Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Waited Too Long...
Unregistered 03:50 AM 01-31-2018
I debated about making a new flu policy for this year, but hesitated. Today 2 of my families have a parent with the flue and they are wanting to ship their kids out to avoid exposure to their kids and get some much needed rest. The kids from these families are under 3 and have colds. Typical colds, but with them so young the coughing and running noses are not contained well at all
amberrose3dg 03:56 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I debated about making a new flu policy for this year, but hesitated. Today 2 of my families have a parent with the flue and they are wanting to ship their kids out to avoid exposure to their kids and get some much needed rest. The kids from these families are under 3 and have colds. Typical colds, but with them so young the coughing and running noses are not contained well at all
They will most likely end up with it. If they are showing signs of a cold. UGH
MomBoss 04:48 AM 01-31-2018
I understand the frustration, the kids are bringing in germs from home and going to expose your daycare. I was also that parent who had the flu so bad i couldnt care for my child and needed them to go to daycare until a grandparent could pick up.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 01-31-2018
I exclude the entire family if anyone living in the home has Influenza. Whether they are able or unable to care for their child is not my concern. They are free to use family/friends but child care is not an option as I don't even want it brought in second hand.

Also just because you don't have a policy now doesn't mean you still can't exclude. I would simply say "In light of the seriousness of Influenza and the fact that children are dying, if anyone in the household has Influenza, please do not come to care. Period."
Mom2Two 08:56 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
They will most likely end up with it. If they are showing signs of a cold. UGH
I read once that colds come on slowly but influenza comes on fast.
Mom2Two 08:57 AM 01-31-2018
To add to the thread...I exclude for runny nose if it's lots/constant. I wipe dck noses myself, and I'm up for it about once every 30 minutes. But if it's constant...well...let's just say that we don't have to share EVERYTHING in daycare, kwim?
amberrose3dg 09:00 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I read once that colds come on slowly but influenza comes on fast.
That's good to know. I'm paranoid every time my throat hurts a little. I normally do not worry too much about illnesses but all the flu hype has me a little nervous.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:18 AM 01-31-2018
Don't crucify me, just adding our experience with this situation so far this year.

Had a dcm test positive for influenza a couple weeks ago. Dcg is 15 mos and continued to come for the week dcm was down. I even had to ask dcm once to not come in my house when she came to drop off so she could get rest. No one else here, including dcg got sick.

DH has had the flu go through his work place, and we have still managed to avoid it.

I have been hesitating to type of any of this because I know as soon as I do it will hit us... but so far so good. So maybe, just maybe, its not guaranteed that everyone will get it.
BrynleeJean 12:58 PM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I exclude the entire family if anyone living in the home has Influenza. Whether they are able or unable to care for their child is not my concern. They are free to use family/friends but child care is not an option as I don't even want it brought in second hand.

Also just because you don't have a policy now doesn't mean you still can't exclude. I would simply say "In light of the seriousness of Influenza and the fact that children are dying, if anyone in the household has Influenza, please do not come to care. Period."
Love this ill be sure to put this is my policies some how for next year, because they'll be symptom free for days while spreading it throughout your house to your family and other children so yes good idea. keep it in the family, stay home.
Snowmom 02:28 PM 02-01-2018
So, I just wanted to add my horror story.

I came down with influenza this past week.
I started feeling "under the weather" last Thursday. No fever, just achy and a bit chilly. I didn't close Friday. It got a little worse Friday, but mainly just a little more run down. A slight fever under 100. I thought it was probably just a cold.

Saturday, I wanted to die.
I tried to manage the fever alternating Advil & Tylenol. It was still 104 on meds, my body was spasming from a combination of chills and the fever. My spine literally felt on fire. Nurses line said it was likely Influenza, but I was out of the range for Tamiflu (which I likely wouldn't have taken anyway). I was a hot heaping, sweaty mess Saturday-Tuesday. I felt like my whole body had been punched.
Wednesday my fever broke for a few hours, then came back.
Today, a bit better.

I have been closed all week, although one family wanted to come back today, since I was feeling better.
Of course I said no.

My point: please do not let anyone knowingly expose you and your littles to this. Err on the side of caution. Always.
MomBoss 02:36 PM 02-01-2018
I was talking to my friend about influenza and how my son has it and she goes “the flu isnt deadly he will be fine..”
Wtf where has she been? 37 children have died..
With me being pregnant i decided to take no chances and will require 48hrs fever free and no other symptoms to be able to come back.
BrynleeJean 08:05 PM 02-01-2018
I was just working PT in a center in town that seems to NEVER send home sick kids and every class got the flu maybe about 1/4 of each class? all kids were fine, but I'm pregnant and had to quit because yea, no risk taking for me i luckily didnt get it the whole time and i was the sub for the numerous teachers that were out with flu. there were even cases were a child would get like flu A and then come back and then get Flu B! both were going around.

it didnt hit like a cold though it was sudden and fever for them, it was like they'd be fine and running around monday and tuesday, and wednesday they just drop like a fly, high temp was the first sign usually after a little bit of lethargy.
amberrose3dg 03:48 AM 02-02-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
So, I just wanted to add my horror story.

I came down with influenza this past week.
I started feeling "under the weather" last Thursday. No fever, just achy and a bit chilly. I didn't close Friday. It got a little worse Friday, but mainly just a little more run down. A slight fever under 100. I thought it was probably just a cold.

Saturday, I wanted to die.
I tried to manage the fever alternating Advil & Tylenol. It was still 104 on meds, my body was spasming from a combination of chills and the fever. My spine literally felt on fire. Nurses line said it was likely Influenza, but I was out of the range for Tamiflu (which I likely wouldn't have taken anyway). I was a hot heaping, sweaty mess Saturday-Tuesday. I felt like my whole body had been punched.
Wednesday my fever broke for a few hours, then came back.
Today, a bit better.

I have been closed all week, although one family wanted to come back today, since I was feeling better.
Of course I said no.

My point: please do not let anyone knowingly expose you and your littles to this. Err on the side of caution. Always.
Feel better! Being that sick is no joke.
This illness spreads extremely fast and that is why parents should take extreme caution.
Tags:flu policy
Reply Up