Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Walkthrough Times
Pandaluver21 03:02 PM 06-25-2018
I've searched and found some different answers but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's to having walkthrough's during business hours or after.
We used to have them while kid were here, but close to pick up. This was good because prospective parents could talk to current parents and get good references. However, this did get a big hecktic!
We have also done wakthrough's during outside play time, so their child(ren) can interact with the other kids and we can talk with parents.
Currently we have walkthrough's right after hours (about 15minutes after closing) but i'm not sure how much I'm liking it.

What do you do? Pro's and Con's?
CityGarden 04:57 PM 06-25-2018
Personally I like to do tours right as I open....

- the space is clean and set up for the day
- they can see the program in a natural drop off state and see other parents
- I can see if they run on time, late, early, etc.

I set limits/expectations on how long they can stay in advance when scheduling the appointment so they know the time is limited to 30 minutes.

Drop off is tough in summer though with my SA dd often running late for summer school, etc. so I have been doing them about 30 minutes after work this summer... it is okay but when they no show or want to chat for an hour I really dislike it in my evening time.
Jupadia 06:07 PM 06-25-2018
I do mine after hours, preferably with about 15 min after closing at 6pm though I'm willing to go as late as 7pm. I use to do them when I first began in the am between snack and before lunch prep time. But it would cut into our outdoor time. As well I hated letting people in I did not know while I had kids there. After hours allows me to have my husband home for safety, as well as take my boys off my hands. I find I can communicate with the parents more effectively without the daycare kids present who always go a little nuts or I have one baby that's why and will cry during visits making it hard to talk. Another plus is I an easily show both the indoor and outdoor space without having to worry about how to do it with kids present. I can't see myself switching back just because this works better overall.
e.j. 07:17 PM 06-25-2018
When I first started doing day care, I tried holding interviews during work hours but found it too stressful. The day care kids acted up to the point where I didn't recognize some of them! I also found it hard to interact with the visiting child and listen/talk to the parents interviewing with me. I found it was much easier for me to schedule interviews after the day care closed or on weekends. It's calmer, the house is clean, it's much easier for me to give the interviewing family my undivided attention and I don't have to worry about kids misbehaving. The downside is, I have to give up some of my down time but to me, it's worth it. There is also the chance that the parents will ask to come at a time when they can see me and the kids in action - which then brings that risk of the kids acting up again! In 20 years, I've been asked for that only a couple of times, though, and I was able to set a time limit.
LysesKids 03:33 AM 06-26-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
When I first started doing day care, I tried holding interviews during work hours but found it too stressful. The day care kids acted up to the point where I didn't recognize some of them! I also found it hard to interact with the visiting child and listen/talk to the parents interviewing with me. I found it was much easier for me to schedule interviews after the day care closed or on weekends. It's calmer, the house is clean, it's much easier for me to give the interviewing family my undivided attention and I don't have to worry about kids misbehaving. The downside is, I have to give up some of my down time but to me, it's worth it. There is also the chance that the parents will ask to come at a time when they can see me and the kids in action - which then brings that risk of the kids acting up again! In 20 years, I've been asked for that only a couple of times, though, and I was able to set a time limit.
I do my meet and greets/walk thru's after hours also. I stopped allowing the drop-ins to see me in action during the day years ago because it always upsets my littles (all under 24 months), plus I found most of the parents that requested it never signed.
DaveA 05:10 AM 06-26-2018
I usually do interviews a half hour to an hour after closing. Gives me time to makes sure stuff is clean, grab a bite to eat, and make sure paperwork is ready. Plus that means DW is usually home so they can meet her.

I don't do interviews during DC hours unless absolutely necessary. DCKs seem to hold a contest to see who can be the biggest pain.
Snowmom 06:11 AM 06-26-2018
I do all initial interviews about 15 minutes-30 minutes after closing.

It's a security thing for me. I want my husband home with my own two schoolagers and I don't want unknown adults interacting with the littles. When I schedule it, I tell them "for the safety and security of the other children, I schedule all initial interviews after hours between 5-6pm."

They are free to drop off paperwork during business hours since it's a brief exchange.
daycarediva 11:09 AM 06-26-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I usually do interviews a half hour to an hour after closing. Gives me time to makes sure stuff is clean, grab a bite to eat, and make sure paperwork is ready. Plus that means DW is usually home so they can meet her.

I don't do interviews during DC hours unless absolutely necessary. DCKs seem to hold a contest to see who can be the biggest pain.
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I do all initial interviews about 15 minutes-30 minutes after closing.

It's a security thing for me. I want my husband home with my own two schoolagers and I don't want unknown adults interacting with the littles. When I schedule it, I tell them "for the safety and security of the other children, I schedule all initial interviews after hours between 5-6pm."

They are free to drop off paperwork during business hours since it's a brief exchange.

THIS.

a complete stranger around my littles? no way.
Tags:tours
Reply Up