Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Your Inspectors...
momofsix 02:31 PM 12-03-2013
actually ask you to change a diaper for them??? From reading the previous post about the licensing visit coming up it seems pretty common.
Mine has me show her my changing area, the 3 water bottles for cleaning, where I keep supplies, where I wash my hands and where I throw the diapers out.
I would feel uncomfortable actually changing a child in front of them-or anyone really. I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't be thrilled with me changing their child in front of a stranger either. It just seems a huge invasion of the child's privacy-even if they are too young to know that themselves.
I think if I were told to change a child I would probably get in trouble because I don't think I would do it! AM I the only one that this seems weird/inappropriate to?
TwinKristi 02:44 PM 12-03-2013
No mine didn't. He didn't ask to even see any of the things I read on the other thread?
KidGrind 02:49 PM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
actually ask you to change a diaper for them??? From reading the previous post about the licensing visit coming up it seems pretty common.
Mine has me show her my changing area, the 3 water bottles for cleaning, where I keep supplies, where I wash my hands and where I throw the diapers out.
I would feel uncomfortable actually changing a child in front of them-or anyone really. I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't be thrilled with me changing their child in front of a stranger either. It just seems a huge invasion of the child's privacy-even if they are too young to know that themselves.
I think if I were told to change a child I would probably get in trouble because I don't think I would do it! AM I the only one that this seems weird/inappropriate to?
Often daycare professionals do not change diapers according to health & safety standards. I do not feel it’s an invasion of privacy or inappropriate.

Today, I have visitors to observe due to a continual situation I am going through. They did not ask me to demonstrate diaper changing. However, the child did dirty their diaper. So I changed DCB’s diaper in front of them demonstration proper diaper changing.

Set up
Wash hands
Diaper changing liner
Gloves
One hand on child at all time
Removal of gloves
Washing of hands mine and DCB (4 months)
Diaper disposal
Wash hands again
snbauser 02:53 PM 12-03-2013
I've never had one ask me to change them but typically when they are here they stay for 2-3 hours from start to finish. And in that time there is always a diaper change.
daycarediva 02:56 PM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I've never had one ask me to change them but typically when they are here they stay for 2-3 hours from start to finish. And in that time there is always a diaper change.
Yup. I now have all potty trained kids though, inspect away!
jenboo 03:18 PM 12-03-2013
I havent been asked yet but I don't see a problem with it. When i worked in a center, kiddos had no privacy at all. I would be fine with changing a diaper if i was asked to.
Maria2013 03:21 PM 12-03-2013
I used gloves once in 8 yrs, do you guys use gloves every diaper change?
Maria2013 03:22 PM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I havent been asked yet but I don't see a problem with it. When i worked in a center, kiddos had no privacy at all. I would be fine with changing a diaper if i was asked to.
me too
Play Care 03:34 PM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I don't see the big deal. All inspectors have the same background checks, fingerprinting we have. It's not as if Joe Schmoe came in asking to watch
Leanna 03:35 PM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Often daycare professionals do not change diapers according to health & safety standards. I do not feel it’s an invasion of privacy or inappropriate.

Today, I have visitors to observe due to a continual situation I am going through. They did not ask me to demonstrate diaper changing. However, the child did dirty their diaper. So I changed DCB’s diaper in front of them demonstration proper diaper changing.

Set up
Wash hands
Diaper changing liner
Gloves
One hand on child at all time
Removal of gloves
Washing of hands mine and DCB (4 months)
Diaper disposal
Wash hands again
Okay. I hear ya. But here is the diaper changing protocol straight from my health care plan:
Collect all supplies, but keep everything off the diapering surface except the items you will use during the diapering process. Prepare a sheet of non-absorbent paper that will cover the diaper changing surface from the child’s chest to the child’s feet. Bring a fresh diaper, as many wipes as needed for this diaper change, non-porous gloves and a plastic bag for any soiled clothes.

Put on gloves. Avoid contact with soiled items. Items that come in contact with items soiled with stool or urine will have to be cleaned and sanitized. Carry the baby to the changing table, keeping soiled clothing from touching the caregiver’s clothing. Bag soiled clothes and, later, securely tie the plastic bag to send the clothes home.

Unfasten the diaper, but leave the soiled diaper under the child. Hold the child’s feet to raise the child out of the soiled diaper and use disposable wipes to clean the diaper area. Remove stool and urine from front to back and use a fresh wipe each time. Put the soiled wipes into the soiled diaper. Note and later report any skin problems.

Remove the soiled diaper. Fold the diaper over and secure it with the tabs. Put it into a lined, covered or lidded can and then into an outdoor receptacle or one out of reach of children. If reusable diapers are being used, put the diaper into the plastic-lined covered or lidded can for those diapers or in a separate plastic bag to be sent home for laundering. Do not rinse or handle the contents of the diaper.

Slide a clean diaper under the baby. If skin products are used, put on gloves and apply product. Dispose of gloves properly. Fasten the diaper.

Dress the baby before removing him from the diapering surface. Clean the baby’s hands, using soap and water at a sink if you can. If the child is too heavy to hold for hand washing and cannot stand at the sink, use disposable wipes or soap and water with disposable paper towels to clean the child’s hands. Take the child back to the child care area.

Clean and disinfect the diapering area:

Dispose of the table liner into the covered or lidded can.

Clean any visible soil from the changing table.

Spray the table so the entire surface is wet with bleach solution or hospital-grade germicidal solution.

Leave the bleach on the surface for 2 minutes, then wipe the surface or allow
it to air dry.

Wash hands thoroughly.
KidGrind 03:56 PM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Okay. I hear ya. But here is the diaper changing protocol straight from my health care plan:
Collect all supplies, but keep everything off the diapering surface except the items you will use during the diapering process. Prepare a sheet of non-absorbent paper that will cover the diaper changing surface from the child’s chest to the child’s feet. Bring a fresh diaper, as many wipes as needed for this diaper change, non-porous gloves and a plastic bag for any soiled clothes.

Put on gloves. Avoid contact with soiled items. Items that come in contact with items soiled with stool or urine will have to be cleaned and sanitized. Carry the baby to the changing table, keeping soiled clothing from touching the caregiver’s clothing. Bag soiled clothes and, later, securely tie the plastic bag to send the clothes home.

Unfasten the diaper, but leave the soiled diaper under the child. Hold the child’s feet to raise the child out of the soiled diaper and use disposable wipes to clean the diaper area. Remove stool and urine from front to back and use a fresh wipe each time. Put the soiled wipes into the soiled diaper. Note and later report any skin problems.

Remove the soiled diaper. Fold the diaper over and secure it with the tabs. Put it into a lined, covered or lidded can and then into an outdoor receptacle or one out of reach of children. If reusable diapers are being used, put the diaper into the plastic-lined covered or lidded can for those diapers or in a separate plastic bag to be sent home for laundering. Do not rinse or handle the contents of the diaper.

Slide a clean diaper under the baby. If skin products are used, put on gloves and apply product. Dispose of gloves properly. Fasten the diaper.

Dress the baby before removing him from the diapering surface. Clean the baby’s hands, using soap and water at a sink if you can. If the child is too heavy to hold for hand washing and cannot stand at the sink, use disposable wipes or soap and water with disposable paper towels to clean the child’s hands. Take the child back to the child care area.

Clean and disinfect the diapering area:

Dispose of the table liner into the covered or lidded can.

Clean any visible soil from the changing table.

Spray the table so the entire surface is wet with bleach solution or hospital-grade germicidal solution.

Leave the bleach on the surface for 2 minutes, then wipe the surface or allow
it to air dry.

Wash hands thoroughly.
I edited it! LOL! Per your protocol I do one thing wrong. The bleach … I spray the bleach solution then wipe diaper pad down w/ paper towel.
MyAngels 05:20 PM 12-03-2013
Not only have I never been asked to demonstrate a diaper change, I've never even been asked how or where I do it, or anything about it at all. I had one inspector casually mention that I should use disinfectant wipes on the diaper pad. Even the inspector that stayed all day never once mentioned it, though to be fair I only had potty trained children there on the day he spent with me.

I'd have no problem demonstrating it if asked, though.
itlw8 06:00 PM 12-03-2013
I do not have to wear gloves but I usually do. Why? because I also prepare food and wearing gloves means I do not have to use a nail brush before preparing food.

and no I have never been asked to change a diaper they check for the bottles and look for tears in the pad. They may ask for my procedure.
Michelle 06:23 PM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Not only have I never been asked to demonstrate a diaper change, I've never even been asked how or where I do it, or anything about it at all. I had one inspector casually mention that I should use disinfectant wipes on the diaper pad. Even the inspector that stayed all day never once mentioned it, though to be fair I only had potty trained children there on the day he spent with me.

I'd have no problem demonstrating it if asked, though.
Why did you have an inspector stay all day?
The longest I had an licensing rep here was 30 minutes..she came in, said "wow!" copied and pasted from my last inspection and had me sign and left.
What state are you in?
Lorri 06:54 PM 12-03-2013
My old one did, I have a new lady now and she has only been here once but hasn't ask yet
MyAngels 05:38 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Why did you have an inspector stay all day?
The longest I had an licensing rep here was 30 minutes..she came in, said "wow!" copied and pasted from my last inspection and had me sign and left.
What state are you in?
He stayed from about 1030 to 430. I finally asked him to either finish up or plan to stay for dinner .

He was an older gentleman, diligent, and very, very slow with everything he did. I appreciated his thoroughness, I did not appreciate his pace. There were complaints from all over the county about his visits, fortunately he retired before my next visit was due.

I've never had a visit last more than an hour, either before or since.

I'm in Illinois.
LaLa1923 05:42 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
YES...for pooo only
kitykids3 05:58 AM 12-04-2013
In all these years I have never had a licensor actually ask to see me change a diaper. Granted, they may have watched on occasion, the raters from the stars program definetly watch at least one or two being done. I wouldn't have a problem, except being watched doing anything just makes me more nervous and likely to forget something, but it's routine now so it's ok.

As far as the gloves question, I don't use them for just pee diapers, but for bm's I do.
Play Care 06:29 AM 12-04-2013
I use gloves for every diaper change. I buy them in bulk online.
I know I've had parents try to sneak ill children in past me - I just don't want to take any chances.
jenboo 06:53 AM 12-04-2013
The heath department and licensing requires that we wear gloves for every diaper change (we have to put them on before picking up the child to change their diaper) and we have to wash our hands before the gloves go on and after we finishing the change.

I always wear gloves- your are dealing with bodily fluids and you never fully know all the history about the child (current and past). Plus i have some really squirmy kiddos so it keeps me from getting poop on my hands.
SSWonders 07:20 AM 12-04-2013

I use them with every diaper change. I feel naked without them.
iluvlearning 08:50 AM 12-04-2013
I posted this on the other thread about diapering. I got an email about these from my CCR&R. I printed them out and posted them and when my inspector came, they were a hit. Plus...they are free. Hope this helps.

http://www.geewhizeducation.com/health/
Tags:inspection
Reply Up