Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Comfort Feeding
mountainside13 10:52 AM 07-03-2014
Dcg is breastfed at home and mom feeds her for comfort instead of hunger often. Mom brings enough for 3 bottles no sooner than 3 hours apart. She takes them like a champ! She has a Binkey but it only holds her off for awhile. She keeps trying to latch on to me

I'm not sure there's anything I can do except ride it out? I haven't had a breast feeding infant in over 3 years, just 10+ months.

Also, she won't take a nap unless she just ate. If she's not asleep in about 10 minutes she won't take a nap.
nannyde 11:14 AM 07-03-2014
Get used to it. It's the new uber mommy technique. Attached to the nipple all day every day and definitely all night.

They don't cry while suckling.

Wait till you get one that does the suckling mouth moves while sleeping. It's really interesting to watch a 15 month old suckle nothing all thru nap.
mountainside13 11:32 AM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Get used to it. It's the new uber mommy technique. Attached to the nipple all day every day and definitely all night.

Wait till you get one that does the suckling mouth moves while sleeping. It's really interesting to watch a 15 month old suckle nothing all thru nap.
Thought so! The crying in between bottles is delaying the activities for the other kids.

I should have mom come to breastfeed in between bottles
GKJNIGMN 11:42 AM 07-03-2014
I have one who just turned 16 months old and still does the sucking in her sleep. DCM moved her to formula right before she started with me at 9 months and at that time she weighed in at 27 lbs. She literally just wanted to be held and fed all day long.

I stuck it out and she adjusted. I had to let her cry but figured she would either get tired and go to sleep or realize nobody was paying attention and play. She does great now.

Keep in mind that if she is fed all the time I can almost guarantee she doesn't sleep alone. My DCM still hasn't gotten DCG to sleep alone a single time. If you are legally allowed where you are at, try one of those swaddleme blankets. It worked wonders with my DCG and I weened her off it. She sleeps in the same room with the other kids now in a pack n play.
AmyKidsCo 11:44 AM 07-03-2014
I've know bottle babies to be comfort fed too.

Hopefully she'll figure out how to self-comfort with the Binkie or her fist.
mountainside13 11:48 AM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by GKJNIGMN:
I have one who just turned 16 months old and still does the sucking in her sleep. DCM moved her to formula right before she started with me at 9 months and at that time she weighed in at 27 lbs. She literally just wanted to be held and fed all day long.

I stuck it out and she adjusted. I had to let her cry but figured she would either get tired and go to sleep or realize nobody was paying attention and play. She does great now.

Keep in mind that if she is fed all the time I can almost guarantee she doesn't sleep alone. My DCM still hasn't gotten DCG to sleep alone a single time. If you are legally allowed where you are at, try one of those swaddleme blankets. It worked wonders with my DCG and I weened her off it. She sleeps in the same room with the other kids now in a pack n play.
I'm guessing she sleeps with mom at least in the same room. I had a talk with mom last week about sleeping after dad made a comment of her not sleeping through the night anymore since she started here and joked that I make her sleep all day. If there's a way to make a child sleep I'm dying to know bc my 6 and 2 yo still don't "sleep through the night!"

Btw she's 3 months old
MotherNature 12:30 PM 07-03-2014
Mom needs to bring you more food. A purely bf baby that age should be eating every 2 hrs at most, on average. Sounds like Mom is trying to schedule feedings. Poor thing is probably ravenous in between. Also, nursing isn't just about food. The comfort thing is completely natural/ I don't think you should discourage that. If mom won't bring you more milk and doesn't want to supplement w/ formula, she could be setting you up to fail. The baby is so young, being comforted is completely natural for her. Mom probably nurses a lot more than every 3 hrs, not a full feeding, but just for a snuggle. If she's not willing to give you what you need to make her child comfortable with you, then I'd put them on probation.
mountainside13 12:51 PM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
Mom needs to bring you more food. A purely bf baby that age should be eating every 2 hrs at most, on average. Sounds like Mom is trying to schedule feedings. Poor thing is probably ravenous in between. Also, nursing isn't just about food. The comfort thing is completely natural/ I don't think you should discourage that. If mom won't bring you more milk and doesn't want to supplement w/ formula, she could be setting you up to fail. The baby is so young, being comforted is completely natural for her. Mom probably nurses a lot more than every 3 hrs, not a full feeding, but just for a snuggle. If she's not willing to give you what you need to make her child comfortable with you, then I'd put them on probation.
Oh no! I didn't mean it that way. I do comfort her but she wants to be breastfed or bottle fed to be comforted. Sometimes her Binkey or just cuddling and rocking her holds off the eating for a little while. Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come off as I wasn't comforting her.
MotherNature 01:19 PM 07-03-2014
Oh, I know! I still think mom needs to provide you with enough milk to comfort her with.
Little Buttons 01:28 PM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:

MOM OF 4 01:32 PM 07-03-2014

Oh goodness. lol That would kill me.
cheerfuldom 02:47 PM 07-03-2014

Actually it is extremely common in many cultures so it is not really "new" in that sense.

However, it is not helpful to provide something for a child as a coping mechanism at home that cannot be replicated at daycare. THAT is the discussion that I would have with mom. I really don't care what parents do at home provided that their techniques are not causing issues at daycare.....in this case, allow baby to constantly comfort nurse is providing baby with only one way to cope, which she won't receive during daycare. Unfair for baby and unfair to the provider.
ACH247 06:54 AM 07-04-2014
I don't think she's eating enough either. I would ask mom to bring more milk.

Eta Babies that young have smaller bellies and if she's acting hungry she probably is.
Controlled Chaos 10:03 PM 07-04-2014
I watch a 5 month old that eats between every 2 and 4 hours. It varies as she hits growth spurts, teething etc. Her mom pumps but leaves me formula so I don't have to feel like I am rationing her.

15 months and making the suckling face at nap - I had a THREE YEAR OLD who's mom used to nurse him when she would pick him up. It was nuts. She stopped once she got pregnant with #2, but a three year old?!

I would ask for more food and give the tiny baby more time to adjust.
nannyde 03:50 AM 07-05-2014
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I watch a 5 month old that eats between every 2 and 4 hours. It varies as she hits growth spurts, teething etc. Her mom pumps but leaves me formula so I don't have to feel like I am rationing her.

15 months and making the suckling face at nap - I had a THREE YEAR OLD who's mom used to nurse him when she would pick him up. It was nuts. She stopped once she got pregnant with #2, but a three year old?!

I'm ALL for extended breastfeeding. I don't think three is too old. I don't really have an age limit to wean. I wouldn't host the feeding after work. I would have her feed in the car or at their house.
wonderfullisa 04:30 PM 07-11-2014

My almost four year old still breastfeeds at bedtime a few nights a week. I'm pregnant and it's starting to hurt, so I'm cutting those back a lot.

I actually tried to get my first to take a paci, but she wouldn't. Then again, she wouldn't eat food til she had turned one. Stubborn thing.
Little Buttons 10:12 PM 07-11-2014

I'm ALL for extended breastfeeding. I don't think three is too old. I don't really have an age limit to wean. I wouldn't host the feeding after work. I would have her feed in the car or at their house.

How long a breastfeeding relationship continues is between a mother and her child end of story! There are tremendous benefits to extended breastfeeding that unfortunately many are unaware of especially in the U.S. Reguardless of this, the mom needs to help and encourage other ways for you to comfort her child when she is away. As well as provide more breastmilk or other nourishment for her child while she is in your care.
nannyde 05:15 AM 07-12-2014
Originally Posted by Little Buttons:

How long a breastfeeding relationship continues is between a mother and her child end of story! There are tremendous benefits to extended breastfeeding that unfortunately many are unaware of especially in the U.S. Reguardless of this, the mom needs to help and encourage other ways for you to comfort her child when she is away. As well as provide more breastmilk or other nourishment for her child while she is in your care.
I think having a three year old attached to the breast all night long is taking it a little far. I can't figure out why a kid that age needs night comfort. (I saw that today on another board)
Reply Up