Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Napping Issue
mymicody 11:45 AM 01-10-2018
I'm new here, hello!! My name is Trish and I'm from Kansas City. I watch two 10mo olds and I LOVE IT! They are really great boys.

HOWEVER... one of them wasn't here for almost 3 weeks over the Christmas break and since he's been back has had issues napping. Before break I would put him down to nap in his pack and play and he would go right to sleep. After the break I put him down and all he does is scream. It's like he forgot how to self soothe. I'm trying so hard to retrain him but this poor baby just screams and never stops! I feel so guilty for letting him cry for so long. How long do you let one scream when you know they are ok. He's not sick, he's not hurt, he's not scared he's just pissed off.

Any advice? He is disrupting the naps of his buddy in the next room. By the end of the day they are both so tired and fussy.

~Trish in KC
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 01-10-2018
Originally Posted by mymicody:
I'm new here, hello!! My name is Trish and I'm from Kansas City. I watch two 10mo olds and I LOVE IT! They are really great boys.

HOWEVER... one of them wasn't here for almost 3 weeks over the Christmas break and since he's been back has had issues napping. Before break I would put him down to nap in his pack and play and he would go right to sleep. After the break I put him down and all he does is scream. It's like he forgot how to self soothe. I'm trying so hard to retrain him but this poor baby just screams and never stops! I feel so guilty for letting him cry for so long. How long do you let one scream when you know they are ok. He's not sick, he's not hurt, he's not scared he's just pissed off.

Any advice? He is disrupting the naps of his buddy in the next room. By the end of the day they are both so tired and fussy.

~Trish in KC
Welcome!!

I'd put the screamer down first and then the other little one.

It's hard after breaks for sure and your situation is very common sadly but I would just continue your same routine day after day. He'll get it after a bit. He did before so he definitely will now...
Ariana 09:40 AM 01-11-2018
I would ask mom what she is doing differently at home because she obviously started doing something different. I would tell her that she needs to resleep train at home and you will do it at daycare as well.

I let kids cry for 15 minutes and then check in. For a check in I will place them down on their mattress and say “night night”. Sometimes I won’t touch them at all if it makes the situation worse and just say “you’re ok night night”. If going in makes it really bad (it did for an infant I had) then I use the baby monitor and don’t go in at all. Your regulations may state something different though so review them.

In my opinion mom should be able to resleep train him over a weekend so if there is no improvement I would term.
Homebody 02:11 PM 01-11-2018
Hi, I'm from the KC area too! I had one that did that after being gone on vacation. It was like starting all over again. I started putting her down about 15 minutes before the other kids, and in a separate room so she wouldn't disturb any of the other kids and would be asleep by the time they went down. She would also wake crying every 30 minutes to an hour, but I had a box fan turned on high and lullaby music on to drown out the crying. Luckily she would cry for just 10 minutes at a time, and it was a pissed off cry like yours. In your case I would just go in every 15 minutes and check on him. Unless he's hysterically crying like there is something wrong I would keep trying, and ask the mom about his nap time routine while he was gone.
Tags:napping issues
Reply Up