Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>St. Patrick's Day Art?
Miss A 10:57 AM 02-28-2018
Ok guys, I need process art ideas for St. Patrick's day. 1 have 1-2 year old and 2-18 month olds. They currently have zero interest in using glue, no matter how many times it is offered to them.

I Pinterested, but I am finding a lot of hand/footprint art, and lots of gluing. Help!
happymom 11:26 AM 02-28-2018
Printables they can color
Do you dare decorate sugar cookies?
Magic "green milk" with lunch

I remember one year my in home daycare sent the kids home with a little st patricks day treat that was ADORABLE and it included a few gold chocolate coins and some rainbow ribbon type fruit by the foot candy and it was super cute!
storybookending 11:27 AM 02-28-2018
Last year we made these.. I did most of the assembly but they had fun painting them. My 15 month old loves “painting” with bingo dabbers if you aren’t brave enough for real paint... or are like me and can’t stand the clean up
Attached: D0E1E865-8322-44CC-AD7E-F536EF155DB7.jpg (81.8 KB) 
Miss A 11:41 AM 02-28-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Last year we made these.. I did most of the assembly but they had fun painting them. My 15 month old loves “painting” with bingo dabbers if you aren’t brave enough for real paint... or are like me and can’t stand the clean up
We are doing something similar tomorrow! My 3 love painting
happymom 11:48 AM 02-28-2018
That's a really cute craft!
Miss A 12:11 PM 02-28-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
Printables they can color
Do you dare decorate sugar cookies?
Magic "green milk" with lunch

I remember one year my in home daycare sent the kids home with a little st patricks day treat that was ADORABLE and it included a few gold chocolate coins and some rainbow ribbon type fruit by the foot candy and it was super cute!
I don't know how I missed your post. I think I will print out some shamrock and rainbows and use crayons and markers, we will do the leprechaun face plates, probably 1 hand or footprint art as the parents love them, and then move on to Easter.
amberrose3dg 01:01 PM 02-28-2018
Originally Posted by Miss A:
Ok guys, I need process art ideas for St. Patrick's day. 1 have 1-2 year old and 2-18 month olds. They currently have zero interest in using glue, no matter how many times it is offered to them.

I Pinterested, but I am finding a lot of hand/footprint art, and lots of gluing. Help!
I bought a kit off of Amazon for the kiddos to make their own shamrock crowns.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Baby Beluga 01:27 PM 02-28-2018
These are two of our favorites:

Shaving cream shamrocks (instead of the squeegie, you can use an expired gift card, credit card, grocery card, etc.)

https://www.mamacheaps.com/2017/03/s...raft-kids.html

Marble shamrocks:

http://plainvanillamom.com/2014/03/s...-painting.html

ETA: you could also do negative space finger painting. Tape a shamrock to white paper, allow the kids to finger paint with green paint. Let dry, peel the shamrock off and you have a negative space painting.
Scout 01:58 PM 02-28-2018
I did a fruit loop and marshmallow rainbow in the past. Cute.
Josiegirl 02:46 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
These are two of our favorites:

Shaving cream shamrocks (instead of the squeegie, you can use an expired gift card, credit card, grocery card, etc.)

https://www.mamacheaps.com/2017/03/s...raft-kids.html

Marble shamrocks:

http://plainvanillamom.com/2014/03/s...-painting.html

ETA: you could also do negative space finger painting. Tape a shamrock to white paper, allow the kids to finger paint with green paint. Let dry, peel the shamrock off and you have a negative space painting.
We've done the shaving cream projects like that before, using food coloring and the dcks love them! They come out unique and bright. However, we're not allowed to use shaving cream anymore. Is there anything we could sub for the shaving cream?
Cat Herder 04:08 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Is there anything we could sub for the shaving cream?
Lakeshore sells kids foam sensory paint (five 6oz bottles for $25 ). All the DIY recipes I know include shaving cream, school glue and food color. We can't even substitute whipped cream in those recipes anymore. We loved the DIY foam sidewalk chalk, too.
Josiegirl 04:22 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Lakeshore sells kids foam sensory paint (five 6oz bottles for $25 ). All the DIY recipes I know include shaving cream, school glue and food color. We can't even substitute whipped cream in those recipes anymore. We loved the DIY foam sidewalk chalk, too.
Too rich for my blood. I've come to a point where I'm trying to use up what I have and not invest tons more $$$. That's sad they've taken away so many things and made it more difficult for us providers to afford providing quality care. Huh, imagine that. If they looked close enough, they could find something questionable about every single thing we use. Hey, books give paper cuts.
Cat Herder 04:30 AM 03-01-2018
For the young crowd you can tape some contact paper to the table sticky side up. Let the littles sprinkle it with green and gold glitter. Then place small foam shamrocks over that. Then some shredded multi-colored tissue paper over that (not too much for thickness). Cover with another sheet of contact paper and smooth.

You can then cut out large shamrock shapes and use green craft tape to seal around edges. They are beautiful stained glass art when hung on windows.
Baby Beluga 08:02 AM 03-01-2018
I am legally license exempt...why in the world can't you use shaving cream?

On a side note, I remember the last day of school in elementary school the teacher would have everyone use shaving cream to clean their desks...aging myself?
Miss A 08:26 AM 03-01-2018
I am legally license exempt...why in the world can't you use shaving cream?

On a side note, I remember the last day of school in elementary school the teacher would have everyone use shaving cream to clean their desks...aging myself?
When I worked in a center, only the 3.5-5 year preschool room was allowed to use shaving cream, because of the fear of babies and toddlers ingesting it. The other classrooms were allowed to use whipped cream, until we hit 5 stars on QRIS and then it wasn't allowed because it was not appropriate to use food stuffs for activities when there could be children present in care who's family was struggling to put food on the table.
storybookending 08:31 AM 03-01-2018
This is my sole memory from kindergarten. We did it once a quarter. I was in K in 95’-96’.
Unregistered 08:42 AM 03-01-2018
Sprinkle dry unsweetened kookaid on a piece of whit construction paper you have cut into a shamrock ( sometimes I use white card stock) . Have them dip paint brushes into water and paint over the dry powder. It will instantly turn to a bright green and it smells so good!!!
Unregistered 08:43 AM 03-01-2018
Koolaid!! Not kook!!! 😆
Country Kids 08:43 AM 03-01-2018
I make colored rice then we decorate rainbows with the different colors and hang them up.
Josiegirl 09:41 AM 03-01-2018
Last year I made a poster sized rainbow and outlined each section with a color of the rainbow. Then we hunted all through out arts/crafts/stickers, you name it for anything a color of the rainbow. Then we glued the items in their appropriate sections. Nice group effort that we kept coming back to and the kids were excited to show their moms and dads which things they had put on. Really quite pretty when we were done.

Will have to try the green koolaid craft, that sounds like something they'd love!
We made sparkly green playdough today, they even fought playing with that.
We've also been practicing our Easter egg hunting skills this week. Lol
Miss A 09:49 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sprinkle dry unsweetened kookaid on a piece of whit construction paper you have cut into a shamrock ( sometimes I use white card stock) . Have them dip paint brushes into water and paint over the dry powder. It will instantly turn to a bright green and it smells so good!!!
I love this idea! Adding green Kool-Aid to my shopping list right now!
Baby Beluga 08:29 AM 03-02-2018
Originally Posted by Miss A:
When I worked in a center, only the 3.5-5 year preschool room was allowed to use shaving cream, because of the fear of babies and toddlers ingesting it. The other classrooms were allowed to use whipped cream, until we hit 5 stars on QRIS and then it wasn't allowed because it was not appropriate to use food stuffs for activities when there could be children present in care who's family was struggling to put food on the table.
Well, when put this way I can understand the whipped cream.
Josiegirl 03:21 PM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I went to 3 stores yesterday, looking for green koolaid! I finally had to buy some other lemon-lime powder mix. But it still smelled good.
Tags:arts and crafts, saint patrick's day - ideas
Reply Up