Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT - Toddler Eats Non-Food Items
Hunni Bee 08:49 PM 05-28-2011
My eighteen month old nephew is starting to worry us...he eats paper, fuzz, strings, foam, dirt...all kinds of inedible stuff thats dangerous for him. And I mean he just doesnt see random stuff on the floor and put it in his mouth, he seeks this stuff out. He takes the lid off the trash can to find paper to eat, he eats people's shoes and clothing...

We don't know what's causing him to crave this stuff. He's very healthy, he has a great appetite for all foods - we don't even allow him to eat snack foods or junk like french fries and chicken nuggets, just occasionally. He even gets that he's not supposed to eat paper and fuzz, so he sneaks and does it.

Is this normal??...none of the kids at my center his age do this. And is there anything we can do to stop him?
SilverSabre25 09:22 PM 05-28-2011
I remember liking to chew on balls of fuzz that I pulled off the blanket on my parents' bed...but what you're describing sounds a LOT more severe. Sounds like actual pica to me. Have you asked his doctor about it? I forget what causes pica, a mineral deficiency maybe?
Hunni Bee 10:33 PM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I remember liking to chew on balls of fuzz that I pulled off the blanket on my parents' bed...but what you're describing sounds a LOT more severe. Sounds like actual pica to me. Have you asked his doctor about it? I forget what causes pica, a mineral deficiency maybe?
I read up on pica a little bit, and it definitely sounds like him. He just had his 18 month appointment, and I don't think his mom asked the doctor about it, but we can call her. Thank you.
nannyde 04:08 AM 05-29-2011
Sounds like PICA

I would definitely tell his Doc right away and then start putting in some behavioral stops for him.
Sunshine44 06:10 AM 05-29-2011
Iron deficincy?
Ms. Stephanie 11:22 AM 05-29-2011
I have a little girl that I think has pica. She eats sand, dirt, sticks, grass, you name it. Shes around 14 mos. It's not an exploration thing anymore... It's like she enjoys it.

We just keep her under supervision at all times and discourage eating non food things.

Could it be an oral thing? I have another child who is almost 2 and drives me bonkers by putting EVERYTHING in his mouth. When I tell him to stop he throws it at me. Super gross. I think his is more an oral fixation problem.
countrymom 02:46 PM 05-29-2011
I will tell you its either normal (I've had kids who do this) or its iron deficiancy. I have a 3 yr old boy who does this and no matter how much I keep telling the parents that he needs to be tested they think its funny. 2 weeks ago he was found in the fridge drinking syrup.
Hunni Bee 09:01 PM 05-29-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Sounds like PICA

I would definitely tell his Doc right away and then start putting in some behavioral stops for him.
What can we do on the behavioral end?

We always take it from and say "NO EAT PAPER" or something similar. But he cries when we take it and he just goes and finds more to eat, and we cant eliminate every shred of loose paper and fuzz in the house...it doesn't even have to be loose, he tears paper out of books to eat, he chews up his stuffed animals and clothing...
Tags:eating issues, won't eat
Reply Up