Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tie Dye Questions
Thriftylady 07:28 AM 07-19-2016
The kiddos did tie dye shirts today to use as "daycare" shirts. I have two questions.

First, it says let them sit 24 hours before washing. Is that really necessary? They want to wear them on our field trip tomorrow.

Secondly, any ideas what to do with the bit of leftover dye. I hate to throw it out, since it is so expensive!
Second Home 07:51 AM 07-19-2016
If you don't let them sit they will be a duller color . I have both waited the 24 hours and not wait the 24 hours . I had a big difference in color in the ones that I washed the same day .
Thriftylady 08:08 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
If you don't let them sit they will be a duller color . I have both waited the 24 hours and not wait the 24 hours . I had a big difference in color in the ones that I washed the same day .
Thanks!
AmyLeigh 08:14 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Secondly, any ideas what to do with the bit of leftover dye. I hate to throw it out, since it is so expensive!
The kit I used said to use the dyes within 45 minutes of mixing, so I just threw out the leftovers.
Thriftylady 08:15 AM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
The kit I used said to use the dyes within 45 minutes of mixing, so I just threw out the leftovers.
Probably what I will end up doing. I just hate to throw out good stuff.
Unregistered 09:44 AM 07-19-2016
Can you find white cotton hankies anywhere anymore? We used to tie dye when I had schoolagers and we made bandanas to go with the tshirts.
Thriftylady 12:20 PM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Can you find white cotton hankies anywhere anymore? We used to tie dye when I had schoolagers and we made bandanas to go with the tshirts.
Oh I wish I had some, but I am not sure. But it has been several hours not sure how long the dye does keep.
Mike 03:29 PM 07-19-2016
Doesn't really matter if they wear the shirts tomorrow. Just don't wash them right away. The dye still gets its full 24 hours to cure.
Thriftylady 03:39 PM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
Doesn't really matter if they wear the shirts tomorrow. Just don't wash them right away. The dye still gets its full 24 hours to cure.
Well maybe. But the directions say keep them wet in a plastic bag for the 24 hours. I am not sure. I am just going to give them the 24 hours. The kids could use a lesson in patience!
Mike 03:43 PM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Well maybe. But the directions say keep them wet in a plastic bag for the 24 hours. I am not sure. I am just going to give them the 24 hours. The kids could use a lesson in patience!
Better off keeping them in the bag then.

I just read your other thread. I say take them to the park and make them sit there, for a short visit anyway.
Thriftylady 03:46 PM 07-19-2016
Yeah, I have done fabric dye before and never left it sit that long, but I am afraid these will run together or something.
Tags:t-shirts, tie dye
Reply Up