Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Food For Toddler
Unregistered 06:44 AM 03-15-2012
If one more person,feeds their two year old that squeezable fruit and vegetable crap!
I'm poing to lose it!!!
That's great and all that their getting fruits and veggies but it's still baby food.
If you've never changed a kids diapers after let me tell you -it's DISGUSTING!!!
Reply
nannyde 06:56 AM 03-15-2012
I do a lot of pureed or blended stews for my crew and they LOVE it. I have an eight year old special needs child visiting this week who is quite underweight and she has CHOWED the blended stews. She got veggies in her she didn't even know existed.

I haven't seen any poop issues with it. I don't know about squeze food but blended stews, fruits, and veggies are a top ticket at my house. We are having a chicken and veggie with rice stew today and I'll zip it thru the processor before serving. They will gobble it down. The rice I use is a heftier whole grain rice and serving it by itself is a bit too chewey for the kids. Blending it in home made chicken broth is enough to get the kids to really like it.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I do a lot of pureed or blended stews for my crew and they LOVE it. I have an eight year old special needs child visiting this week who is quite underweight and she has CHOWED the blended stews. She got veggies in her she didn't even know existed.

I haven't seen any poop issues with it. I don't know about squeze food but blended stews, fruits, and veggies are a top ticket at my house. We are having a chicken and veggie with rice stew today and I'll zip it thru the processor before serving. They will gobble it down. The rice I use is a heftier whole grain rice and serving it by itself is a bit too chewey for the kids. Blending it in home made chicken broth is enough to get the kids to really like it.
Nan, not to sound weird or any thing but since you do a lot of pureed things for meals at your house, I am curious as to what they look like when you serve it to the kids.

For example, you mentioned a whole grain rice but it is too chewy for the littler ones to eat so what does it look like when you do serve it?

Could you post a picture or do you have them on your DC site?

I would LOVE to feed my littler ones things like that but I am always concerned about their ability to chew those types of things.
Reply
nannyde 07:09 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nan, not to sound weird or any thing but since you do a lot of pureed things for meals at your house, I am curious as to what they look like when you serve it to the kids.

For example, you mentioned a whole grain rice but it is too chewy for the littler ones to eat so what does it look like when you do serve it?

Could you post a picture or do you have them on your DC site?

I would LOVE to feed my littler ones things like that but I am always concerned about their ability to chew those types of things.
Like clam chowder... that's the consistency.

You would be really surprised how many kids just don't like the texture of food but love the flavor. Even my eleven year olds likes some blended foods. We use them for meals and for dipping.

I had WDMMOM's seven year here last summer for a few days and she kept telling me she doesn't like peas or squash so I made a blended pea soup with squash and ham and she GOBBLED it down. Didn't mention what it WAS until she was walking out the door. he he he fixed her little wagon.
Sure I'll post some pictures.
Reply
Unregistered 07:46 AM 03-15-2012
What is the purpose of pureed food if you don't mind me asking? Just to sneak in the fruits and vegetables? I don't serve smashed or pureed food,except for soups. I think after a certain age they just need to learn how to chew their food. I'm sure there are some benefits to serving it(less choking hazard,exposure to foods they normally wouldn't try) I'm just not a fan of squeezing stuff out of a packet.Lol I guess it's the new trend! Oh great!
Reply
Blackcat31 09:15 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I had WDMMOM's seven year here last summer for a few days and she kept telling me she doesn't like peas or squash so I made a blended pea soup with squash and ham and she GOBBLED it down. Didn't mention what it WAS until she was walking out the door. he he he fixed her little wagon.
Sure I'll post some pictures.
that's awesome!!

That is partially the whole reason why I want to start doing some pureed things. I am tired of the kids not getting all the nutrients they should be getting so I thought I could start squeezing some "good" stuff without them catching on.
Reply
nannyde 11:13 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What is the purpose of pureed food if you don't mind me asking? Just to sneak in the fruits and vegetables? I don't serve smashed or pureed food,except for soups. I think after a certain age they just need to learn how to chew their food. I'm sure there are some benefits to serving it(less choking hazard,exposure to foods they normally wouldn't try) I'm just not a fan of squeezing stuff out of a packet.Lol I guess it's the new trend! Oh great!
No purpose really other than the kids really like it and you can get them to enjoy a wide variety of different flavors by gradually introducing it to their taste buds thru established foods they already like.
Reply
Greenplasticwateringcans 11:19 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If one more person,feeds their two year old that squeezable fruit and vegetable crap!
I'm poing to lose it!!!
That's great and all that their getting fruits and veggies but it's still baby food.
If you've never changed a kids diapers after let me tell you -it's DISGUSTING!!!
Those packaged squish tubes are disgusting and not even remotely healthy. Since they say "fruit" or "vegetable" on them they must be healthy.....right? I liked to squash up children's food when they were little but that is not even close to the sludge in those tubes..
Reply
spud912 11:57 AM 03-15-2012
No flaming me, but once every week or two, my family and I (NOT dck's) will eat out at a restaurant or fast food chain. I will pack my 1 and 3 year old the applesauce (no sugar added, all natural) pouches. They "drink" it directly out of the pouches. That way, I feel like they are get something nutritious in their meal. I think it tastes just like regular applesauce and there is nothing wrong with it. I personally would not buy them for dck's because they are outrageously expensive.

I see nothing wrong with adding homemade pureed fruits and veggies into things. I also see nothing wrong with providing applesauce (store-bought or homemade) or other pureed foods (homemade) to older children as long as they feed themselves. All people should eat a variety of textures (smooth, chunky, chewy, etc.)
Reply
countrymom 11:58 AM 03-15-2012
I know what you mean. I keep staring at it when we go to the store, like seriously how hard is it to cook something and puree it. I'm not big into processed baby food.
Reply
Breezy 12:01 PM 03-15-2012
I have given my ds those pouches recently as he was sick and wouldnt eat anything solid and i needed to get something in his tummy.
Reply
Beach Baby 09:28 PM 03-15-2012
I give my own kids those fruit squeeze pouches. The only ingredients in the ones I give them are apples and cinnamon. How is that any different than feeding them applesauce from a jar or even homemade for that matter? You know what the difference is? They actually eat it! The purpose, for me, is to get some fruit into them. My boys will eat a variety of fruits, but my daughter (19 months) is picky, but LOVES the applesauce pouches. She also loves yogurt, and SALAD. My kids eat a variety of healthy foods, including the pouches. The pouches are used for snacks, and I'd MUCH rather have them suck some applesauce from a pouch than eat a bag of chips. Point is, there are worse foods they could be consuming. I wish I could figure out a way to make my own refillable pouches for fruits and veggies, I'd give them to my kids, anytime! As far as poops go...I haven't noticed any changes. Some kids are more sensitive to certain foods, but I don't think it would make a difference if they ate that food from a pouch or homemade.
Reply
Hunni Bee 10:05 PM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by MamaNik:
I give my own kids those fruit squeeze pouches. The only ingredients in the ones I give them are apples and cinnamon. How is that any different than feeding them applesauce from a jar or even homemade for that matter? You know what the difference is? They actually eat it! The purpose, for me, is to get some fruit into them. My boys will eat a variety of fruits, but my daughter (19 months) is picky, but LOVES the applesauce pouches. She also loves yogurt, and SALAD. My kids eat a variety of healthy foods, including the pouches. The pouches are used for snacks, and I'd MUCH rather have them suck some applesauce from a pouch than eat a bag of chips. Point is, there are worse foods they could be consuming. I wish I could figure out a way to make my own refillable pouches for fruits and veggies, I'd give them to my kids, anytime! As far as poops go...I haven't noticed any changes. Some kids are more sensitive to certain foods, but I don't think it would make a difference if they ate that food from a pouch or homemade.
I was wondering the same thing. The ingredients list only fruits or vegetables, so no gross additives...is it the way its processed? I'll have to look it up...
Reply
christinaskids 04:40 AM 03-16-2012
Too bad they dont sell little pouches we could reuse. We all know kids will eat foods from different containers sometimes!
Reply
nannyde 06:36 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
that's awesome!!

That is partially the whole reason why I want to start doing some pureed things. I am tired of the kids not getting all the nutrients they should be getting so I thought I could start squeezing some "good" stuff without them catching on.
http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=151615533

Chicken with red rice stew with carrots and kale.

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=151615534

Ghiradelli chocolate banana bread for desert

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=151615534
Reply
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=151615533

Chicken with red rice stew with carrots and kale.

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=151615534

Ghiradelli chocolate banana bread for desert

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=151615534
Oh, those are awesome!! You just use a food processor then right?

I am sooo going to be trying this! I have a really young group right now and sadly a majority of them literally live off of drive throughs.

Evenone of my very youngest (13 months) eats McD's because according ot mom, "He will only eat McD's and I would rather he ate that then nothing at all"

She also thinks that isn't such a huge deal since she hasn't been able to wean him from nursing yet so she honestly believes that between the breast milk and the fast food, it all balances out.
Reply
SilverSabre25 08:10 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh, those are awesome!! You just use a food processor then right?

I am sooo going to be trying this! I have a really young group right now and sadly a majority of them literally live off of drive throughs.

Evenone of my very youngest (13 months) eats McD's because according ot mom, "He will only eat McD's and I would rather he ate that then nothing at all"

She also thinks that isn't such a huge deal since she hasn't been able to wean him from nursing yet so she honestly believes that between the breast milk and the fast food, it all balances out.
Well yeah...he probably doesn't want to wean because he knows that's where his body's nutrients are coming from!!!
Reply
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 03-16-2012
Yeah, it is harder when the kids know more than the parent...
Reply
Lilbutterflie 09:34 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh, those are awesome!! You just use a food processor then right?

I am sooo going to be trying this! I have a really young group right now and sadly a majority of them literally live off of drive throughs.

Evenone of my very youngest (13 months) eats McD's because according ot mom, "He will only eat McD's and I would rather he ate that then nothing at all"

She also thinks that isn't such a huge deal since she hasn't been able to wean him from nursing yet so she honestly believes that between the breast milk and the fast food, it all balances out.
I have a 16 month old dcb that lives off fast food too. His mom admittedly gets fast food pretty much every night, so dcb gets mostly chicken nuggets/fries or quesadilla. She also admittedly does NOT serve veggies at home b/c SHE does not like them (she said she doesn't even want to TOUCH veggies). At first, when dcb first started eating finger foods, he would eat everything for me (including all the healthy veggies). But now, I can't hardly get him to eat ANYTHING at all. Not even fruits. He is a challenging one at meal time for sure.

I want to try the pureed stews with my crew, but don't have a food processor. I have a hand blender and a full size blender. Would that work??
Reply
SunshineMama 11:41 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by christinaskids:
Too bad they dont sell little pouches we could reuse. We all know kids will eat foods from different containers sometimes!
THEY DO! I bought some. They are called the Sili Squeeze.

http://thesilico.com/

I have been using it since my dd was 11 months and it's awesome!
Reply
Unregistered 02:47 PM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
Those packaged squish tubes are disgusting and not even remotely healthy. Since they say "fruit" or "vegetable" on them they must be healthy.....right? I liked to squash up children's food when they were little but that is not even close to the sludge in those tubes..
I dont know what you are referring to but my son eats purred fruit veggies and whole grains out of squeeze packets all the time. The ingredients are NOTHING but the fruits veggies and grains and they are organic. He loves the packets because he can easily feed himself (he also eats just fine with a spoon.) It helps to get good healthy foods in him that he wouldn't normally eat (spinach, broccoli, etc). I wish someone made a reusable squeeze packet so I could put my homemade purres in it but the store bouht is just fine too. My older son still like them too. They are not disgusting and your post is rude and obnoxious.
Reply
Country Kids 08:41 PM 03-16-2012
Two questions-none of us had these growing up and all ate fine. Why, oh why do we need to feed it to our children?

If these weren't available, would all these children starve? Would they just not eat or would they learn to eat?

I see this as another example of us feeding into kids running the show and not learning what they need to do. I feel they all need to learn to eat and if they don't they don't. I'm sure none of our parents did all this extra stuff or spent the extra money to make sure we received our nutrients. We either ate or were dismissed from the table!
Reply
familyschoolcare 11:25 AM 03-17-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Two questions-none of us had these growing up and all ate fine. Why, oh why do we need to feed it to our children?

If these weren't available, would all these children starve? Would they just not eat or would they learn to eat?

I see this as another example of us feeding into kids running the show and not learning what they need to do. I feel they all need to learn to eat and if they don't they don't. I'm sure none of our parents did all this extra stuff or spent the extra money to make sure we received our nutrients. We either ate or were dismissed from the table!
Just because we did not have "it" growing up does not mean"it" is not a good idea. How many of you had a car seat growing up?

Also another thought I had on the pouches is that as far a baby food goes it is less wast than a jar.
Reply
dave4him 11:41 AM 03-17-2012
i am a huge fan of those packets of squeezable food! COme in handy on a trip out
Reply
sharlan 01:48 PM 03-17-2012
Both of my granddaughters (6 & 16) love them in their school lunches. Less mess than a container of fruit that can't be sealed if they don't eat it all. No spoon to mess with.
Reply
Blackcat31 03:32 PM 03-17-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Just because we did not have "it" growing up does not mean"it" is not a good idea. How many of you had a car seat growing up?

Comparing something that save lives and a food container is hardly a fair comparison.

Also another thought I had on the pouches is that as far a baby food goes it is less wast than a jar.

The couple pouches I have looked at in Target aren't recycleable but baby food jars are.
I commented in bold above.

FWIW~ I have zero opinion on these pouches as I haven't had a dck come with one and it doesn't lool like something I would buy.
Reply
familyschoolcare 05:36 PM 03-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I commented in bold above.

FWIW~ I have zero opinion on these pouches as I haven't had a dck come with one and it doesn't lool like something I would buy.
1. It was not meant to be a fair comparison. Rather to make a point that "we" parents, providers and people in general should not be quick to think that something "we" did with out in the past should not be used. It was meant to respond to the fact the your responsed seamed to say that the only reason you did not like them or thought people in general should not use them was because children surived with out them for many years.
Reply
Mommy2One 12:08 PM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I had WDMMOM's seven year here last summer for a few days and she kept telling me she doesn't like peas or squash so I made a blended pea soup with squash and ham and she GOBBLED it down. Didn't mention what it WAS until she was walking out the door. he he he fixed her little wagon.
Nan, would you please come and teach ME to eat more vegetables?

I grew up with a SAHM and homemade meals most nights but they were pretty basic meat and potato sort of foods. I get scared venturing too far from corn, green beans, peas, carrots and salad and my husband is even worse. Our 2.5yo eats more kinds of fruits and veggies than we do!
Reply
Mommy2One 12:14 PM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If one more person,feeds their two year old that squeezable fruit and vegetable crap!
I'm poing to lose it!!!
That's great and all that their getting fruits and veggies but it's still baby food.
If you've never changed a kids diapers after let me tell you -it's DISGUSTING!!!
My 2.5yo daughter thinks the pouches are fun. I wouldn't view them as a good substitute for fresh, whole fruits and vegetables on a regular basis, but I've checked the labels and most are no better or worse than store-bought applesauce. Plus they're less messy and great for on the go (no spoon, no drips). Could we all live without them? Yes, of course, but I don't think they're the worst snack a kid could have. (I've also noticed no change to my daughters BM as a result of eating them.)
Reply
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
1. It was not meant to be a fair comparison. Rather to make a point that "we" parents, providers and people in general should not be quick to think that something "we" did with out in the past should not be used. It was meant to respond to the fact the your responsed seamed to say that the only reason you did not like them or thought people in general should not use them was because children surived with out them for many years.
I didn't have a response.

I even commented in my post to you that I have no feelings for or against these pouches.
Reply
familyschoolcare 01:04 PM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I didn't have a response.

I even commented in my post to you that I have no feelings for or against these pouches.
I am sorry what I meant to say I should have was "Country Kids" instead of "your" response. Therefore, it should have read like this. ...

It was meant to respond to the fact the Country Kids responsed seamed to say that the only reason you did not like them or thought people in general should not use them was because children surived with out them for many years.
Reply
busymomof2 01:09 PM 03-19-2012
Okay I know this is gonna sound dumb but I have no idea how to puree veggies and fruits. Do you just cook the veggie (ie carrots to make them soft) then place them in a blender with water? I would like to know for two reasons 1. I have a dc baby just starting solid foods and my 2 year old REFUSES to eat fruit and veggies that are hard, however he eats chicken and crackers just fine. He loves baby food but they are expensive plus I want to get him use to solids or sneak the "good" stuff in with his food like into his spaghetti sauce. Thanks for the help.
Reply
Blackcat31 01:35 PM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
I am sorry what I meant to say I should have was "Country Kids" instead of "your" response. Therefore, it should have read like this. ...

It was meant to respond to the fact the Country Kids responsed seamed to say that the only reason you did not like them or thought people in general should not use them was because children surived with out them for many years.
Oh ok, I see now....sorry, I am running low on caffiene so I mis-understood.

Now it makes sense. You do have a valid point. Sometimes when we have done well without something for so long that the need for it now seems kind of unneccessary...kwim?

I am thinking I might have to be checking these fruit pouches out....
Reply
familyschoolcare 01:37 PM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh ok, I see now....sorry, I am running low on caffiene so I mis-understood.

Now it makes sense. You do have a valid point. Sometimes when we have done well without something for so long that the need for it now seems kind of unneccessary...kwim?

I am thinking I might have to be checking these fruit pouches out....
I would buy the fruit pouches if they where cost effective
Reply
familyschoolcare 10:14 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
THEY DO! I bought some. They are called the Sili Squeeze.

http://thesilico.com/

I have been using it since my dd was 11 months and it's awesome!
So for those of you that have used these.

what is keeping the food in the bottle? If the bottle was in a bag would it squeaze out into the cap or would it stay in the bottle?
Reply
Solandia 06:13 AM 04-12-2012
My 6yo dcb has the squeezable fruit & veggies for his lunchbag. I have to admit, it is rather handy. Less messy & healthier than fruit cups with diced fruit sitting in corn sryup or jello cups. And if the child actually eats squeezable peas or carrots from his lunchbox..way cool, imo. Raw veggies take too much time to eat, even for my dck who would normally eat them.
Reply
Tags:baby food, food - age appropriate, toddler food
Reply Up