Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Family Quits Before 1st Day...Fair?
KDC 04:13 PM 06-08-2014
Anyone out here on a Sunday night?

I just had a family that was supposed to start tomorrow call and say she lost her job. I signed her up a month ago, and she dropped all the paperwork off and deposit right away. The first available date on my end was June 9th. Perfect scenario for summer. 3 days a week for both a DCB5 and DCG1.5, They called and said they can no longer afford my service and want to know what happens to their deposit

I turned many families away to accommodate them. I now have to go back to interview and I feel like I spent SO much time getting ready for their family. He was lactose intolerant so I researched menu options and shopped last night and now feel so let down.

My solution is to watch them for the 2 weeks (using up their deposit, and since I require a 2 week notice and tell them their spot is up for grabs and I'll be interviewing to fill their spot. If she gets a job and it works out, then great -- if not, then they'll have to find new care. Is this a fair solution?
Blackcat31 04:19 PM 06-08-2014
Deposits are to secure their spot.

Which you did.

Now they don't want the space so technically they forfeit the deposit.

That's my take on the point of a deposit.

I understand them wanting the money back but you are now out money so I would simply explain that the deposit is non-refundable.

What do your policies say about deposits?

If you apply it to their final bill then that is what I would tell them. They can follow normal protocol and give two weeks notice and use the deposit for that.

I consider a family enrolled once they turn in the paperwork and pay for the space. Which this family did.

I guess it comes down to what your contract/policies say about deposits.
racemom 04:20 PM 06-08-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:
Anyone out here on a Sunday night?

I just had a family that was supposed to start tomorrow call and say she lost her job. I signed her up a month ago, and she dropped all the paperwork off and deposit right away. The first available date on my end was June 9th. Perfect scenario for summer. 3 days a week for both a DCB5 and DCG1.5, They called and said they can no longer afford my service and want to know what happens to their deposit

I turned many families away to accommodate them. I now have to go back to interview and I feel like I spent SO much time getting ready for their family. He was lactose intolerant so I researched menu options and shopped last night and now feel so let down.

My solution is to watch them for the 2 weeks (using up their deposit, and since I require a 2 week notice and tell them their spot is up for grabs and I'll be interviewing to fill their spot. If she gets a job and it works out, then great -- if not, then they'll have to find new care. Is this a fair solution?
I think this is very fair. Mom needs someone to watch kids while looking for new job anyway, and it is not fair for you to lose out on your money because her circumstances changed.
crazydaycarelady 04:24 PM 06-08-2014
Originally Posted by :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deposits are to secure their spot.

Which you did.

Now they don't want the space so technically they forfeit the deposit.

That's my take on the point of a deposit.
YES! It is a non-refundable deposit to hold the spot. If that is not how it is worded in your contract then change it.
Butter Biskets 04:59 PM 06-08-2014
I would keep the deposit. It is written in my contract that a non-refundable deposit must be given to save the spot. If you pull out, I keep the money to help compensate for lost income. Of course, it is written in a more professional manner in the contact, but this is exactly what it means. You don't owe them anything. I am sorry, but I have learned that the families could care less about you or your business. Too bad, so sad, as far as I am concerned.
TickleMonster 05:07 PM 06-08-2014
I think what you are offering is very fair. With any luck, she will have found another job in that two weeks time and then everyone wins.
Little Buttons 05:15 PM 06-08-2014
I think what you are offering is more than fair and very generous! I guess it comes down to how you address deposits in your contract, but IMO you held the child's spot so the deposit is yours. Maybe I am in a synical mood tonight but are you sure she didn't find alternate care? Something about this seems fishy to me. She either kept this information to herself for a few days or was fired on a Sunday?
CraftyMom 05:25 PM 06-08-2014
Originally Posted by Little Buttons:
I think what you are offering is more than fair and very generous! I guess it comes down to how you address deposits in your contract, but IMO you held the child's spot so the deposit is yours. Maybe I am in a synical mood tonight but are you sure she didn't find alternate care? Something about this seems fishy to me. She either kept this information to herself for a few days or was fired on a Sunday?
Ha! I thought the same thing! Guess I've been burned too many times!

I think you're being fair, however I wouldn't be interested in caring for the kids for 2 weeks. The first 2 weeks are an adjustment, which may or may not go smoothly. I wouldn't want to go through the adjustment just for them to leave.

Depending on your contract, I would explain that to mom and tell her the deposit is non refundable
rosieteddy 05:44 PM 06-08-2014
I would tell them it was a nonrefundable deposit to hold the spots.I would explain thatyou did not interview to fill those spots.That you spent time getting ready for the children and especially spent time on the food issues.I personally would not refund nor care for the children.I would tell them that you would welcome them if she found a new job and had space. Sorry for the hassle.It is so hard when parents back out.
TwinKristi 05:45 PM 06-08-2014
It depends on the contract 100%. I wouldn't give them the money back if the contract supports that. Take this as their 2wks notice and you're good. I personally wouldn't want the kids for 2wks either. Sucky situation. I had something similar but it was a couple days before they started and no paperwork or deposit yet.
midaycare 06:07 PM 06-08-2014
I don't understand why so many parents having trouble understanding the meaning of both deposits and paying for full time care in a part time slot. When I worked and send ds to child care, I lost a deposit once (found out she wasn't so good before I started) and I didn't ask for the money back. I also always paid for a full time slot for part time care. I never even flinched. What is wrong with people?
Shell 06:48 PM 06-08-2014
Am I reading this right? She let you know tonight they won't be starting tomorrow?! I know things happen quickly sometimes, but did she just find out she lost the job? Either way, I agree with those that say keep the deposit but don't care for the kids. If she finds a job soon, maybe you can accommodate them, but if you can fill with someone else, I would.
KDC 08:52 AM 06-09-2014
She said she found out Friday night at 5pm. DCD called me Saturday night around 7ish, but I was not home. I called back on Sunday around 4 and we played phone tag for awhile. I talked to them around 5:30 and he said she lost her job on Friday, and they can no longer afford daycare.

I am kind of bummed. It was for 2 children (1 just for summer), and one was to continue. My spot wasn't open until June 9th. (Teacher families leaving). So the first available spot I had was for June 9th and that's when they said they couldn't do it. I believe her, because when I called she was crying, upset by the job loss. She's a dental hygienist. I gave her a week (mainly because I wasn't ready to take on her children) I still plan to watch them for 2 weeks because my contract isn't clear (re-writing this NOW). Since she is allowed to give a 2 weeks notice and isn't asking for the deposit back, i feel it's fair.

I'm now reaching out to those on a waiting list, and re-advertising for the spots. It's 1/2 my summer income so it kind of sucks. This family that's bailing reached out to me a total of 3 times (once, went through the whole interview process and tour, only to tell me my hours wouldn't work for their family -- which they knew the hours before but I guess they wanted to see how 'flexible' my hours were? 2nd time they said DCD got a promotion and could now adhere to my hours, but I was full. I posted an opening and they jumped on it - now bailing. 3rd strike -- they're out. This is also the family that forgot to mention their 5 yr. old wasn't fully potty trained, lactose intolerant and socially/developmentally delayed - so maybe this is a blessing in disguise.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:03 AM 06-09-2014
I'm so sorry that happened. I think you're being more than generous, taking them for 2 weeks. You get all the hard transition time and none of the benefit of a long-term family. It does sound like you dodged a bullet with this family, though; in the end, it's probably best you're not stuck with them!
TomCopeland 11:34 AM 06-11-2014
I've found that it's best not to use the word "deposit" because parents may think they can get it back (even if you say nonrefundable deposit). Instead, use the words "nonrefundable holding fee."
Crazy8 07:01 PM 06-11-2014
my contract very clearly says NON REFUNDABLE, they wouldn't be getting any money back. They were going to start this week so that deposit covers the 2 week notice they didn't give.

Hope you find new kids ASAP!!
Tags:new family quits
Reply Up