Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shoes
gkids09 02:47 PM 03-17-2010
What is everyone's policy on shoes? Do the kids have to wear them at all times (except nap), or do they have to take them off when they enter your care or what? Our fire marshal came and said they preferred that the kids keep shoes and socks on, especially when it's cold outside, just in case we needed to get out fast. This is all fine and good for every kid but one...He gets mad and IMMEDIATELY takes his shoes and socks off and throws them across the room. Obviously, that's not safe at all to have flying shoes every day. We try to keep him calm, and try to stop him before he starts throwing, but sometimes things happen and we can't stop him in time. I just wondered what everyone else's rules about shoes were.
momma2girls 02:52 PM 03-17-2010
The children always take their shoes off before entering on my carpet. Needless to say the parents don't!!
I actually had to place something in the contract regarding knocking at my door before entering and taking shoes off if they walk past the ceramic tile!!
Former Teacher 02:54 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by gkids09:
What is everyone's policy on shoes? Do the kids have to wear them at all times (except nap), or do they have to take them off when they enter your care or what? Our fire marshal came and said they preferred that the kids keep shoes and socks on, especially when it's cold outside, just in case we needed to get out fast. This is all fine and good for every kid but one...He gets mad and IMMEDIATELY takes his shoes and socks off and throws them across the room. Obviously, that's not safe at all to have flying shoes every day. We try to keep him calm, and try to stop him before he starts throwing, but sometimes things happen and we can't stop him in time. I just wondered what everyone else's rules about shoes were.
How old is the monster
gkids09 03:04 PM 03-17-2010
lol he will be three in June...He is very smart, and very sweet when he wants to be
tymaboy 03:33 PM 03-17-2010
When kids are inside they must have socks or slipper on. Kids have to have shoes to go outside. If I have a kid that takes his socks off then I leave his shoes on till he learns not to take them off.
hawkfan428 03:48 PM 03-17-2010
The center I used to work at used to require us to keep shoes on kids at all times including naptime in case of fire.
I always thought that was a little much...come on...naptime!?
Oh well...most kids were pretty good at keeping them on.
tenderhearts 04:49 PM 03-17-2010
They have to take their shoes off before they come onto my carpet, as well as the parents but like some others some of my parents don't remove their shoes so I put up a sign and most them now abide by it. I dont' care if the kids take their socks off as long as they put them in their shoes when they do, I would rather them be comfortable here in my home and it's a home away from home, I HATE wearing shoes so I wouldn't make others do it. We dont' wear shoes to bed at night and if there was a fire then well we'd be out in bare feet.
mac60 05:04 PM 03-17-2010
No shoes in the house. I have an 5 x 7 area rug in front of my front door, plenty of room to take off your shoes.

I had a 4 yr old once that didn't take his shoes off and after he was here a while I smelled poop, then I got to looking, he had been to his grandpas pig farm, need I say more. Totally had to shampoo 3 rooms of carpet. OMG I was so pissed. Never again. SHOES OFF!
TGT09 05:47 PM 03-17-2010
Shoes off at the front door! My Dck's know that if they take their socks off they HAVE to go in their bag.
misol 07:15 PM 03-17-2010
We have a no shoes rule here too. I don't want whatever is on the bottom of their shoes tracked into my house. On the off chance there is a fire then we will all be outside in our bare feet. We have actually done some of our practice fire drills without any shoes on. All but one of my dc kids keeps their socks on.
Janet 07:31 PM 03-17-2010
I make the kids take off their shoes not only for the dirt tracking reason, but also because it really hurts to get a finger or toe stepped on by a kid with shoes. As far as fire drills go, we do the with no warning, and we just leave without putting on shoes or coats, It;s not like we're staying outside for long at all. I just have them do the drills and come right back in. I times them and see if there are areas that we need to improve on.
originalkat 06:12 AM 03-18-2010
My daycare area is vinyl so I dont really have dirt tracking issues, but most of the kids take off their shoes and socks either when they get here or sometime throughout the morning.

I worked at a center once that required all kids to keep shoes on because of fire safety issues...I was okay with it because I dont want to be putting on and tying 12 pairs of shoes several times a day. In a home setting I dont think it is as big of a deal.
newtoeverything 07:51 AM 03-18-2010
Shoes are off here. I have a home daycare and I like to make it more homey(?). If we have a fire we will just go outside with no shoes on. I'm sure they have more at home anyway....
Persephone 11:45 AM 03-18-2010
Originally Posted by hawkfan428:
The center I used to work at used to require us to keep shoes on kids at all times including naptime in case of fire.
I always thought that was a little much...come on...naptime!?
Oh well...most kids were pretty good at keeping them on.
We were the same way at the center I worked at. And one time we did have a fire alarm go off (someone was baking in the staff kitchen and it started smoking) and I had 1 girl in the 5 year old room who had took her shoes off at nap and everyone was lining up and she was saying, "Where's my shoes?" First thing out of my mouth was "That's why we don't take them off at nap time!"

But when you have a room full of 18 kids all who want their shoes put on and tied, you teach them not to take them off!! It was craziness before that!
gkids09 04:29 PM 03-18-2010
I think I may try the shoes off, but keep socks on..I hate to wear shoes too, so I don't think it's fair to MAKE a kid wear them, even though the fire marshal said they prefer them to wear them. I like the slippers idea too. Do you make them bring their own or do you provide them for everyone?
MarinaVanessa 09:19 AM 03-19-2010
I leave it up to the kids. If were inside they can take their shoes or socks off if they want and just put them in their cubbies. I have tile on the entire 1st floor so cleanliness isn't an issue for me. I have a large dark rug that covers all of my living room except for about two feet or so near the tv (this is our walkway). We have warm weather pretty much all year long and never really gets colder than 50 degrees so nobody minds the tile in the dining room. If it gets cold then I just have them put their socks on or request parent's to buy their kids crocks. I love those crocks. They're so ugly but they look so cute on littles don't they lol.

I know that people say that tile or linoleum is cold but where I live it's always so hot that it feels refreshing. Oh and it's so easy to clean and much more sanitary.
Chickenhauler 02:19 PM 03-19-2010
No shoes past the entry room.

If it's such a fire safety concern in the cold, then children should also be mandated to wear jackets, hats, mittens, scarves and snowpants at all times....never know when the house is going to go up in flames, right?
gkids09 02:28 PM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
No shoes past the entry room.

If it's such a fire safety concern in the cold, then children should also be mandated to wear jackets, hats, mittens, scarves and snowpants at all times....never know when the house is going to go up in flames, right?
Lol! I agree!! I sure won't mention all of that to the fire marshal though, or next thing we'll know that'll be the new rule! There are soooooo many rules that I don't understand...
originalkat 02:43 PM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by chickenhauler:
no shoes past the entry room.

true true...
Tags:clothing - issues, shoes
Reply Up