 09-13-2011
My MIL has my DH put in a security system that looks a lot like the cameras that Blackcat has but I'm not sure if it's the same or not. You can hook them up to their TV monitor or your own I think and the nice thing is that they have great night vision capabilities. I'll have to ask DH what brand it is and whatnot because you can use their website to review the footage which is totally awesome (you can view it from anywhere that you have a laptop or desktop with internet). It's motion sensing and even sends you notices to your phone if it's at night something trips the sensors. I doubt it's spendy because they aren't the kind to spend a lot on electronics and I doubt there's a membership or subscription fee for the alerts and video viewing either. I'll ask DH.
Reply
Mita 01:36 PM 10-26-2011
This topic couldn't have come at a better time, as just last week I had to deal with a situation with a 3 year old boy accusing my 71 yr old mother- who lives with me, has had a background check, and was a very lenient parent when I was growing up - of hitting him. Keep in mind, that spanking was unheard of in her home!

He made his claims to his mother when he got home, but when asked him about it later at daycare, he denied it ever happened. Plus, there were witnesses - my older children were home from school at the time, and nobody saw or heard anything. But it was his word against ours. It was a very ugly and upsetting situation from a family that I already had issues with anyway, from whom I had tolerated so much. Needless to say, the child is no longer in my care.

It would have helped a whole lot if I had cameras installed, that way I would have had "visual proof" to back me up. I am seriously considering setting up a camera in the play room for now at least. I toyed with the idea of using my skype account on the PC in the playroom and linking that to my laptop, just to start with. That way, I could still have visual access to the room if I had to change a diaper in the other room, or go to the kitchen to prepare a meal. But not sure about security issues with that, seeing that it would be an online set up. What do you all think?
Reply
Michael 02:08 PM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by Mita:
This topic couldn't have come at a better time, as just last week I had to deal with a situation with a 3 year old boy accusing my 71 yr old mother- who lives with me, has had a background check, and was a very lenient parent when I was growing up - of hitting him. Keep in mind, that spanking was unheard of in her home!

He made his claims to his mother when he got home, but when asked him about it later at daycare, he denied it ever happened. Plus, there were witnesses - my older children were home from school at the time, and nobody saw or heard anything. But it was his word against ours. It was a very ugly and upsetting situation from a family that I already had issues with anyway, from whom I had tolerated so much. Needless to say, the child is no longer in my care.

It would have helped a whole lot if I had cameras installed, that way I would have had "visual proof" to back me up. I am seriously considering setting up a camera in the play room for now at least. I toyed with the idea of using my skype account on the PC in the playroom and linking that to my laptop, just to start with. That way, I could still have visual access to the room if I had to change a diaper in the other room, or go to the kitchen to prepare a meal. But not sure about security issues with that, seeing that it would be an online set up. What do you all think?
My preference would be a system that keeps long periods of time (7 days) on your hard drive. Password protection is a must and it would be up to you to allow parent access. At least you would have "copy" of the day's events to look back on if need be. The downside, depending on your state laws, would be that a parent knowing that you have video records could demand recordings in libel proceedings. You would be required to produce it.

https://www.daycare.com/story/daycar...o_cameras.html
Reply
misspollywog 02:47 PM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by Mita:

It would have helped a whole lot if I had cameras installed, that way I would have had "visual proof" to back me up.
This is exactly why I use cameras.
Reply
grandmom 03:41 PM 10-26-2011
For those of you with cameras installed.

Can you record directly to a laptop?
Does the recording include sound?

Thanks.
Reply
misspollywog 03:44 PM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
For those of you with cameras installed.

Can you record directly to a laptop?
Does the recording include sound?

Thanks.
We opted for the no audio because of eavesdropping laws (not even sure they apply in Idaho but still lol). It records directly to a DVR that came with the system but also can be hooked to a computer, so yes, ours would work on a laptop. We have the Q-See brand.

I also upload the saved files to my online server as a backup and also burn them to discs. I can save YEARS of compressed footage this way.
Reply
thatdivalady 04:53 PM 10-26-2011
I have been researching camera systems for a few months now because we plan to use a monitoring system for our center. But oh man...Q-See seems a little expensive! One system that my old job used was Ez Watch Pro, and they are up there too.

I was looking into Defender and Samsung. We need 5 cameras which really puts us in the 8 camera package since they come in sets of 2, 4, 8 etc.

I've been working with our IT guy about recording because we want that capability as well and the only options are your own server, an external server, a really big hard drive lol. I think one good way to eliminate too much data would be to have motion sensored cameras.

I don't need audio, but those anti-eavesdropping laws sound interesting.

If anyone has any ideas or other inexpensive systems, please let me know! Til then...we'll be searching!
Reply
Michael 08:50 PM 10-26-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
For those of you with cameras installed.

Can you record directly to a laptop?
Does the recording include sound?

Thanks.
Yes you can. It is a computer. Make sure your laptop has a larger hard drive since sound and video take up a lot of room. Suggest you purchase a large external HD at Sams or Costco. You can put months of video on those for around $100.

Originally Posted by thatdivalady:
I have been researching camera systems for a few months now because we plan to use a monitoring system for our center. But oh man...Q-See seems a little expensive! One system that my old job used was Ez Watch Pro, and they are up there too.

I was looking into Defender and Samsung. We need 5 cameras which really puts us in the 8 camera package since they come in sets of 2, 4, 8 etc.

I've been working with our IT guy about recording because we want that capability as well and the only options are your own server, an external server, a really big hard drive lol. I think one good way to eliminate too much data would be to have motion sensored cameras.

I don't need audio, but those anti-eavesdropping laws sound interesting.

If anyone has any ideas or other inexpensive systems, please let me know! Til then...we'll be searching!
What do you consider inexpensive? The one we have in the article is around $250 but there are some great ones at Costco for around $1000 that does everything including night time video.
https://www.daycare.com/story/monitor/index.html

Originally Posted by misspollywog:
We opted for the no audio because of eavesdropping laws (not even sure they apply in Idaho but still lol). It records directly to a DVR that came with the system but also can be hooked to a computer, so yes, ours would work on a laptop. We have the Q-See brand.

I also upload the saved files to my online server as a backup and also burn them to discs. I can save YEARS of compressed footage this way.
Every state has differing privacy laws. External HD are so cheap now you can just store your information on those at home and burn the segments you need to CD.

Here 1000GB for less then $100.


Reply
Tags:cctv, monitor, video monitors
Reply Up