Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No 2 week notice
MommyMuffin 08:49 AM 08-11-2015
I'm in the licensing process. Should be done by end of October.

Since April I have been caring for a little boy 2 days a week for 4 hours...so total of 8 hours a week. Therefore the income from this is not much. We do not have a contract.

I have been interviewing for fulltime spots in the future. I have a family that would like fulltime care starting next week.

I do not want to do anything illegal. In my state I am only allowed to watch 1 family until licensed.

I would love to fill his spot with a fulltimer...seeing as I can only watch 1 family. I would like to give her a 2 week notice but the family who wants the spot needs care starting next week.

Strictly business speaking...I do not have a contract with the current child. I am leaning towards letting this family go and enrolling the new family. I was going to tell the mother that when I get my license I can watch her little boy again.

I feel bad not being able to give 2 weeks. I am in the south end of town and it can be difficult to fill spots.

What would you do?

Thanks!
Thriftylady 08:53 AM 08-11-2015
Tell her you have a full time family interested in the slot and offer her the option to pay for full time with a contract, or you are giving notice today. Do this in writing and tell her you need an answer by X.
Heidi 08:54 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Tell her you have a full time family interested in the slot and offer her the option to pay for full time with a contract, or you are giving notice today. Do this in writing and tell her you need an answer by X.

daycarediva 10:40 AM 08-11-2015
Yup, offer her the space, or a space on your waiting list when you become licensed.
MarinaVanessa 10:51 AM 08-11-2015
If you don't have a contract then you're not bound to giving a 2 week notice so I'd just give her as much time to decide as possible. I would offer her the full-time spot and tell her today that you need an answer by tomorrow morning. It's unlikely that they'll take you on for FT if they don't need it so just make sure to be firm in telling them that you need an answer by tomorrow no matter what. Get a contract ready tonight and any other paperwork that you'll be required to have once you're licensed so that you have all of this ready by the time you get licensed.

Have a termination notice ready for this family by tomorrow morning and if they don't want the FT spot or don't have an answer for you tomorrow morning then hand them the notice that says that their last day will be the Friday before the new family needs to start then contact the new family and have them come over asap to fill out paperwork, sign a contract and leave their deposit and payment for the first week. I'd reiterate to the new family how important it is for them to sign the contract and leave their deposit as soon as possible to guarantee them the space.

It's nice of you to offer to take your current family back once you get your license but I wouldn't count on it. They are being put in a position of having to find new childcare arrangements in a short amount of time and once they find something it's very unlikely that they'll feel like it's necessary to quit that new child care provider and come back to you.
littletots 10:58 AM 08-11-2015
I agree. Offer slot, move on. I'm in kinda same situation in that I have pt dck, interviewing ft. I'm offering pt family a chance to move into ft or leave. Sorry. Just business.
Reply Up