Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Universal Childcare Rules and Regulations
Cat Herder 10:50 AM 08-04-2011
....and Representation by peers in the business.

Oh, but to dream.......
Crystal 10:59 AM 08-04-2011
may happen sooner than you think.....
Cat Herder 11:10 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
may happen sooner than you think.....
I wish... I am TIRED of having to adapt to new rules, regs and building requirements every 3 months or so...

It is expensive and exhausting.

I want them to just give me a firm, clear set of Black and White guidelines, IN PRINT. I will pay for the dang printing myself, I don't care.

Give me a reasonable deadline to accomplish this...no more baby steps crap..that is irritating.

Then back away and let me get back to work....YKWIM???
juliebug 11:13 AM 08-04-2011
it would be so easier for everyone to if it was the same everywhere!
familyschoolcare 11:51 AM 08-04-2011
except at least here in cal. they can not agree on how to interrupt the reg we already have. What does inaccessible mean? In some counties putting your knifes on the counter in a block is OK and in others it is not. Universal written regs. will not change this problem.
Cat Herder 11:56 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
except at least here in cal. they can not agree on how to interrupt the reg we already have. What does inaccessible mean? In some counties putting your knifes on the counter in a block is OK and in others it is not. Universal written regs. will not change this problem.
Sure it would. It would get rid of the State/County interference and political maneuvering.

At least in my dreams....
momofsix 11:59 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
....and Representation by peers in the business.

Oh, but to dream.......
The representation is the key! I think it could be great. it could also be awful if they take the most restrictive laws from each state and use those. There are times when I read posts about other state regs and think "really, they are allowed to do that! I wish!" and other times I read something and think "No way would I be licensed in that state!"
familyschoolcare 12:12 PM 08-04-2011
Sure it would. It would get rid of the State/County interference and political maneuvering.

At least in my dreams....
except the problem I am talking about is in deciding what the regs. mean not in political maneuvering (what ever it is you man by that.
Crystal 12:21 PM 08-04-2011
From 2009 through 2010 I participated in a nationwide discussion amongst Early Childhood Professionals and political leaders. I was involved in this through the California Early Childhood Mentor Program and all mentors, statewide, particpated in the Nationwide discussion. This discussion started from readings of the book "Ready or Not" and evolved into a discussion about Nationwide Standards/Regs for ALL child care programs. We defined competencies for early educators and defined some of the universal regs that we would stand behind.

There is a momentum for what you are talking about to actually happen, it's just a matter of WHEN, not IF.
nannyde 12:38 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
The representation is the key! I think it could be great. it could also be awful if they take the most restrictive laws from each state and use those. There are times when I read posts about other state regs and think "really, they are allowed to do that! I wish!" and other times I read something and think "No way would I be licensed in that state!"
I agree

Things like

you have to keep your door unlocked every day all day.
Parents are allowed to come into your home whenever they want for as long as they want.
No confinement equipment
When infants are awake they have to be on the floor or in your arms
No discipline... only redirection

stuff like that there

I call them "burn out" regulations

That's the kind of stuff that will regulate us to the point where the bulk of the kids have to go into center care where there are huge turnovers of staff. The system designed to have low paid workers who come in and do short stints... burn out... and then new ones to replace.
mom2many 12:47 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
This is my biggest pet peeve with CA licensing! It's aggravating when even within my counties own agency, they can't figure out what "inaccessible" means! I've had one LPA tell me one thing and the next one write me up for it! Makes me sooooo crazy!
Cat Herder 12:49 PM 08-04-2011
From 2009 through 2010 I participated in a nationwide discussion amongst Early Childhood Professionals and political leaders. I was involved in this through the California Early Childhood Mentor Program and all mentors, statewide, particpated in the Nationwide discussion. This discussion started from readings of the book "Ready or Not" and evolved into a discussion about Nationwide Standards/Regs for ALL child care programs. We defined competencies for early educators and defined some of the universal regs that we would stand behind.

There is a momentum for what you are talking about to actually happen, it's just a matter of WHEN, not IF.
Is that another buzz word label?

Was it actually a REAL LIFE representation of the childcare community or a few hand picked/cherry picked for their political beliefs?

That is what just happened here.

I want to believe you in the worst possible way.
Michelle 12:49 PM 08-04-2011
yea, but there are some regs that other states have that I don't want, like parents writing reviews (or whatever it's called) of my daycare!! no way!
and yearly inspections!

And other states would never be able to deal with our Calif. regs., like no bouncers or walkers.

So I think I'm pretty happy where I am, I hate walkers and swings .. I love exersausers though
we have inspections every 3 years!
Crystal 01:02 PM 08-04-2011
Is that another buzz word label?

Was it actually a REAL LIFE representation of the childcare community or a few hand picked/cherry picked for their political beliefs?

That is what just happened here.

I want to believe you in the worst possible way.
Not a buzz word....just what many providers call themselves

This was a very diverse group of people, from state-funded, private-pay, FCC and center based programs. No cherry picking.....I can tell you the mentor teacher section of it come from a wide variety of backgrounds, have many differing beliefs and practice many different approaches in our work with children. There was a significant amount of disagreement that we had to work out because we are SO different from one another. But, it was productive and meaningful and I am looking forward to continuing the debate/discussion over the next couple of years.
Cat Herder 01:22 PM 08-04-2011
Not a buzz word....just what many providers call themselves

This was a very diverse group of people, from state-funded, private-pay, FCC and center based programs. No cherry picking.....I can tell you the mentor teacher section of it come from a wide variety of backgrounds, have many differing beliefs and practice many different approaches in our work with children. There was a significant amount of disagreement that we had to work out because we are SO different from one another. But, it was productive and meaningful and I am looking forward to continuing the debate/discussion over the next couple of years.
I would so LOVE to be able to do that.

Well, I will just sit back and hope... It is kind of like "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" to me.....
Crystal 01:53 PM 08-04-2011
I would so LOVE to be able to do that.

Well, I will just sit back and hope... It is kind of like "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" to me.....
When we begin our next round, I'll see if I can invite you to be a part of it.
nannyde 02:08 PM 08-04-2011
There's never been a time in the 18 years I have done home child care where there hasn't been a national discussion about national standards.
familyschoolcare 02:12 PM 08-04-2011
universal reg. may look like a federal food program. reg. are universal but it is up to the state to enforce.
sharlan 02:18 PM 08-04-2011
I just CA would eliminate some of the gray, open to personal interpretation, areas.

I've read the 89 pages of regs, over and over, it really doesn't say a lot.
Blackcat31 02:24 PM 08-04-2011
The differences in all the state regs makes one think about why were the regulations and rules put into place in the beginning. Was it because of an accidental death or injury to a child? Because of a family complaint? Who makes the regulations and who says why?

Are there statistics that can show us which states, types of facilities or situations has had the most deaths or injuries. Is California strict because like warning labels, so many things have happened that the higher up people are forced to make a new rule to cover their butts or the providers butts?

In what capacity do a majority of FCC deaths and injuries occur? Are they provider related (not enough education/skills/patience etc) or are they environmentally related?

I would love to see a study done that shows that since California (or wherever) has decided not to allow exersaucers or bouncers and swings, has the number of deaths and/or injuries decreased? What sort of impact does all these rules have on FCC? Do providers burn out or get forced out due to all these crazy regulations and rules?

Wow, I didn't think I had so many questions and I am all over the place with them but I guess statistics fascinate me. I LOVE information!
familyschoolcare 02:37 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I just CA would eliminate some of the gray, open to personal interpretation, areas.

I've read the 89 pages of regs, over and over, it really doesn't say a lot.
yes, a big part of the problem is the regs. in cal or not always very specific.
Tags:consistency, education, guidance, guidelines, national accreditation, regulations, rules, state requirement, support, union
Reply Up