Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seriously So Tired Of Late Pays
lovemykidstoo 06:06 AM 07-13-2018
I get paid bi-weekly. I was on vacation last week, so that was not a pay week anyway. To keep with the schedule, I posted on my daycare fb page on Tuesday that this to keep with the schedule that this week would be a pay week. EVeryone saw it. So my Tuesday/Thursday person didn't pay yesterday. I have on my info sheet that people sign that there is a $10 per calendar late fee. I am just sick to death of almost every single pay having a select 3 out of 10 people that are late. I am sick to death of having to remind people that payment is due. How can I word a post regarding this? I want to be firm but not bitchy even though I should be.
rosieteddy 06:26 AM 07-13-2018
I implemented a new payment method when that kept happening to me.I did not want a late fee,I wanted my pay.I gave 2 weeks notice to change payment schedule.I wrote that due to so many late payments all clients will pay pre dated checks for each month at beginning of month.The first Monday of the month I collected all checks for that month.The clients dated them for date I wanted.Eventually I was paid one month ahead.Worked well both ways.
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I get paid bi-weekly. I was on vacation last week, so that was not a pay week anyway. To keep with the schedule, I posted on my daycare fb page on Tuesday that this to keep with the schedule that this week would be a pay week. EVeryone saw it. So my Tuesday/Thursday person didn't pay yesterday. I have on my info sheet that people sign that there is a $10 per calendar late fee. I am just sick to death of almost every single pay having a select 3 out of 10 people that are late. I am sick to death of having to remind people that payment is due. How can I word a post regarding this? I want to be firm but not bitchy even though I should be.
When Tuesday/Thursday person arrived on Thursday, did you ask for the payment that was due? Did you/she/he mention it?

If not, why?

I understand that providers don't like confrontation but seriously, if you like being paid then you have to take the lead and stop thinking that it's okay that providers just sit and "wait" for clients to suddenly become financially responsible payers. It's just not going to happen.

9 out of 10 times I don't think it has anything to do with money but more to do with negative behaviors simply because the provider won't or doesn't take a stronger stance. It's like watching a complicated choreographed dance routine for dominance and everyone is too afraid to take the lead.

I don't mean this rude or harshly at all but until you DO something about this, it's not going to change.

In many cases, it would be much less stressful if the provider simple did this job for free. Most are already do (due to their aversion to 'confrontation") .

I have no issues discussing payment openly with clients or in extreme cases straight up holding my hand out and asking where their weekly payment is at drop off.

I like being paid
Cat Herder 06:35 AM 07-13-2018
No pay, No stay.

Stop them at the door during drop off.

They pay or they go home.
DaveA 06:43 AM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
No pay, No stay.

Stop them at the door during drop off.

They pay or they go home.
This times 10.

My contract is written so fees are assessed on Monday if not paid, doubled on Tuesday, and DCF is denied care until paid in full on Wednesday.
lovemykidstoo 06:44 AM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When Tuesday/Thursday person arrived on Thursday, did you ask for the payment that was due? Did you/she/he mention it?

If not, why?

I understand that providers don't like confrontation but seriously, if you like being paid then you have to take the lead and stop thinking that it's okay that providers just sit and "wait" for clients to suddenly become financially responsible payers. It's just not going to happen.

9 out of 10 times I don't think it has anything to do with money but more to do with negative behaviors simply because the provider won't or doesn't take a stronger stance. It's like watching a complicated choreographed dance routine for dominance and everyone is too afraid to take the lead.

I don't mean this rude or harshly at all but until you DO something about this, it's not going to change.

In many cases, it would be much less stressful if the provider simple did this job for free. Most are already do (due to their aversion to 'confrontation") .

I have no issues discussing payment openly with clients or in extreme cases straight up holding my hand out and asking where their weekly payment is at drop off.

I like being paid
I do ask for payment, trust me. Yesterday was nuts I was trying to leave fast because I had evening plans and when I have so many families with different schedules ie tuesday/thursday, monday, tuesday, friday, monday/friday, full time etc, sometimes I lose track until I sit down and do my books on who has/hasnt' paid. I guess my point of the post is, I am sick to death of telling people that I need to be paid. I would like it to be friday and just get fricken paid without having to remind people. I am not afraid to tell them, but am tired of doing so.
lovemykidstoo 06:46 AM 07-13-2018
lol and I just got a text from Tuesday/Thursday not to fret that she set a reminder to come on today on her lunch to pay me. I hadn't sent her a reminder yet.
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 07-13-2018
I do ask for payment, trust me. Yesterday was nuts I was trying to leave fast because I had evening plans and when I have so many families with different schedules ie tuesday/thursday, monday, tuesday, friday, monday/friday, full time etc, sometimes I lose track until I sit down and do my books on who has/hasnt' paid. I guess my point of the post is, I am sick to death of telling people that I need to be paid. I would like it to be friday and just get fricken paid without having to remind people. I am not afraid to tell them, but am tired of doing so.
lol and I just got a text from Tuesday/Thursday not to fret that she set a reminder to come on today on her lunch to pay me. I hadn't sent her a reminder yet.
Will she have a late fee attached?

If not, do so...that removes you having to remind them.
If the late fee is high enough you won't have to remind them ever again.

MUCH of my business is conducted without discussion.

My rules in regards to payment and/or scheduling have natural (and stiff) consequences. NONE of which are waived or disregarded. That alone creates a firm but simple guideline for payment and thus reduces me having to say a single word.

Case in point, a DCD (new-ish clients) just dropped off (mom does 99% of drop offs/pick ups). No payment.
It's due at pickup which is 3:30 for this family.

I didn't say a word but 5 minutes after DCD dropped off, he returned with a check. Said DCM (who is out of town) texted him and told him to remember to pay today.

They couldn't afford the late fee come Monday and they really need daycare so those consequences influenced their memory skills so they didn't forget to pay, didn't need reminding or discussion from me. Win-win

I think it takes a bit of time but if you have set consequences with little room for anything but timely payments, you won't have to continue discussing or reminding parents. You just have to enforce your rules and make sure that whatever your consequences are they are influential enough to actually motivate the client to follow the policy every single time.
lovemykidstoo 07:12 AM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Will she have a late fee attached?

If not, do so...that removes you having to remind them.
If the late fee is high enough you won't have to remind them ever again.

MUCH of my business is conducted without discussion.

My rules in regards to payment and/or scheduling have natural (and stiff) consequences. NONE of which are waived or disregarded. That alone creates a firm but simple guideline for payment and thus reduces me having to say a single word.

Case in point, a DCD (new-ish clients) just dropped off (mom does 99% of drop offs/pick ups). No payment.
It's due at pickup which is 3:30 for this family.

I didn't say a word but 5 minutes after DCD dropped off, he returned with a check. Said DCM (who is out of town) texted him and told him to remember to pay today.

They couldn't afford the late fee come Monday and they really need daycare so those consequences influenced their memory skills so they didn't forget to pay, didn't need reminding or discussion from me. Win-win

I think it takes a bit of time but if you have set consequences with little room for anything but timely payments, you won't have to continue discussing or reminding parents. You just have to enforce your rules and make sure that whatever your consequences are they are influential enough to actually motivate the client to follow the policy every single time.
Absolutely she's adding in the late fee. I charge $10 per day. Apparently not high enough lol.
Cat Herder 07:25 AM 07-13-2018
Absolutely she's adding in the late fee. I charge $10 per day. Apparently not high enough lol.
To some people that simply means you allow late payments.

If you truly want it to stop you must send them home. It only needs to happen once. They get with the program or move on.
LysesKids 08:08 AM 07-13-2018
I have 2 set days for pay each month with the exception of Drop-ins... the 1st or 1st & 15th lol. No pay, no stay & if you don't pay the contract fees it automatically switches to Pay by the day/Drop-in care ( which is a higher fee per day) if you are even one day late and my contract states that in Bold... I want my $$ and it's paid before I care for your child. Only had one issue in all the years I have done it this way... I don't want the late fee, I want to be paid on time so my bills get paid
lovemykidstoo 09:09 AM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I have 2 set days for pay each month with the exception of Drop-ins... the 1st or 1st & 15th lol. No pay, no stay & if you don't pay the contract fees it automatically switches to Pay by the day/Drop-in care ( which is a higher fee per day) if you are even one day late and my contract states that in Bold... I want my $$ and it's paid before I care for your child. Only had one issue in all the years I have done it this way... I don't want the late fee, I want to be paid on time so my bills get paid
Exactly, I don't want the late fees either. I just want people to be responsible and pay me on time. Maybe I'll forget to be here Monday morning when they drop off lol. See how they like it when I "forget". I think the people I have would never be able to remember twice a month. Although one time I did have someone that paid me every 2 months. It was nice that I had the money, but then had to be disciplined so I didn't spend it. They put it all in 1 check.
Ariana 09:36 AM 07-13-2018
Maybe $10 is not incentive enough. Try raising the price for every offence. First is $10, second is $50 and third offence is $100. Anything after that is immediate termination. Give everyone a revised copy “due to consistent late payments I have ammended my contract as follows” and then have then sign and date it.

Might be time to play hard ball if this is a consistent problem.
Annalee 09:46 AM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
To some people that simply means you allow late payments.

If you truly want it to stop you must send them home. It only needs to happen once. They get with the program or move on.
A provider friend shared with me if you have a late fee for payment in the contract, it means you will accept late payments just like if you have a late fee for pickup, parents will think they can be late.....so true!
Blackcat31 09:56 AM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Maybe $10 is not incentive enough. Try raising the price for every offence. First is $10, second is $50 and third offence is $100. Anything after that is immediate termination. Give everyone a revised copy “due to consistent late payments I have ammended my contract as follows” and then have then sign and date it.

Might be time to play hard ball if this is a consistent problem.

My late payment fees are structured like that.
First late payment is $10 per calendar day
Second late payment is $20 per calendar day
Third late payment is immediate termination.

I haven't had issue with late payments in a really long time. I am also very clear with clients that I do not have polices that are waivable or flexible.
LysesKids 10:08 AM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
A provider friend shared with me if you have a late fee for payment in the contract, it means you will accept late payments just like if you have a late fee for pickup, parents will think they can be late.....so true!
Exactly why I don't have a late pay fee... my Full time contracts automatically becomes drop-in and I start looking to replace; all it took was everyone to see me do it to one parent - nobody pulled late pay again, and the one mom was super pissed she was paying more for the same hrs only they weren't guaranteed anymore. She walked away never to be seen again the next week
kidsncats 08:24 PM 07-16-2018
During my years of caring for children I've found the parents that abuse a late payment policy are usually the same parents each time.

On that note, I like being my own boss and setting my own rules in which case I can afford to be flexible. My weekly rates are on the high end and I don't hesitate to explain that I'm flexible in most areas of policy. This doesn't mean they all take advantage of my leniency. Most parents don't. But options are there and I'm open to the extra money fees bring in.
knoxmomof2 09:34 PM 07-23-2018
I'm like others - I don't want their late fees, I just want to be paid on time. I only accept payment in advance. All of my clients pay electronically. It's due by Sunday night at 9. If I don't see it by then, I send a quick text reminding them. I make it clear in the interview that drop off time is hectic and I do not want to have to deal with payment issues - plus, their child is not allowed to stay if I haven't received payment for the week. I would much rather send a quick reminder text than to deal with the unpleasantries of turning someone away at the door, etc...I would do it, but I prefer not to have to in the first place.
lovemykidstoo 05:13 AM 07-24-2018
The one family that I tend to have this issue with most likely will be leaving shortly. She's the one that I have to bump her youngest out for about 5 weeks due to a longer term family enrolling their 2nd child. She wasn't happy with her child getting bumped, but I had to adjust the schedule somehow and the other family has a better schedule, more days, longer time with me, pays early, never late. So hoping they leave because i have 2 on my wait list that I'd rather have anyway
Tags:enforcing policies, enforcing policies - consistency, late payment, no pay no play, no payment, payment - bi-weekly
Reply Up