Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well State Showed Up ! GRRR
laundrymom 09:00 AM 04-14-2011
ok, so she comes in I have a newborn asleep in a bassinet,.. she cant be in that. Its against safe sleep. well,.. it was approved by safe sleep. You can use a bassinet for children who cant roll over and are within weight guides. I just took the class,... then she goes to my med cabinet in the bathroom, you cant have this in here, (saline solution) , it has alcohol in it, I said, its salt water you know for your eyes!? not rubbing alcohol, saline means salt. no,... she goes to read the ingredients,... says nothing,.. then starts opening up cabinets, says, you need a latch on here, mind you its 4 1/2 feet off the freaking ground! and she is worried about shampoo and tampons. it has a clasp latch but she wants a childproof latch!!! ugh,.. then she goes to my water,.. says its 100.... I said, well its usually between 107 and 114, (it has to be betyween 100 and 120. I think her dial type thermometer is off. I use a digital one specifically designed for food. THEN she goes to the files of the kids, gets me for them not hav ing physical forms signed, they are filled out but not signed by a dr. FROM 3 YEARS AGO !!) mind YOU SHE approved THEM LAST YEAR!!! THE YEAR BEFORE AND THE YEAR BEFORE,... but she is trying EVERYTHING in the world to ding me on something,... and I have no idea what my plan of correction is because her printer isnt working so I have to wait for the mailed copies. Im so upset, I could cry. Ive bent over backwards to be the best I can be, to provide the best care in the world for the kids I keep. she showed up at lunch. I have one family who is a vegatarian, she made snide comments about it, (he told her he was a tarian,.. , he is quite the talkative one) she was not saying the comments loud enough for him to hear, but my son and I heard. I was terribly offended but you know as well as I do that if I complain she will find something else to ding me on,..Like,.. hey you cant wear yellow shirts on thursdays,.. or something like that. Then the one boy says, I love you,... miss J... can I have a hug,.. she says,.. Miss J doesnt have time for a hug right now she has work to do,... I corrected her,.. I flat said,.. I always have time for hugs, THIS is my job. and I walked away from her and hugged him,.. then the others followed suit because you know if one gets hugs, they all have to. ugh,... I know some say "thats why Im not licensed" etc,... you know I understand that, I understand that your choice is to go under radar but I cant possibly meet my goals with only 5 kids in care. I must operate at full capacity for my state in order to provide my family the ways I want to live. I know some would say screw it, just drop the lic. Thats not an option,.. I literally taste national accreditation and THAT rides on my license being renwewed. I cant believe how cold she is. My son who never has a bad thing to say about anyone could not believe how she treats me. How she was talking down to me and how she HAD to find things wrong. I am jst at a loss. a total loss. I feel defeated. absolutely defeated.
KEG123 09:18 AM 04-14-2011
I'm so sorry. Has she been the one to come every single time?
laundrymom 09:20 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
I'm so sorry. Has she been the one to come every single time?
last 5 years.
MyAngels 09:23 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
ok, so she comes in I have a newborn asleep in a bassinet,.. she cant be in that. Its against safe sleep. well,.. it was approved by safe sleep. You can use a bassinet for children who cant roll over and are within weight guides. I just took the class,... then she goes to my med cabinet in the bathroom, you cant have this in here, (saline solution) , it has alcohol in it, I said, its salt water you know for your eyes!? not rubbing alcohol, saline means salt. no,... she goes to read the ingredients,... says nothing,.. then starts opening up cabinets, says, you need a latch on here, mind you its 4 1/2 feet off the freaking ground! and she is worried about shampoo and tampons. it has a clasp latch but she wants a childproof latch!!! ugh,.. then she goes to my water,.. says its 100.... I said, well its usually between 107 and 114, (it has to be betyween 100 and 120. I think her dial type thermometer is off. I use a digital one specifically designed for food. THEN she goes to the files of the kids, gets me for them not hav ing physical forms signed, they are filled out but not signed by a dr. FROM 3 YEARS AGO !!) mind YOU SHE approved THEM LAST YEAR!!! THE YEAR BEFORE AND THE YEAR BEFORE,... but she is trying EVERYTHING in the world to ding me on something,... and I have no idea what my plan of correction is because her printer isnt working so I have to wait for the mailed copies. Im so upset, I could cry. Ive bent over backwards to be the best I can be, to provide the best care in the world for the kids I keep. she showed up at lunch. I have one family who is a vegatarian, she made snide comments about it, (he told her he was a tarian,.. , he is quite the talkative one) she was not saying the comments loud enough for him to hear, but my son and I heard. I was terribly offended but you know as well as I do that if I complain she will find something else to ding me on,..Like,.. hey you cant wear yellow shirts on thursdays,.. or something like that. Then the one boy says, I love you,... miss J... can I have a hug,.. she says,.. Miss J doesnt have time for a hug right now she has work to do,... I corrected her,.. I flat said,.. I always have time for hugs, THIS is my job. and I walked away from her and hugged him,.. then the others followed suit because you know if one gets hugs, they all have to. ugh,... I know some say "thats why Im not licensed" etc,... you know I understand that, I understand that your choice is to go under radar but I cant possibly meet my goals with only 5 kids in care. I must operate at full capacity for my state in order to provide my family the ways I want to live. I know some would say screw it, just drop the lic. Thats not an option,.. I literally taste national accreditation and THAT rides on my license being renwewed. I cant believe how cold she is. My son who never has a bad thing to say about anyone could not believe how she treats me. How she was talking down to me and how she HAD to find things wrong. I am jst at a loss. a total loss. I feel defeated. absolutely defeated.
Don't feel too badly - some people just don't have anything better to do than be a b**ch. I had one licensor (a male) who was the world's biggest pain in the butt. He once stayed an entire day for just what normally is a quickie between renewal visit. I finally told him he had to leave, and I wasn't particularly pleasant about it, either. The next time he came he was very pleasant, and actually fairly quick (it was only a 4 hour visit). Sometimes I think they just feel the need to justify their jobs .
morgan24 09:27 AM 04-14-2011
I think that they need to find something in order to justify the visit. It's like look I did my job by finding something wrong. It's the same way in MI depends on who visits you as to what kind of citations you'll get. I can't say screw licensing because it the law. I got cited for not having a child proof lock on my basement slider. I had one on the last visit she made me remove it because then it wasn't egress. The other one was my fence was 6" to short. It had to be 48" high when you are within 200' of water. The fence was installed 4 years before that rule came into effect and she approved it because it was already there. Go figure. Kudos to you for giving the hugs out.
jen 09:30 AM 04-14-2011
Hugs...I had similar experience with licensing a few years back. The last few times I've had a different licensor, and she was fabulous...but I still haven't forgotten how crappy I felt while that woman was picking me apare. To be honest, I still get a little adrenaline rush when my dogs bark, because I'm wondering whose here. LOL! She gave me post traumatic stress! It's also another reason why I am looking to get out of daycare. The kids are great, but the rest is just too much of a hassle. It simply isn't worth it to me anymore.
daycare 09:31 AM 04-14-2011
I dread the day I have to go through that. I used to freak out about everything being in its place all the time, but then I started a morning check list and it helped. But I know waht you are all saying. It's like they have to find something just so taht they can say they did their job...Which SUCKS

hugs to you....hang in there...like pp said some people have no life and just want to make others miserable...
countrymom 09:36 AM 04-14-2011
I couldn't work like that, I couldn't have people going into my cupboards, thats personal space. I just think its ridicious that she was doing that. Why doesn't she look more into the daycare aspect of it, like food, activities, toys, sleeping arrangements..kwim
DCMom 09:47 AM 04-14-2011
Wow, that's awful! I have had 3 licensors in 22 years. Thank God only one was like that. Before her and currently, I have had the most awesome women for licensors. They were both providers previously, so they 'get it' you know?

I think having been a dc provider should be a pre-requisite to be a daycare licensor!

Take it easy, don't let her get you down. Keep doing a great job, because in the end that's all that matters ~ that YOU know that you are doing a good job.
lil angels 09:53 AM 04-14-2011
I had a horrible experience a few years back she left and I was crying I called and talked to her boss and asked if I could have someone different the next time and he said that he was willing to come with her next time if I liked. That would have been worse I don't want more of those people here. The next time I had them out she didn't come she wasn't a licenser anymore. the next person was great and now I am due in about a month great I am so excited. NOT I feel for you they seem to be great people. Better luck next time.
BentleysBands 10:40 AM 04-14-2011
Its not my thing and glad I live in a state that doesn't require me to be licensed BUT don't down yourself. Your a wonderful loving and caring provider!!!!Hold ur head up and smile. Be proud...u deserve it"!!
Meeko 10:49 AM 04-14-2011
I always fall back on the one thing they can't argue with. If it's not in the rules...they can't cite you on it. If a licensor ever tells you this or that is out of compliance, ask to see the reg where it says that. If they can't show it to you...then you are not out of compliance. Licensors cannot make up the rules as they go along!

Many years ago, I had the licensor from hell. (I found out later that there were "circumstances" she was so anal and we ended up being friendly in the end)...but she wrote me up for things I KNEW were actually just fine. After a heated debate with "head office", every single one of her "findings" were wiped from my record. At the time of her visit I didn't want to argue with her much. Now I don't hesitate.

You can politely say "Oh really? Can you show me that in the rules please?" If they can't....tell them in no uncertain terms that they cannot write you up on made up violations.
Childminder 10:51 AM 04-14-2011
laundrymom, I feel so bad for you that the visit was so bad. Why do they come in on the muscle sometimes?, I just don't understand. I was told by my last renewal licensor that it is VERY rare that nothing is found when she gave me a perfect score.

I've never had the same one twice and my first one was a B!&@#. She cited me for stuff that wasn't any where in the guidelines and come to find out she was inspecting me as a center instead of a family home daycare. She didn't know her a$$ from a hole in the ground but loved the power of her position.

Don't let her freak you out and if the citations are unwarranted ask for the rule in writing WITH the technical guidelines attached. Don't be afraid to consult her superiors.
MommyMuffin 10:56 AM 04-14-2011
OMG!! Seriously laundrymom I know you want to do everything right by licensing but...it sounds to me like you are doing one heck of a good job. I am so sick of all the people saying you have to do it this that and the other way.

Being a daycare provider is darn hard work.

From reading your posts you are excellent and I would love to bring my kids to you.
Abigail 11:11 AM 04-14-2011
Isn't it convenient her printer didn't work so now you have to wait? Nice. I am sorry about your inspection. I've never gone through one so I don't know if they bring a book of rules with them or not. Do you think you would be able to change her invalid write-ups on the things you mentioned by calling and discussing them because maybe she has "cooled down and become realistic" now? I would hate to wait for the results, maybe even drive down to the office and claim your case. Has anyone ever had a person come back a second time to double check invalid claims?
Meeko 11:37 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Isn't it convenient her printer didn't work so now you have to wait? Nice. I am sorry about your inspection. I've never gone through one so I don't know if they bring a book of rules with them or not. Do you think you would be able to change her invalid write-ups on the things you mentioned by calling and discussing them because maybe she has "cooled down and become realistic" now? I would hate to wait for the results, maybe even drive down to the office and claim your case. Has anyone ever had a person come back a second time to double check invalid claims?
Providers here all have a copy of the rule manual. The same one the licensors use. I read it through it all the time. We can also go to the licensing web site and get an exact copy of the checklist they use during inspections. I make sure I am 100% on everything all the time. I still hate having someone snoop through my house, but KNOWING I am compliant makes it easier and it goes by much faster. Never had an un-announced visit last more than 30 minutes. Announced are usually longer as they go over every piece of paperwork. (Takes about an hour as my paperwork is in one big book, all organized by child and up to date.)
laundrymom 03:03 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
The rules have changed so much since I got my handbook. Lol. Mine actually says tummy to sleep. Lol. The thing is,... She found fault with the same records she approved in years past. That's what caught me off guard. And yes,... Last year she came back to redo it twice. My husband had spine surgery so his tb test was delayed due to his incision. Then again because my sons drug test took forever to come back. Also my water was 2 degrees too hot.
broncomom1973 03:13 PM 04-14-2011
I am so sorry you had to go through that. I only became licensed this year, but my inspection (maybe because it was just the initial inspection) went great. The lady was so extremely nice and helpful. She really is the kind of person that wants caregivers to succeed. I hope your next inspection is with someone like her that doesnt try to make your life miserable.
laundrymom 06:18 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by broncomom1973:
I am so sorry you had to go through that. I only became licensed this year, but my inspection (maybe because it was just the initial inspection) went great. The lady was so extremely nice and helpful. She really is the kind of person that wants caregivers to succeed. I hope your next inspection is with someone like her that doesnt try to make your life miserable.
After I fully comply with all her issues I'm going to request a different inspector. I doubt they will. But I am going to ask. If they refuse I'm going to point blank ask her why she hates me so much. Why she is so hardened. I should not be intimidated by her like this. I've spent the afternoon crying. I don't deserve this.
SilverSabre25 05:12 AM 04-15-2011
Wow, laundrymom, I'm so sorry! That sounds like a total nightmare. Yeesh...someone sure had a burr up her butt!
Tags:inspection, inspector
Reply Up