Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Deck is Too Short
greenhouse 09:48 AM 11-30-2010
I had my new daycare inspection today. The woman was so nice and I passed everything except my deck is not tall enough. Any ideas to remedy?? It's a big thing to have to fix, but I was so happy to hear that my home was clean and organized!
laundrymom 09:51 AM 11-30-2010
not tall enough? I wasnt aware they had to be a standard height,.. hmm,...

Originally Posted by greenhouse:
I had my new daycare inspection today. The woman was so nice and I passed everything except my deck is not tall enough. Any ideas to remedy?? It's a big thing to have to fix, but I was so happy to hear that my home was clean and organized!

Gurdy 09:51 AM 11-30-2010
What does that mean "not tall enough"? The rails are too short or its not high enough off the ground?
melskids 10:54 AM 11-30-2010
probably the rails are to short. they have to be 4 feet high here. hmmm, thats a tough one, unless you want to rebuild you decks i'm gonna have to think about this one.....
greenhouse 12:54 PM 11-30-2010
the deck needs to be at least 4ft high to prevent kids from plummeting into my pool below. It's 3ft all around. The kids won't be on the deck and the inspector, who was awesome, even called her supervisor to see if we could let it slide, but no. It's got to be amended. I think I need to get a good handy man and start brainstorming
Michael 12:55 PM 11-30-2010
Can you post a picture of it here?
melskids 01:08 PM 11-30-2010
i would nail a 1x12 up on its side all the way around. tacky i know...lol
what about some sort of fencing, or even lattice. is it a porch you can see from the road, or you entertain on, or how much do you care how it looks? like for me personally, if it was a front porch, i would rebuild it, but if it was a back porch, i would just tack up something a foot higher to make licensing happy.
countrymom 01:10 PM 11-30-2010
how high is your pool, our regulations state that above ground pools have to be 4 feet or higher (mine is 5 feet) but post a picture and we can all help you
booroo 02:03 PM 11-30-2010
hmmmmm.... tough one... so you have raise it up another ft???, correct????

Well I would say place it on cynder block... redneck style!!... No really... is that an option.. pull it up and place it on blocks of some kinds...

I dont know!!
momofsix 07:35 PM 11-30-2010
Is it the floor of the deck that's 3 feet high? if that's the case, you should just be able to put a railing around it. Our deck was high enough, but at the top of the stairs the gate was a little bit (only 1"!!) lower then the required 4'--we just nailed a board across the topp and that was ok...crazy!
DanceMom 06:07 AM 12-01-2010
You cant lock the door to the deck - child lock or block it with a gate , or a few 2x4's or whatever....something so the kids cannot even get the door to the deck open ? That is what we do here if we do not want a room licensed it has to be blocked off...
AnythingsPossible 06:34 AM 12-01-2010
I would either use lattice and place around the top railing, or build screen panels to put up. We have used lattice on porch railings as the house we were living in at the time had to big of gaps betweens the rails. I suppose you could also use decorative garden fencing to place along the top rail. The real short stuff that people use along flower beds.
greenhouse 12:44 PM 12-01-2010
The deck will not be used and has sliders w/ double locks, but they still want that extra 6" on the rails! I spoke to a handyman today and he's going to use vinyl lattice to extend the height. $400 plus materials. meh. but if this is the only thing that got written up I'll take it. Thanks everyone for your responses
melskids 01:01 PM 12-01-2010
well, it is costly, but dont forget to save your receipts for tax time, at least you can write it off.
Tags:deck, inspection, remodel
Reply Up