Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training a Boy!
Unregistered 08:23 AM 11-18-2013
I have raised 4 girls, babysat countless nieces and nephews I have NEVER had occasion to potty train a boy? I have a 3(in FEB) boy that mom took an extended weekend to potty train. And he did good for her. Today is his 1st day back with me and no idea what to do. He is standing to pee mom said. OK. But, sorry for the TMI or ignorance here, BUT do I hold it? Does he hold IT. THeres nothing there to HOLD! I have a short toilet, not kid size but short and I have a stool for him to stand on but I can just see pee spraying EVERYWHERE! lol There is no way way this child can sit to pee due to his little thunder thighs not spreading wide enough to hold IT down. HELP!
DaycareMom 08:30 AM 11-18-2013
All the boys I have helped potty train have started out SITTING. They sit and put IT in the potty. Once they get the hang of that and are going all by themselves, they stand. Parents teach them this - not me!
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
All the boys I have helped potty train have started out SITTING. They sit and put IT in the potty. Once they get the hang of that and are going all by themselves, they stand. Parents teach them this - not me!
I agree but the boys I've had sit backwards. This makes them automatically "aimed" into the toilet.

I agree with you too about who's responsibility this is... I support parents in potty training but I don't teach or introduce anything.
jenboo 08:36 AM 11-18-2013
every boy i have trained starts sitting down (helps them learn to poop on the potty, too). If he have big thighs, he might have to take his pants all the off so he can spread his legs. If he doesnt know how to point it down, hold his hand in yours and use his finger to poke it down until he learns how to do it.
Unregistered 10:19 AM 11-18-2013
My boys both learned standing up. My 3.5 year old ds stands on either the ground or step stool and just aims in lol Sometimes he leans over and puts his hands on the back of the toilet.

Neither one knows how to go sitting or aim down in that manner. My nephews learned by having a cheerio put in the toilet to aim at.

I honestly just never considered that I could teach them sitting down so I didn't.

I had one other DCB who learned standing and I have 2 younger ones now who are learning on a training potty sitting down. I have just stuck with whatever the parents started doing and worked closely with them. Because they need to have started at home, I have never bothered trying at the point where there was even a question of if the child knew what he was doing.
Unregistered 10:20 AM 11-18-2013
Sorry and to add on to my last response, you should not be needing to hold on to anything. The DCB I had that went standing held it himself. My own boys don't hold it at all, they just aim their bodies.
Cradle2crayons 12:17 PM 11-18-2013
I potty train all boys standing.

No need to hold it, it's short enough that all they have to aim is their actual body if they are on a step stool.
Tags:potty training, potty training - boys
Reply Up