Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Week Notice, Do You Prorate?
MomBoss 06:33 PM 03-30-2018
I have a childs last day on a tuesday in june. They gave a 2 week deposit that applies to the last 2 weeks of care. Since they want their last day to be a tuesday, how does that work? My rule was you pay regardless if your child is here, so even though the child wont be here wed thur and fri, technically they would still owe for the whole week. Right? So if their last day is May 8, the last 2 weeks applies to the week of april 30-may 4 & may7-11, and they are just forfeiting the last 3 days?
storybookending 07:26 PM 03-30-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I have a childs last day on a tuesday in june. They gave a 2 week deposit that applies to the last 2 weeks of care. Since they want their last day to be a tuesday, how does that work? My rule was you pay regardless if your child is here, so even though the child wont be here wed thur and fri, technically they would still owe for the whole week. Right? So if their last day is May 8, the last 2 weeks applies to the week of april 30-may 4 & may7-11, and they are just forfeiting the last 3 days?
I personally would prorate if they are a family in good standing, esp if giving this much advance notice.
kendallina 05:37 AM 03-31-2018
I would prorate. They are giving more than a two week notice.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:10 AM 03-31-2018
I don't give refunds, so I would just count the two weeks for what it is. If their last day is May 8th, then the money covers Apr 25- may 8th. When they make their last payment for the week of the 23rd, they would only pay for two days, since the others are covered in the two week notice. Hope that makes sense!
bklsmum 12:09 PM 03-31-2018
In my handbook it says that notice must be given on a Friday or it will be effective the following Friday. This solved that problem for me.
lovemydaycare0912 03:03 PM 03-31-2018
I agree with PP above. In your instance now, I'd probably prorate. But going forward, add in your handbook that terminations can only be given on Fridays, cannot include your vacation week and cannot be given during your vacation week. This gives me a block of time that parents can't terminate within. If they want to, they'll just be giving more notice.
Blackcat31 03:29 PM 03-31-2018
My rates are weekly. I don’t break them down so if someone needed care M and T only they’d still pay a weekly rate.

I also accept written notices of withdrawal on Friday’s only. Regardless of how far in advance they give notice.

Keeps my accounting simplified and eliminates even having to discuss pro-rating, partial payments/attendance and refunding.
LysesKids 02:35 AM 04-01-2018
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
In my handbook it says that notice must be given on a Friday or it will be effective the following Friday. This solved that problem for me.

I have the same policy lol
MomBoss 06:37 AM 04-02-2018
Its like every month i find something new to write in my contract. But i only give an updated contract once a year...grr. wish i had it all right the first time.
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 04-02-2018
Its like every month i find something new to write in my contract. But i only give an updated contract once a year...grr. wish i had it all right the first time.
My first couple years in business I gave parents a "notice" along with their updated/yearly copies of their contracts.

The "notice" said that since I was new to this business my policies would be continuously updated/tweaked and amended as I progressed through the process of being a business owner.

I did guarantee that all changes, tweaks and amendments would come with a two week notice of change but that ALL clients should expect a few changes, tweaks and amendments and that it's not cause for panic.

Then every time I had a change in policies I just provided a one sheet notice of the added or changed policy. Had parents sign and date the change and tucked it in my handbook. When I updated/re-wrote at the beginning of the year the added or changed policy was then written in at that time.

So NOTHING wrong with changing policies as you go... you are newer to this business so I think it's fairly common to tweak things as you and your business grows.
hwichlaz 10:21 AM 04-02-2018
Yes, I’d absolutely pro-rate for someone that’s following my contract and giving me lots of notice. I’d be thrilled that they respected me and my policies and reward that by being fair.
daycarediva 10:24 AM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
this.

In your case, I would prorate, it's much more than two weeks, so I would just bill them for those two days and be done.
Tags:prorate, two week notice, two weeks notice
Reply Up